2005 Elantra MPG?

While my Santa Fe was in for service, I had a loaner car. It was an Elantra with 40 miles on the clock! (brand new!) Mostly highway mileage, I got a smidge over 40 MPG Is that typical? It may make me re-think my soon to happen Sonata purchase. I am 6'4", and the Sonata may be roomier, but I get reimbursed a cheap $.37/mile, and I have to make the miles pay for me. Wonder what kind of mpg a 4 cyl Camry might get??? The Elantra does have a bit of a light car feel to it. Thanks all!

Reply to
Dave Edwards

"Dave Edwards" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Yes, but because of too few miles on it.. mileage gets better after 5000 miles for Elantra.

Reply to
Zotto

As of 3000 miles I'm getting 35mpg on long highway runs (NYC->Richmond ,VA) Average speed 75 mph Local NYC city is more like 21 mpg.

2005 Elantra GT Auto Red.

Reply to
Andrew Cripps

i dont think he was complaining bout the milage, im pretty sure elantras on the lots arent rated for even close to 40 mpg..

Reply to
Jody

I average in the low 30's mpg with my '05 GT Auto - highway vs. city seems to make a significant difference in this car. On a recent 800 mile trip I got about 35, around town I get about 28-30. I've found the "trip computer" MPG calculator in the vehicle to be overly optimistic - usually telling me I'm getting about 38 mpg when it's acutally much lower - anyone else notice this? I only have about 2k on the car and, as mentioned here, expect the mileage to improve some when the engine gets some more miles on it.

Reply to
dkortz

How did you determine the mileage? How far did you drive? You cannot rely on the trip computer, especially on distances of less than a full tank. The same is true of calculated mileage if you don't fill up at the same pump before and after driving. The shorter the distance, the greater the effect of any differences in actual quantity of gas added during filling.

Realistically, a manual transmission Elantra will get mid 30's on the highway. An automatic will get low 30's.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Filled it 'till the pump clicked, reset the trip odometer, drove a couple hundred highway miles, came back to the same station and filled it again 'till the pump clicked. Then I divided the mileage on the odometer by the number of gallons I just put in it. I was focusing on how much mpg I could get, so held it around 63 mph.

Reply to
Dave Edwards

My '01 Camry 4cyl. gets 28 mixed use. It is a little lighter than the new style Camrys. But I would think the Elantra would get higher miles based on how small and light it appears.

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Actually I drive ALL city miles now that I think of it. When I did take a trip it was in the 30's.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Even still, the variation in fuel between 35 and 40 mpg is only .7 gallons (5 gallons vs. 5.7 for 200 miles). If it wasn't the exact same pump and you didn't top off the tank (I know you're not supposed to), you could easily get that much variation.

I typically drive 65 on the highway and on a straight highway trip I'll see 35-36 mpg, but 40 seems high, especially on a brand new car. My gas mileage on the first couple of tanks was in the upper 20's, but once the car broke in, it improved markedly. Considering that the '05 Elantra is essentially identical to the '04, I would expect that you'd average similar mileage.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom