2002 Sonata GLS: One radiator fan blows, the other doesn't (retry)

Not sure why I can't see my message. trying again.
Hey guys,
So today my check engine light went on oddly enough after having been fixed by the dealership (after my brake and gas line debacle). I left
the engine running and parked and noticed one of my radiator fans was blowing and the other wasn't. A fuse perhaps? Blown fan motor throwing a CEL? Anyone have any knowledge about this one? I'm going to go to Autozone and get a free scan later and see what code is stored.
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
The second fan typically only comes on when temperatures are excessive or the A/C is on. Likely unrelated to your check engine light. Need to get the code.
On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:36:48 AM UTC-4, Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:

Ok, that makes sense I guess. I am throwing a P0456 code though. This just came up the other day. The mechanics fixed a lot of EVAP stuff when I went in for my fuel & brake line fix last month and I wasn't having any CEL/MIL lights since. P0456 is a new code for me.
I have checked that gas cap is snug and it is. Gas cap is about 1 year old and OEM. I had noticed a host clamp was missing just past the O2 sensor after the air intake and I put a hose clamp there so it's now snug and tight (it was loose, though it was a vacuum leak). Have you come across P0456 much?

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

I just Goggled the code. Seems to be very common with many brands of car. Some have reported leaks at the place the hose meets the charcoal canister also. Maybe you got it with the hose clam.
There are three codes that are intended to indicate an evaporative system leak:
P0455 indicates a large leak. On your car, this would basically mean that the engine cannot pull a vacuum on the fuel tank via actuation of the purge control valve. Could be caused by any large leak or anything blocking the vacuum between the purge valve and the tank.
P0442 indicates a small leak. Basically, this means that the system will not hold a vacuum when both the vent and purge valves are commanded closed.
P0456 indicates a very small leak. It's similar to the P0442, but the system is close to being able to hold a vacuum. If this test sometimes passes and sometimes fails, suspect a faulty vent valve-- it's the only moving component that could cause this code.
On Friday, October 5, 2012 11:54:45 AM UTC-4, Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:

A vent valve? Any place I'd likely be able to get at and look? My emission test is coming up in a month and after all the work I had done to fix all the EVAP leaks, this is a bit of a kick in the pants. Since the dealership did the work I am just going to have them look at it as part of the warranty and hopefully they can figure it out. Thanks for the info, very useful stuff. And it never gets said enough HT, thanks for visiting this group and offering the free advice and help. My Hyundai has been good to me for these past 11 years and because of that and guys like you willing to be helpful, I do plan on getting another Hyundai.

engine cannot pull a vacuum on the fuel tank via actuation of the purge control valve. Could be caused by any large leak or anything blocking the vacuum between the purge valve and the tank.

is close to being able to hold a vacuum. If this test sometimes passes and sometimes fails, suspect a faulty vent valve-- it's the only moving component that could cause this code.

the A/C is on. Likely unrelated to your check engine light. Need to get the code.

The vent valve is under the left rear of the car with the charcoal canister. You'd need to lower the canister housing to look at it, and you probably won't be able to see anything anyway. If you're already planning on taking it to the dealer, I'd say just let them deal with it.