2004 Sonata Chech Engine Light Question

No I don't have a scanner and I left the gas cap too loose at the gas station.

It took about a mile, but the check engine light went on. I was right near home, so I just went about a mile so I could investigate.

Sure enough, the first thing I checked was the gas cap. (pretty easy to do since I left the fueling door open). I screwed the cap back on. (until it made the ratchet sound) The check engine light stayed on.

I then unscrewed the gas cap and screwed it back in with the car off. Check engine light was still on.

I heard there is a cycle when the car keeps showing the check engine light, but you can clear it without a scanner by disconnecting the battery? I've also heard there are drawbacks to this?

Any input would be appreciated.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

I'm not sure about Hyundai, but on my GM car it took about a dozen drive cycles to reset the light.

Disconnecting the battery works, but you often lose things like radio security, radio pre-sets, auto window stops and the like. Just be patient and it will go away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski