2005 Elantra Question

I was rear ended recently and the only damage on my Elantra is that there are "impressions" in the rear bumper from the other car's license plate screws. My question is, can these be fixed or do I need to purchase a new bumper?
I am asking because it was actually a hit-and-run and I was contacted by the state's attorney's office about the case.
Leslie
Leslie Williams wrote:

This is a question for a body shop, not a newsgroup. They should be able to give you the reasonable options pretty quickly and provide estimates that you will need anyway.
Matt

There is material behind the bumper that is crushed when hit from behind. This is part of the safety system to prevent more extensive damage. After it is crushed the proper approach is for a body shop to replace it. That does not come cheap.
IOW, an examination by a body shop can determine if unseen damage did or did not occur.
Joe
I don't have an opinion here, just a question - I'm curious where the inquiry of the state's attorney fits into your question about the repair.
<DIV>I was rear ended recently and the only damage on my Elantra is that there are "impressions" in the rear bumper from the other car's license plate screws. My question is, can these be fixed or do I need to purchase a new bumper? </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I am asking because it was actually a hit-and-run&nbsp;and I was contacted by&nbsp;the state's attorney's office about the case.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Leslie</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Because it was a hit and run case and the individual was arrested - driving without a license, evading responsibility, and following too closely. The state's attorney reached out to me in case I was hurt or missed work etc.
I ended up going to a body shop and getting an estimate for getting it fixed.
Leslie
<DIV>I was rear ended recently and the only damage on my Elantra is that there are "impressions" in the rear bumper from the other car's license plate screws. My question is, can these be fixed or do I need to purchase a new bumper? </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I am asking because it was actually a hit-and-run&nbsp;and I was contacted by&nbsp;the state's attorney's office about the case.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Leslie</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Have the same problem. Just curious as to how much the quote was for the job.
Neville
About $400 USD
Leslie
<BR><BR>&gt; Because it was a hit and run case and the individual was arrested -<BR>&gt; driving without a license, evading responsibility, and following too<BR>&gt; closely. The state's attorney reached out to me in case I was hurt or<BR>&gt; missed work etc. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I ended up going to a body shop and getting an estimate for getting it<BR>&gt; fixed. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Leslie<BR><BR><BR>Have the same problem.&nbsp; Just curious as to how much the quote was for the <BR>job.<BR><BR>Neville</BODY></HTML>
------=

Bumper covers can be repaired very easily. Even tears in the covers can be repaired in perfectly acceptable manners.
What does the state's attorney's office have to do with the question?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Leslie Williams wrote:

Had the exact same thing happen to me last Sept. on our '09 Sonata. 2 little indents from the screws as you say. All parties were insured. Body shop replaced the 'skin' on the bumper w/ OEM. - $800 parts&labor and paint. The paint is Slate Blue and loaded w/ metal flake but they did an excellent job w/ paint matching.
Mark Time wrote:

Sorry I didn't really answer your question about 'fixing' the bumper. Yes, according to the body shop I went to they can and fix these types of dents all of the time. In my case I demanded of the insurance adjuster for the other person's insurance that I receive a new OEM as the car was so new.
Interesting fact: both my insurance co and the other party's were AIG companies...

So you're the guy that started all the trouble.