2004 Santa Fe Smoke/Burning Smell

When sitting in a parking lot waiting for my wife for approx 5 mins, I had the car engine off, but the vent/AC was in the on position. I then started the car after 5 mins to get the A/C cold again. At that
point I noticed a burning electrical type smell and small amount of smoke coming from the area near the alternator after I popped the hood. I immediately shut things down until the smoke stopped and quickly drove home. Last week the check engine light went on Wednesday and I setup a service appt for Friday, but no symptoms of a problem were occurring. Thursday the check engine light went off and I cancelled the appointment.
I plan to drop the car off for service tomorrow AM for diagnosis, but am curious what could cause those symptoms. It is a 2004 with the 3.5 Liter V6 engine, automatic and 46,000 miles. Thanks ahead of time for any info.
I'm guessing it was either the alternator (which could also cause a check engine lamp) or the a/c compressor, which is underneath the alternator.