2004 Elantra, how to retract rear brake piston?

Greetings,

my 2004 Elantra (gt, no ABS) needs new brake pads at 38k miles. No problems here.

I have the pads, grease, and a full tool chest, start on the change (rear passenger side first) and... no matter how hard I try, I am unable to push the piston back into the housing enough to make space for the disk.

1) parking brake is not engaged. Not at all. 2) I did it before, I am definitely trying hard enough

Help!

-- Marcin

Reply to
Marcina

The piston needs to be turned inward (clockwise) using a peg spanner in the slots in the piston face.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Ahhh, makes sense.

Thank you.

Reply to
Marcina

I had to loosen my park brake adjuster to get it to retract also. To get to it just remove a few screws out of the back side of the centre armrest lift up jam flashlight in to hold it and back the nut off.

Reply to
AVN