2003 Elantra GLS - ticking sound at idle speed

I have an Elantra 2003 GLS with manual 5 speed. It now has about 91k miles on it and there's a ticking sound coming from the engine which is noticeable at idle speed. At higher RPMs the ticking goes away, but maybe it's just drowned out. If it were an old V8 I'd say "valve lifters", but I don't know if that's relevant here. Any thoughts about what the cause and cure are? I'm in California and will be getting the timing belt done when I get a little closer to 100k.

Reply to
Victek

Without hearing the noise, anything I suggest here is obviously speculation.

Your engine is equipeed with solid lifters which rarely wear enough to require adjustment, even at 100k miles. The only time I've seen this engine need a valve adjustment was after someone had replaced the cylinder head and simply tossed the old shims into the new head.

More likely is that the chain connecting the two camshafts is worn and its flapping is striking the guide, making the noise you hear. I've most frequently seen this on engines which had deposits or sludge indicating the oil wasn't changed as frequently as it should have been. There have, however, been a few cases where the engine looked clean inside.

Also note that this engine has a tendency to make a rattling/light knocking noise when cold. This will typically go away as the engine warms up.

Reply to
hyundaitech

. Thanks for the reply. If the camshaft chain needs replacing would there be any advantage/cost saving to doing it the same time as the timing chain?

Reply to
Victek

Oops - meant to say "timing belt" not timing chain.

Reply to
Victek

Not enough to make it worth purposely scheduling the two repairs together. At most, I'd say it'd subtract about 0.5 hours labor.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Helpful as always - thanks!

Reply to