2002 Hyundai engine light

Hi all! My Hyundai has been acting a little weird lately. The engine comes on whenever I drive 40-45 mph consistently for a period of 5 minutes or so. Once I drop my speed down or accelerate above those speeds, the engine light goes off. The car continues to drive normally with no unusual noises or other indications that anything is wrong. Any idea what it could be?

As a side note, the car just recently started turning itself off when I leave it in idle. It made a kind of sputtering noise, then the engine shut off. It turned back on just fine, but it's never done that before. Could these things be related?

Thanks for all your help!

Alynn

Reply to
alynnleaf

They sure could all be related. The first step is to have your engine and transmission computers scanned for codes. Since your check engine lamp is coming on, you should have trouble codes in at least the engine control module. To do this, you'll either need to stop into an AutoZone or similar place that'll read your codes for free, or take it to a diagnostic shop to make a diagnosis. Once you get the trouble codes, report back and we'll help you decipher what's wrong.

Reply to
hyundaitech
5 minutes or so. > Once I drop my speed down or accelerate above those speeds, the engine > light goes off. The car continues to drive normally with no unusual > noises or other indications that anything is wrong. Any idea what it > could be? > > As a side note, the car just recently started turning itself off when I > leave it in idle. It made a kind of sputtering noise, then the engine > shut off. It turned back on just fine, but it's never done that before. > Could these things be related? > > Thanks for all your help! >

Hi yes, I agree. Getting the codes is the first thing. If you find that the codes really are vague I'd sugget not to start getting things replaced as the actual computer could be bad and reporting ambiguous stuff. Find out the cost of a replacement used engine computer and then you might find one under 100 bucks or so and it be less expensive than troubleshooting further

Reply to
rollytan