2004 Santa fe

I bought my daughter a 04 santa fe 2.7 engine with 21k to go to college. 2 weeks ago it did not start and the battery was dead. I bought a new battery
and it still won't start. It cranks fine with a charged battery. I took it to the dealer and by the time he looked at it the battery was dead again. The dealer has been working on it for a week now and still can't give me an anwser as to what is wrong or how long this will take. I know it has a short which is easy to isolate at the fuse box and since all the gauges, lights and sterio work that it's got to be and inition module thing. So why is it so hard to narrow down the short? Is anyone else having the problem?
randy b via CarKB.com wrote:

Typically, when I've had a battery that would discharge while running or just sitting, it was an alternator problem.
Find self new dealer quickly. Seamus J. Wilson

2
battery
it to

The
short
lights and

so
The dealer needs to find the individual component causing the issue. There are many circuits in the vehicle, nearly all of which can be draining the battery. Often, there's a computer related issue, which complicates matters because a draw on one circuit can be caused by a problem on another. There may also be significant disassembly involved to locate the problem.