2003 Santa Fe jerking

Anyone had problems with Santa Fe jerking while traveling between 65-75 mph? Within the last few months, while on the interstate, my car's had a jerking feeling. It's feels like being hit from behind. Used to be a very
rare occurence, but tonight it happened twice within a one hour drive.
I don't see anything in the technical service bulletins about this. There's a bulletin to reprogram the ECM for intermittent hesitation while driving, but what you describe doesn't sound like what would typically be called hesitation. It's probably best to have someone drive it to determine what's going on-- at least to figure out whether it's engine, trans, or transfer case related.
I seem to recall from one of my classes about two years ago, an issue about "very infrequent engine cutout." It was described as a momentary jerk and would not happen again for a while. I don't recall which car or which engine the issue was with, however. If I have time over the next couple days, I'll dig through my notes to see if I find anything.
I had the hesitation with my Santa Fe the TSB describes. That was always from a stop. Reprogramming it fixed it.
Jon

Thank you for all of your help & suggestions. I will take my car to the shop & explain what I'm experiencing. Hopefully, with the info you've all provided & the help of the tech at the shop, something can be done.
Keep us posted in case others (or me) have same problem.

I would really appreciate anything you can find for me. Thanks in advance for trying. The only problem with taking it in to have a tech look at is that the jerking doesn't happen every time and the odds of the tech actually seeing it happen are probably slim to none. Thanks again.
I sent you an email of a troubleshooting chart from Hyundai Tech site. Not much help, but has some suggestions for "surging".
I will keep looking for you. Gordo

Also found .. **************** INSTALLATION OF SPARK PLUG CABLE (V6 2.7 Liter Engine)
Improper arrangement of spark plug cables will induce voltage between the cables, causing misfiring and surging at acceleration in high-speed operations.
Therefore, be careful to arrange the spark plug cables properly as shown in the illustration. **************************

Technical Service Bulletin number 04-36-017
Some 2003-2004 SANTA FE(SM) 2.7L vehicles may experience intermittent hesitation
while driving.
This bulletin provides a procedure for updating the ECM (Engine Control Module)
software with new logic to improve the above condition by using the Hi-Scan Pro.
VEHICLES AFFECTED:
. Model : 2003-2004 SANTA FE (SM) 2.7L vehicles
. Affected vehicle production date range :
. Produced through August 13, 2004
. Affected VIN range :
. Produced through KM8SC73D15U855406
. Area : North America
don't know if you have a surge, or hesitation, but this reprogramming, hopefully under warranty my be your fix.
Gordo

The Hyundai TSB 04-36-017 was the one I was referring to above. Although the TSB doesn't indicate when the hesitation occurs, Zeppo indicates his was only when starting from a stop, and that the reprogram fixed it. I don't think this reprogram will fix the car in question. I was doubtful when I posted originally, but after Zeppo's response, I think chances are close to zero.
Here's what I have from my notes:
2003 Santa Fe 2.7 -- a bump while cruising, feels like a pothole, call technical assistance for information.
If you've got a 2003, it sounds like the VIEC I referred to in my original post. I'd take it to the dealer and explain to them in detail what you're feeling and how frequently and under what conditions it occurs. You may use the term VIEC or "Very Infrequent Engine Cutout" and tell them you expect they'll have to call technical assistance, but be sure to let them know that you had received that info from a Hyundai technician after you stated what was happening with the vehicle. Ultimately they'll want to make the determination from your description whether you're actually experiencing this VIEC condition, or tell technical assistance what you're reporting so they can make that decision. If you just go in and tell them you're experiencing this VIEC thingy, they'll suspect that you got wind of some repair and just wanted to have it done to your car as a preventive measure. That's why it's important to tell them in detail what you're experiencing.
Well, I called my local hyundai service tech & he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. He said he's heard of that exact thing happening before. I have an appointment on the 26th, so I'll let you know how it goes. He did mention something about resetting the computer. Thanks again!