2005 Santa Fe Accelerator

Page 2 of 3

Since I got superior fuel economy from a substantially heavier 10 year-old vehicle (with 154,000+ miles on the all-original hardware) with a larger, more powerful engine I'm forced to conclude that either there IS something wrong with my Santa Fe or its drivetrain is very poorly designed/constructed.
what do you expect from an SUV, didnt you do ANY research BEFORE you bought it??? maybe you be better suited with a horse and buggy... then you wont have to WHINE about your fuel mileage... I own a 2006 Santa Fe.. LOVE it dont care bout the fuel mileage because I knew what it was BEFORE I purchased it...
Pete...

I know that UseNet is the home of ignorant knee-jerk reactions, but the level of stupidity behind them never ceases to amaze me. Yes, I did research before I bought. What I expected was mileage at least approximating the EPA estimates as well as what the company itself touts. I also read many reports from owners (like those above) describing much better mileage than I'm seeing. There is absolutely nothing in any of my posts to suggest otherwise.
So, in short, trying giving those two brain cells that are desperately clinging to a lonely existence on the inside of that otherwise empty skull of yours some exercise before shooting off your ill-informed mouth next time.
not the one WHINIG about my gas mileage. YOU ARE...;-) did your mommy throw you out of the sandbox too early in life?? ;-)

Learn the difference between an inquiry and "whining", Einstein.

No...but it sounds like your mommy dropped you on your head one time too many.
EPA fuel estimates are notoriously inaccurate and should be used only for purposes of comparison with other vehicles.

Thanks, but I'm well aware of that, and that is precisely how I viewed them. That's also why I didn't rely on them primarily, as indicated by my citations of other sources of information in my previous post.
Well, I checked some of your other posts in this group and found that this really isn't about anything I said. You're just another belligerant, mouthy jag-off in general:
- "go pay another 20K and get yerself a REAL 4WD then and quit yer bitching... asshole..;-) "
making friends all over I see.. hmmmmmmmmmmmm makes ya wonder dont it???

Yes...it makes me wonder how you've managed to survive this long without any demonstrable brain activity. The quote in the post you're replying to was from YOU in another thread. Are you on some sort of medication?
notice how you left the other persons message out..;-)

I notice how you gloss over the fact that your previous response was brain-dead. In any event, the "other person's" message was non-inflammatory, so its content was not relevant with regard to the asinine tone of your response.
There are often trade-offs for better fuel economy -- many times higher compression, which allows more power but exerts more force on the engine components. Hyundai has never been known to be on the upper spectrum of engine compression.
If you rate a design poor just because of fuel economy, then you're being rather narrow-minded as to all the variables of powertrain design.

20 years ago you might have been right, but today there's precious little excuse for sub-17 mpg efficiency - given primarily steady highway driving - in a vehicle as relatively small and light as the Santa Fe. As already indicated, my 10 year-old, much heavier Explorer (with performance that easily equals the SF's) was not only giving me better gas mileage, it did so for over 154,000 trouble-free miles, and with minimal maintenance on my part. What advantages above that should I expect from the SF as my "trade-off" for the reduced mileage? I'm not being confrontational about this (I prefer to leave the mindlessly obnoxious behavior to Pete and his ilk). I'm genuinely looking for answers.
WuzYoungOnceToo wrote:

I'm curious, why didn't you buy another Explorer or an Escape if you wanted something smaller?
Matt

Primarily because of the Santa Fe's superior value and warranty. I no longer needed anything quite as large as the Explorer, and was willing to trade size for improved gasoline milage, lower price, etc. The Escape, though a nice vehicle, simply couldn't compete in terms of bang for the buck.
WuzYoungOnceToo wrote:

Yes, I think that unfortunately, we lose something with the lower price of the Hyundais. I nearly bought a Toyota and sometimes now regret that I didn't. The money I saved on the Sonata will buy a lot of gas to be sure, but it won't fix this crappy electronic throttle and it reminds me every day about itself! Once the Sonata is paid for, I'll likely trade it for something else as it annoys me more every day I drive it.
Matt

Ahhhh - the reason for so many types of cars on the road today. We all have our triggers and when something like the pedal on the 06 Sonata just seems to lay on your hot-button it's almost amazing how big a small issue can become. So far my Sonata (04) hasn't let me down, but I bought it used. It was pretty much what it appeared to be, so for me, all the car really has to do is continue to run like it does for a reasonable time before I have to fix it. I believe I'd be a lot like you with the gas pedal issue though Matt. That would probably bug the hell out of me. Think back to how we used to work to get the hesitation and little hic-cough out of a Rochester carburetor in the 60's and 70's, so that throttle response was instantaneous and full. To sit in a car today which by design somehow intends to defy that fundamental, just wouldn't seem right. It would certainly drive me nuts.
Can't for the live of me understand why such a simple and reliable system as has been in place for every car now for years (cable) would ever be replaced by an electronic equivalent(?). Sometimes improvement is not really.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I was wondering precisely the same thing. Mind you, I'm no automotive engineer so there may well be some advantage to the electronic throttle that I'm not yet aware of...but such an "improvement" strikes me as a violation of the two prime directives of engineering:
1) KISS (keep it simple, stupid).
2) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Although it is only a minor annoyance to me personally, I have to agree with you guys. I do think that it plays some part in the whole traction/skid control system, but I would think that a cable system would be workable somehow too.
Eric