2003 Elantra GT Air Filter

Do I need to go to the dealer to get one? About how much is this at the dealer? Thank you.

Reply to
jtees4

Is there a number in the manual? Any auto parts store can cross reference to another brand.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I did some internet research today, it seems that Fram does have one. I have the number CA9392...I will check a few stores tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
jtees4

Reply to
Larry

No. Purolator makes one for it (#A25395. I've used a couple of them and they work fine. They're $13.49 at Pep Boys.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Thanks, I picked up a couple of Frams today at Walmart. $11 and change i think.

Reply to
jtees4

I'm not sure about the quality of Fram air filters, but their oil filters are junk and can cause problems with Hyundai engines (there's a TSB about this for the Elantra). The only Fram product that I use on my car is their oil drain valve.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

What do you mean by junk? The filtering ability is "not good" or do they have mechanical problems like internal media clogging, leaking etc..

I've been using various oil filters for years and I have not noticed a difference in any brand over another and have not noticed any filtering problems, maybe I would not not notice them? Only two of my cars actually have an oil pressure gauge though. Almost all filters I've used look indentical in construction including various lettered codes stamped on them. I've noticed some of them have metal shaving around the threads left over from a poor tap job but even that was not limited to a specific brand. If I see that on one, I put it down and grab a different one.

In my Elantra for oil filters, I've either used the SuperTech from WalMart or a Purolator from various parts stores. I do not use the book suggested SuperTech though, there is a model that is slightly larger and about the physical size of the suggested Purolator model. I do not have the part number handy. Depending on where I am when I decide to by a filters and is the type I buy. All of my cars (5 of them) can take

10w-30 so I always have a quite a few of the 5 quart containers of that around ;)

To stay on topic with the thread, you can get a K&N air filter for your Elantra if you feel comfortable with their dirt blocking ability, you won't see any performance increase like some people like to claim on an Elantra but it will save you on buying more filters if you do not mind cleaning and oiling them as required.

Reply to
nolife

They have less media, which reduces their life. They're poorly constructed, leading to failures of the valves and other components. They bypass valve opens way below Hyundai's specifications. As I said, they're junk.

Go to bobistheoilguy.com and read the tests of filters. There is a much wider variation in construction and filter media than you might think.

Purolator filters are fine, but I'm not sure who's making Supertech filters, so I don't use them (I do use Supertech synthetic oil). Pep Boys house-brand filters are made by Purolator. Regarding filter size, Purolator's #14459 is the stock size. They used to make the #24458 that was ~40% longer, but they discontinued it.

Unless you live in a hot area, you're probably better off with 5W-30.

I wouldn't put one in my car if they gave it to me.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom