2005 hundai check engine light

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! i have a new hundai elantra(2005) the check engine light is on, its got some miles on it, but it doesnt seem like anything is wrong. i havent
taken it in for a diagnostics check yet but i wanted to see if there was anything i could try to do about it before i took it in. anybody got any ideas? please help me out thanx

As I understand it, when the check-engine light comes on you get it looked at immediately. If it is critical and you're continuing to drive around you may be causing more damage. I'm no mechanic and don't have a diagnostic tool, but even if I did -- with a brand new car under warranty I'd be right back to the dealer with it.
If you're lamp is not flashing and the car is operating normally otherwise, you're probably okay to drive until you can get it checked. Of course, you should probably plan to do this in the next couple weeks sometime-- don't make it months.
It's difficult to know what to check without knowing the trouble code.
Didn't you get a manual with your new car?....It tells you very clearly in there what the procedure is....Get to your dealer... Len
--
....Order the "Accordion Evolution" documentary of the Las Vegas
International Accordion Convention from my website:
hollyd wrote:

A very common problem among new Hyundai owners is not tightening the gas cap sufficiently, which will cause a CEL. Make sure you tighten it until it clicks several times. If this is the cause, it will take a bit of driving for the CEL to go out. If you don't think it's the cause, have it checked. The car is under warranty, so there's no point is fooling around with it yourself.
Never know with the engine warning light - it can be many things. Another (relatively, I understand) common cause can be a stuffed oxygen sensor. Any half decent garage would be able to hook up a unit to the cars computer and tell you straight away whats causing the error.