2004 2.4L Sonata Oil Consumption

I have a 2004 Sonata with 89,000 miles on it and the oil has been changed religiously at 5,000 mile intervals. Suddenly about 10,000 miles ago it began needing a quart of oil added every 1,000 miles. The PCV valve has been replaced and the valve cover gasket which showed a little seepage. Neither has had any influence on the oil consumption. Does this sound like a valid warranty claim under the 10 year, 100,000 mile drive train warranty. I am the original owner.

Reply to
haynaguy

There are other places where an oil leak could occur, drainplug,sending sensor. Any oil stains where the car is parked?

Reply to
Irwell

Potentially. If there are any oil leaks present, they will need to be addr essed first. Unless caused by the oil filter or drain plug gasket or somet hing similarly considered maintenance, these repairs typically fall under t he 10/100 warranty.

Once there are no leaks present, the dealer will need to demonstrate that t he engine uses in excess of 1 quart in 1000 miles. This is typically done by the dealer changing the oil and verifying it's at the full mark. Then, every time you reach the 1 quart low mark, you return to the dealer for the m to recheck and top off the oil. This should occur for three iterations, with the dealer recording the amount of oil added and the mileage each time . Upon completion, the total miles driven are divided by the amount of oil added to achieve the number of miles per quart.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Could be, but I'm not sure what the specs are these days. Years ago, a quart every 1000 miles was considered normal. Hyundai probably has some specs on what they consider "normal". I"d certainly check for leaks though. If you have to, put a piece of cardboard under the engine when parked overnight. Sniff for odors of burning oil dripping on a manifold.

Check these out.

I called the local Ford dealership close to where I live this afternoon and they said that Ford considers 1 quart of oil usage per 1,000 miles "normal' and within "specifications". The service writer I spoke to said that he personally feels that this is high, but that that is what Ford "officially" says for warranty purposes. Does this sound about right, or is the Ford dealer feeding me a line?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It sounds about right. I also agree it's excessive, but this is about the norm for manufacturer official policy.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Yeah, that's the crazy official policy. I went through these contortions with my wife's Subaru. First the car uses no more than 1/4 quart over

5000 miles, next it uses 20 times more (1 quart over 1000) and it is considered "normal".

OP should get with the program right now because he only has

11,000 miles left before the powertrain warantee expires.

DK

Reply to
DK