2005 Elantra Question

I was rear ended recently and the only damage on my Elantra is that there are "impressions" in the rear bumper from the other car's license plate screws. My question is, can these be fixed or do I need to purchase a new bumper?

I am asking because it was actually a hit-and-run and I was contacted by the state's attorney's office about the case.

Leslie

Reply to
Leslie Williams

This is a question for a body shop, not a newsgroup. They should be able to give you the reasonable options pretty quickly and provide estimates that you will need anyway.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

There is material behind the bumper that is crushed when hit from behind. This is part of the safety system to prevent more extensive damage. After it is crushed the proper approach is for a body shop to replace it. That does not come cheap.

IOW, an examination by a body shop can determine if unseen damage did or did not occur.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I am asking because it was actually a hit-and-run and I was contacted by the state's attorney's office about the case.

Leslie

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Bumper covers can be repaired very easily. Even tears in the covers can be repaired in perfectly acceptable manners.

What does the state's attorney's office have to do with the question?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I am asking because it was actually a hit-and-run and I was contacted by the state's attorney's office about the case.

Leslie

Reply to
Leslie Williams

"Leslie Williams" wrote in news:4Q0El.4559$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

Have the same problem. Just curious as to how much the quote was for the job.

Neville

Reply to
Neville MADDEN

About $400 USD

Leslie

Have the same problem. Just curious as to how much the quote was for the job.

Neville

Reply to
Leslie Williams

Had the exact same thing happen to me last Sept. on our '09 Sonata. 2 little indents from the screws as you say. All parties were insured. Body shop replaced the 'skin' on the bumper w/ OEM. - $800 parts&labor and paint. The paint is Slate Blue and loaded w/ metal flake but they did an excellent job w/ paint matching.

Reply to
Mark Time

Sorry I didn't really answer your question about 'fixing' the bumper. Yes, according to the body shop I went to they can and fix these types of dents all of the time. In my case I demanded of the insurance adjuster for the other person's insurance that I receive a new OEM as the car was so new.

Interesting fact: both my insurance co and the other party's were AIG companies...

Reply to
Mark Time

So you're the guy that started all the trouble.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski