2002 Santa Fe Spedo/Odometer wrong

The speedometer in my Sante Fe is off by about 5 MPH, at any speed above 15 MPH. If it says 40, the car is going 35. If it says 80, the car is going
74-75. I know this by using a GPS, and even the 'your speed' signs the police put up reflect this. And this isn't a big deal.
But, I've now noticed the odometer is equally off as well. For every 2 miles the car travels, the odometer clocks 2.1 miles or so. I've checked this against a GPS and mile-marker signs for the last year. This to me is more of a big deal. The car is showing more miles than it actually has. (At 58,000 miles, I estimate that's inflated about 2,900 miles.)
It's had the same 220-70/R16 wheels and tires on it since I bought it.
My question is, is the computer adjustable/responsible for the wheel and tire size, possibly set for a 17-18" wheel, thus reading a faster speed?
And what's my recourse with Hyundai now? I feel 3K miles is a pretty significant difference.
Thanks,
Kiran

Get new tires recently?
- Thee Chicago Wolf
The original poster said:

And Wolfie responded:

Read 5 line up from your post.....

I'm not sure what company it was but I recall that one of them was sued for incorrect odometer readings in a class action suit and the result was that the warranty had to be extended. I'm sure a google for odometer error and warranty would show up something. Kiran Otter wrote:

Honda just got busted for this....
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/13/earlyshow/main2562144.shtml?source=search_story
Steve, AZ

According to TSB 05-90-014, the speedometer should never be off more than 2.5MPH. Take your car to the dealer to have it checked.
There is no way of adjusting the programming in the cluster, so the problem is most likely the speedometer itself or an improper speed sensor gear.

Thanks, HT. Do you know if they'd reset the mileage to reflect the correct number of miles?
Kiran
No, they won't do that. There are severe federal penalties for tampering with an odometer. You might, however, get Hyundai to agree to an appropriate warranty extension. Even that will probably require significant effort on your part and a face-to-face meeting with the Hyundai representative.
'The speedometer in my Sante Fe is off by about 5 MPH, at any speed above 15 MPH. If it says 40, the car is going 35. If it says 80, the car is going 74-75. I know this by using a GPS, and even the 'your speed' signs the police put up reflect this. And this isn't a big deal.......It's had the same 220-70/R16 wheels and tires on it since I bought it.'
REPLY: On my 2002 SantaFe , I put 245x70R16's all around and according to the Police Depts. stationary radar Robot that gives a digital readout for motorists on its display , my speedometer is exact.
Was 245/70R16 the original tire size? If not, what was the original tire size?
'Was 245/70R16 the original tire size? If not, what was the original tire size?'
REPLY: The original tire size was 225. I went up to 245 , but according to the Police Robots digital reading, my speed is exact to it.
Okay, let's do some math.
Overall diameter in inches on 225/70R16: [(225)(1.4)/25.4]+16 = 28.4
Overall diameter in inches on 245/70R16: [(245)(1.4)/25.4]+16 = 29.5
So, the percentage change from the 225s is 1.1/28.4 = 3.9%. This is also the speedometer error percentage. This is within Hyundai's allowable error spec. for speeds up to 38MPH. Above that, it exceeds the error specs.
But of course, this then begs the question as to how fast you were driving when you did the test. Did you run one pass or several passes at differing speeds? This will help us know whether we're extrapolating data from one point or whether there were several points from which we can gather a good idea as to how representative your test was.