2002 SONATA PAINT

I hope someone could help me with this...we have a 2002 Sonata & the paint around the outside door handles is starting to chip away (you can see the
tan plastic),,,My question is , since the car is still under warranty (only has 45k), would this be covered by the warranty,,also the wipers are starting to rust,,any reply would helpful..Thanks,,JOHN
The paint warranty (3 years/36k miles) on your car has expired, so the door handles and blades won't be covered. If you're a good customer at a dealer, they may try to get away with actually replacing the door handles and wiper arms (if that's the part that's rusted). But don't expect them to do that. If the wiper blades themselves are rusted, that won't be covered because they're considered wearable components and only covered for 1 year/12k miles.
John,
Unfortunately, paint wearing off of the door handles seems a common problem. It was starting to happen to my 2002 Sonata. The worst example I saw was a Kia Optima that had lost most of the paint on the door handles. When I saw that Optima and noticed a couple of bad places on my car, I immediately put a couple of additional coats of carnuba wax on the handles. This seems to have helped prevent the problem from growing worse.
If you have the painted alloy wheels, you may also want to put a good coat of wax on them. This is another area where the paint wears off. I also wax the headlights to protect them from scratches and hazing. I learned the hard way on my 1996 Avenger to never use Windex or similar products on modern headlights.
GeoUSA, moderator, www.HyundaiExchange.com

Same happened to me , and I had changed in guarantee the alluy wheels, but after 18 moths the problem has come again: I plan to make them paint soon. About door handles, I periodically paint thenm in the parts damaged with a permanent marker in silver colour as my Sonata is silver painted.
--
Zotto Sonica V6 MY2002 driver
http://www.g2kweb.it/public/download/zottotach.AVI

Zotto Sonica V6 MY2002 driver
http://www.g2kweb.it/public/download/zottotach.AVI
Yes, they look like plastic covered with a cheap metalized "look" paint (why not for instance just have unpainted black plastic?). A design feature I was surprised thay Hyundai design folks missed.
Zotto wrote:

commercial machines, only by hand so maybe that's a difference.
Perhaps this issue is what year the model, ours is '06 and I went to Zotto's site and his handles look like real metal, or are a more reflective metal paint than the grainy silver painted handles in the '06. (they do scratch more readily as the shift gate console is also painted in the same fashion and has already shown scratches with just sunglass case usage)