2004 Sonata question

I have the V-6 Sonata, 2004, with 30,000 miles. The dealer said my transmission fluid was dirty last time I was in for an oil change. My questions are this;

  1. With the 100,000 mile warranty, can I have my local mechanic flush and fill the tranny fluid without voiding the warranty?

  1. My Sonata needs new tires already. Even though I've had them rotated regularly. Anybody have a recommendation on a good brand/type of tires to put on there? My local mechanic can pretty much get me any tires I want. I want to get some that will last 40 or 50 thousand miles.

  2. I am going to have the anti-freeze flushed at the same time as the tranny fluid. Any special hints about doing this?

Thanks to any and all help.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews
  1. Make sure your mechanic uses only SP-III fluid. Other than that, your mechanic needs only to not mess up the job.

  1. Michelin tends to be good for treadwear (with the exception of the Energy MXV4+ you probably have on your car now).
    has a significant section with customer reviews.

  2. Coolant service is straightforward.
Reply to
hyundaitech

Thank You. Off hand, do you know which model Michelin I should ask for?

Also, the coolant needs to be a certain type. One for an aluminum block. I read which coolant and Tranny fluid to use so I should be good. My mechanic is excellent. I've been going to him for 20 years, he gives me cheaper prices than the average customer because he knows he can count on me to come back. He also lets me into the garage to watch the work, something that's unheard of in this day and age.

Again, thank you. It really is so nice of you to help people out, even with the simplest questions.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

Additional;

You hit it right on the head. The stock tires ARE "MXV4 Plus" but they don't say "Energy" anywhere on the tire.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

I'm not much of an expert on tires. You'd probably do better speaking to someone at the tire store for specific recommnedations.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I'm curious If your mechanic is so good and cheap, why do you go to the dealer? I've have that good mechanic take a look at the fluid to see if it really is dirty. Most are good for 50k or more with no problems. What is the interval suggested by Hyundai? Some shops try to push extra services you don't really need.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think your dealer is lying and trying to make extra money from a sucker. The manual says 100,000 for transmission oil change. If your oil is dirty at 30,000 miles, the transmission has problems and should be replaced under warranty. Call Hyundai America and report this crooked dealer.

Reply to
southluke

Yes, I always go to the dealer for oil changes.

My book says inspect the tranny fluid every 30,000 miles and to change every 60,000 miles.

And when I went to the dealer and they told me my pads and rotors were shot I refused their outrageous price. It was like $1300 for the brakes, tranny fluid, oil and coolant. I ended up getting the brakes done, with parts from the dealer, for under $500. My mechanic pointed out to me, when the car was on the rack, I needed new tires. He said he could get the stock ones for me if I wanted. I said no way, the car only has 30k on it and I had them rotated frequently.

As for my mechanic? He's a professional and keeps detailed records for all the cars he works on. And I'm going to keep the receipts for all the maintenance he does. He's less than a mile away, compared to the Hyundia dealer, about 15 miles away. But I will NOT take a chance on my warranty.

I only started taking this new car (2004, 30,000 miles) to my local mechanic since it needed more than an oil changes. It hasn't been in for warranty work and the only maintenance I've needed so far is oil changes and wiper blades. (other than the brakes I mentioned)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

I have over 60k on the Bridgestone Turanza LS tires. IMHO...well worth every penny I paid.

Perform well in all conditions, good handling, pretty quiet, and 'no hydroplaning'

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

If he (and you) are keeping records of the maintenance, there is no chance taken. Most of the time, dealers are more expensive and some try to sell work that in not needed. Some independent shops do as well, of curse so when you find a trustworthy shop, stick with them.

Dealers are usually better for some specific to brand problems because they see them all the time and have training more on that brand. Routine work, as you have found, can be d one more economically elsewhere in most cases.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My mechanic recommends Good Year Assurance Triple Tread tires. these are an 80,000 mile tire. The complete package, including hazard care, is $525.00. Seems like a lot but I want good tires and I read good reviews on these tires. How much were your Bridgestone tires?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

$525 is not a bad price for the Goodyear TriplTred's. Sam's Club price is $503.12 plus tax. Includes road hazard, balance, etc. I think they are worth the money.

Reply to
southluke

Sorry, have them for over 4 years already. Don't remember what they cost.

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

Just got home. My mechanic installed all 4 tires, checked the alignment, balanced the tires, flushed the coolant and tranny fluid all for $675.00. Much cheaper than a dealer. The tires come with the road hazard and free rotation. Plus, once a year, I get free balancing.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

Difference in dealers here I believe. My Hyundai shop recommends a tranny flush every 30k miles. Just had one done on the wife's Nissan/Mercury mini-van, $120 parts/labor/tax. My 06 Sonata LX will get the same at 30k...

Steve

Reply to
Steve R.

Why? Hyundai does not recommend the service so why should you believe the dealer whose main interest is making a profit? Check what the manual says, the Hyundai engineers know more than the service writer/salesman at the dealership.

It's your money . . . . .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin,

To dispute your point, I just checked my manual and due to "severe conditionons", the manual recommends relacing the fluid every 30k miles. Details below:

Maintenance Item Operation Interval Driving Condition AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID Replace EVERY 30,000 MILES (48,000 KM) A, C, E, F, G, H, I

SEVERE DRIVING CONDITIONS-

A - Repeatedly driving short distance of less than 5miles (8km) in normal

temperature or less than 10miles (16km) in freezing temperature

B - Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances

C - Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt- spread roads

D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather

E - Driving in sandy areas

F - Driving in heavy traffic area over 90°F (32°C)

G - Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road

H - Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack

I - Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use or vehicle towing

J - Driving over 100 MPH (170 Km/h)

K - Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions

I happen to fall into the C, E, and F categories. Huyndai engineers wrote this thing. Cheap insurance in exchange for a new transmission post-warranty. In addition, all of my vehicle maintenance are deductions...

My dealer isn't out to get me, they saved me $600 by bringing in a paintless dent removal guy to fix some jerk's failed attempt to control his door in the wind. Cost- $0.

My $25 oil change comes with a free wash and includes Castrol GTX 10-30W. If it's going to be over an hour, I get a loaner to take care of errands while waiting. Some dealers actually care! What brand of oil are you getting? I bet it's not Castrol. May the "P" stuff?

Steve

Reply to
Steve R.

As I said, check the manual and you did. Very few of us fit into those categories. For most of us, it merely suggests checking the fluid.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I don't fall into the average category as most in the group. Man, I don't even fall into that category in real life! I hate parting with my duckets as most though and I scrutinize my dealer as well as any interaction with a store/shop/stealership/parts store etc. It's become a sad world...

Steve

Reply to
Steve R.

Kumho tires are great for the price, I think as good as michelin

Reply to
mark