2004 Sonata Needs New Clutch

Page 2 of 2
Matt wrote: "What do you mean by this? Do you mean that the spring center is in the flywheel rather than the clutch disk? By this I mean the springs that are
oriented circumferentially and allow the disk to rotate slightly in relation to the splines so as to absorb rotational shocks."
Pretty much. I've never actually tried to take one of these flywheels apart to see what the dampers look like, so I'm not sure that the mechanism looks like it does on the clutch disc. In this system, the clutch disc is solid-- the fibers are attached to the disc, which is part now essentially part of the hub, rather than being attached via the dampers (the circumferential spring assemblies). The flywheel has two parts, joined by a damper, and it's possible to turn the transmission side of the flywheel about 20 degrees or so with respect to the engine side.
Since I'm not that great at describing things, I did some googling on "dual mass flywheel," and here's one of the better links I've found. It's the LuK website.
http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/products/clutch_systems_new/zms_new/zms_new.jsp
I do wish, however, everyone would stop using the verb "dampen" and the noun "dampener" to indicate the verb "damp" and the noun "damper." Am I alone in this?
hyundaitech wrote:

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/products/clutch_systems_new/zms_new/zms_new.jsp
Amen, brother! Dampener Verboten!
Good job finding the Luk link. Bookmarked (Anyone visiting the site, click on "Detail" for the inside story.)
No freakin' wonder the flywheel costs over a grand!!
Speedy Jim http://www.nls.net/mp/volks /
hyundaitech wrote:

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/products/clutch_systems_new/zms_new/zms_new.jsp
No, but I've long given up trying to correct the unwashed masses that can't seem to understand the difference.
Matt
hyundaitech wrote:

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/products/clutch_systems_new/zms_new/zms_new.jsp
No, you're not.
hyundaitech wrote:

Interesting. I wonder why Hyundai made this choice? Since these dampers are likely to deteriorate with use, it seems much more prudent to attach them to the primary wear component rather than a more permanent component.
Matt

And if you win, you may not be able to tell anyone about it :)