2005 Santa Fe Accelerator

Page 1 of 3
My apologies if this is a re-hash of an existing topic, but I was unble to locate anything via a search of the group.
I just bought a '05 Santa Fe (unbeatable set of clearance rebates),
new, and am so far happy with the vehicle, save for one annoyance. The accelerator pedal offers what I consider to be excessive physical resistance before giving way, making it being very difficult to smoothly accelerate from a dead stop. I'm wondering if:
1) This is common to all new '05 Santa Fes.
2) If so, is it something that will ease after break-in?
Anyone have any experience with this?
I have also got myself a 05 Santy 3.5L v6 but even thought I don't find the pedal 'excessively resistant' but the pickup is. Invariably the car needs reving to 2.5-3K rpm before settling down to 2K rpm to take it from stationary to 30-40mph from stop . I have driven 3000 miles but the 'proverbial' break-in hasnt't happened.
anyone can help?
What engine do you have?

I replied to this 2 days ago from another account, but for some reason the post never showed up here. In any event, I have the 3.5L.
I experienced something a bit different from the way you are describing it with my 2005 3.5L Santa Fe.
The car would either hesitate when the gas was depressed or surge as if I had tromped on it. The dealer reprogrammed the ETCS and this fixed it. I believe these is a TSB out for the problem as well.
Could that be what you are experiencing?
Jon

It's more mechanical in nature (and yes, I realize its an electronic accelerator). The problem is that the pedel is very "stiff" (for lack of a better word) when I first begin to apply pressure to it with my foot. Rather than giving way gradually and smoothly, it "breaks" in that it just suddenly gives way. As a result, acceleration is also sudden and jerky from a dead stop. I can overcome it with effort by stiffening my foot and ankle muscles so that the pressure I apply is even and compensates for the sudden give by the pedel.
WuzYoungOnceToo wrote: :: I experienced something a bit different from the way you are describing :: it with my 2005 3.5L Santa Fe. :: :: The car would either hesitate when the gas was depressed or surge as if I :: had tromped on it. The dealer reprogrammed the ETCS and this fixed it. I :: believe these is a TSB out for the problem as well. : : It's more mechanical in nature (and yes, I realize its an electronic : accelerator). The problem is that the pedel is very "stiff" (for lack : of a better word) when I first begin to apply pressure to it with my : foot. Rather than giving way gradually and smoothly, it "breaks" in : that it just suddenly gives way. As a result, acceleration is also : sudden and jerky from a dead stop. I can overcome it with effort by : stiffening my foot and ankle muscles so that the pressure I apply is : even and compensates for the sudden give by the pedel.
Nah, never had that filling on my 03, cannot remember mpg during break-in, but it was baaaad, after second tank of gas start to improve, now I get 20-22 in the city, 24-26 in the hwy, if I keep the hwy speed under 65 then it goes up to 28, but no fun at all. 03 XL 3.5/5Auto.
You might have something sticking then. I'd ask the dealer to look at it again and make sure they understand you have an issue with the pedal sticking when begin to apply pressure. Could be either the cable or the mechanical dealie to which the sensor attaches.
I must apologize to all respondants to this part of my inquiry, and offer a modification to my observations. This morning I made a point of paying extra attention to the issue and noted that, while there is indeed a little extra mechanical resistance, the sudden acceleration didn't correlate as closely with the "breaking" of the pedel as I previously perceived. There is actually a very tiny delay between that event and the sudden acceleration, leading me to suspect the electronics as the culprit. Does that sound more reasonable? If so, is it something easily addressed by the dealer?
WuzYoungOnceToo wrote:

I have a similar problem with my 06 Sonata. The dealer told me that the electronics can't be adjusted. Mine is clearly an electronics problem, not a sticking problem. The throttle is very touchy and has a slight delay in actuation. Makes driving standard shift a bear.
I should have taken a longer test drive. I assumed my trouble was simply lack of familiarity with the car since I typically drive a full-size Chevy pickup with standard shift. However, now that I've owned the Sonata for two months, I know it isn't a familiarity issue. It is a design issue with the electronic throttle. I've gotten better with it, but I still can't make consistent smooth starts without either over or under reving the engine.
If I'd known this was characteristic of the vehicle, I would not have bought it, or at least wouldn't have bought the standard shift model.
Matt
I believe the accelerator position sensor is adjustable as well as perhaps the throttle position sensor, but if these were far enough out of adjustment to cause an issue, your check engine lamp should be on. I've experienced defective sensors, but never one out of adjustment on this electronic throttle system (XG, Santa Fe).
You could try reinitializing the throttle plate, but I suspect your dealer has already done that. To reinitialize, turn the ignition key to the on position (do not start engine) and immediately turn it back to off. Then leave the key off for at least ten seconds. This often relieves some of the suddenness of the acceleration.
I still think, however, that if the throttle is binding, that's an issue. I don't think it'll significantly affect your fuel mileage, but it's a serious safety concern. Of course, I haven't driven your vehicle, so I don't know how much it sticks.

Since I'm doing primarily highway driving you're probably right. If I were mostly a city driver I'd disagree.
WuzYoungOnceToo wrote:

Have Hyundai or their dealerships recognized this acceleration problem?
WuzYoungOnceToo wrote:

ve by the pedel.
Also, after my first tank of gas, and mostly highway driving, I'm getting 16.7 mpg. The much heavier, 10 year-old 4.0L Ford Explorer my Santa Fe replaced was giving me just over 17 mpg with the same driving. Someone please tell me that this is going to improve after break-in.
WuzYoungOnceToo wrote:

I have a 2004 3.5L 4WD. Im getting 25mpg. All hwy.
Cathy Diamond Bell, AZ
I've got a '05 Santa Fe (funny....I too had a '94 Ford Explorer before!)
oNce the breakin was over, my milage improved to 24 highway...18 city with a 3.5l engine Len
--
....Order the "Accordion Evolution" documentary of the Las Vegas
International Accordion Convention from my website:

What was it like before the break-in?
The 3.5 has an electronic throttle. Depressing the accelerator simply activates a sensor under the hood. The computer controls everything from there. It'll probably take a little time to become familiar with its idosyncracies.
As for the fuel economy, I don't know that it will improve. We've had many complaints about fuel economy on the 3.5 Santa Fes. I've never been able to find anything conclusively wrong with any of them. I replaced an oxygen sensor in one of them because the values looked a little funny, but the customer was still getting poor fuel economy.
I also do not know whether fuel economy will improve.
This I do know - that powertrain combo is used in some other Hyundais and Kias. It is a nice, smooth and responsive powertrain, and seems to be able to handle whatever is given it. It also seems to have given VERY few problems in its years of operation (since about '01 or '02).
But one thing this powertrain has never been is very fuel efficient. I've had this powertrain combo in two different vehicles - one was an '02, and now I have an '04. The '04 is decidedly better than the '02, and I love it in my vehicle. But I will never jump for joy over its fuel economy.
But I will gladly keep running it and running it and running it - as long as I keep the timing belt replaced. It is one of the most impressive powertrains I have ever had.
Tom Wenndt