2003 Elantra power window button - broken spring

I appear to have a broken spring in the driver side window switch cluster - specifically the button that lowers/raises the driver side front window does not automatically return to the neutral position after depressing it to lower the window. Fortunately it will stay in the neutral position if I pull up on it, but what does it take to fix this? Can the unit be removed from the door panel and disassembled so just the spring can be replaced? TIA :-)

Reply to
Victek

If you take the switch apart and look inside, you'll see that there's a small plastic tab that's broken. You'll never successfully repair this without replacing the switch assembly.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I was afraid of that :-) Thanks for the information. Is it likely I can R&R the part or does it require special skills/tools and better left to a shop?

Reply to
Victek

I'm usually able to pop it out with a pocket screwdriver. Wait to remove u ntil you have the new one so you can see where the clips are. There are tw o main retaining clips, on in the front and one in the rear. You'll want t o release the rear one.

To release the clip, slip the screwdriver (small round shank is preferable) under the rear edge of the switch. Then finesse it around so that you've slipped it down inside the door panel under the rear edge of the switch, co ntinuing to finesse intil you push on the clip and release it.

Reply to
hyundaitech