2005 Santa Fe Accelerator

There are often trade-offs for better fuel economy -- many times higher compression, which allows more power but exerts more force on the engine components. Hyundai has never been known to be on the upper spectrum of engine compression.

If you rate a design poor just because of fuel economy, then you're being rather narrow-minded as to all the variables of powertrain design.

Reply to
hyundaitech

EPA fuel estimates are notoriously inaccurate and should be used only for purposes of comparison with other vehicles.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Learn the difference between an inquiry and "whining", Einstein.

No...but it sounds like your mommy dropped you on your head one time too many.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

Thanks, but I'm well aware of that, and that is precisely how I viewed them. That's also why I didn't rely on them primarily, as indicated by my citations of other sources of information in my previous post.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

Yes...it makes me wonder how you've managed to survive this long without any demonstrable brain activity. The quote in the post you're replying to was from YOU in another thread. Are you on some sort of medication?

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

20 years ago you might have been right, but today there's precious little excuse for sub-17 mpg efficiency - given primarily steady highway driving - in a vehicle as relatively small and light as the Santa Fe. As already indicated, my 10 year-old, much heavier Explorer (with performance that easily equals the SF's) was not only giving me better gas mileage, it did so for over 154,000 trouble-free miles, and with minimal maintenance on my part. What advantages above that should I expect from the SF as my "trade-off" for the reduced mileage? I'm not being confrontational about this (I prefer to leave the mindlessly obnoxious behavior to Pete and his ilk). I'm genuinely looking for answers.
Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

I must apologize to all respondants to this part of my inquiry, and offer a modification to my observations. This morning I made a point of paying extra attention to the issue and noted that, while there is indeed a little extra mechanical resistance, the sudden acceleration didn't correlate as closely with the "breaking" of the pedel as I previously perceived. There is actually a very tiny delay between that event and the sudden acceleration, leading me to suspect the electronics as the culprit. Does that sound more reasonable? If so, is it something easily addressed by the dealer?

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

notice how you left the other persons message out..;-)

Reply to
Pete & Cindy

I notice how you gloss over the fact that your previous response was brain-dead. In any event, the "other person's" message was non-inflammatory, so its content was not relevant with regard to the asinine tone of your response.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

I'm curious, why didn't you buy another Explorer or an Escape if you wanted something smaller?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I have a similar problem with my 06 Sonata. The dealer told me that the electronics can't be adjusted. Mine is clearly an electronics problem, not a sticking problem. The throttle is very touchy and has a slight delay in actuation. Makes driving standard shift a bear.

I should have taken a longer test drive. I assumed my trouble was simply lack of familiarity with the car since I typically drive a full-size Chevy pickup with standard shift. However, now that I've owned the Sonata for two months, I know it isn't a familiarity issue. It is a design issue with the electronic throttle. I've gotten better with it, but I still can't make consistent smooth starts without either over or under reving the engine.

If I'd known this was characteristic of the vehicle, I would not have bought it, or at least wouldn't have bought the standard shift model.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Primarily because of the Santa Fe's superior value and warranty. I no longer needed anything quite as large as the Explorer, and was willing to trade size for improved gasoline milage, lower price, etc. The Escape, though a nice vehicle, simply couldn't compete in terms of bang for the buck.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

Yes, I think that unfortunately, we lose something with the lower price of the Hyundais. I nearly bought a Toyota and sometimes now regret that I didn't. The money I saved on the Sonata will buy a lot of gas to be sure, but it won't fix this crappy electronic throttle and it reminds me every day about itself! Once the Sonata is paid for, I'll likely trade it for something else as it annoys me more every day I drive it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Ahhhh - the reason for so many types of cars on the road today. We all have our triggers and when something like the pedal on the 06 Sonata just seems to lay on your hot-button it's almost amazing how big a small issue can become. So far my Sonata (04) hasn't let me down, but I bought it used. It was pretty much what it appeared to be, so for me, all the car really has to do is continue to run like it does for a reasonable time before I have to fix it. I believe I'd be a lot like you with the gas pedal issue though Matt. That would probably bug the hell out of me. Think back to how we used to work to get the hesitation and little hic-cough out of a Rochester carburetor in the 60's and 70's, so that throttle response was instantaneous and full. To sit in a car today which by design somehow intends to defy that fundamental, just wouldn't seem right. It would certainly drive me nuts.

Can't for the live of me understand why such a simple and reliable system as has been in place for every car now for years (cable) would ever be replaced by an electronic equivalent(?). Sometimes improvement is not really.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I was wondering precisely the same thing. Mind you, I'm no automotive engineer so there may well be some advantage to the electronic throttle that I'm not yet aware of...but such an "improvement" strikes me as a violation of the two prime directives of engineering:

1) KISS (keep it simple, stupid). 2) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

"WuzYoungOnceToo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Although it is only a minor annoyance to me personally, I have to agree with you guys. I do think that it plays some part in the whole traction/skid control system, but I would think that a cable system would be workable somehow too.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Presumably, the lower compression results in better durability.

Realistically, this powertrain has been around in the U.S. since 2001 (only since late 2003MY in the Santa Fe) and there have been a few improvements in that time, mostly in the transmission and throttle controls. This makes it difficult for me to make any kind of experiential conclusion in terms of real long-term reliability. In my opinion, there have been very few serious problems, but I've also seen more issues than I'd like with the variable intake and throttle motors. I'm currrently replacing the block in an XG because of an issue with coolant in one of the cylinders, but this is also the only vehicle with this powertrain that I've seen with such a serious engine issue that wasn't owner-induced.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I believe the accelerator position sensor is adjustable as well as perhaps the throttle position sensor, but if these were far enough out of adjustment to cause an issue, your check engine lamp should be on. I've experienced defective sensors, but never one out of adjustment on this electronic throttle system (XG, Santa Fe).

You could try reinitializing the throttle plate, but I suspect your dealer has already done that. To reinitialize, turn the ignition key to the on position (do not start engine) and immediately turn it back to off. Then leave the key off for at least ten seconds. This often relieves some of the suddenness of the acceleration.

I still think, however, that if the throttle is binding, that's an issue. I don't think it'll significantly affect your fuel mileage, but it's a serious safety concern. Of course, I haven't driven your vehicle, so I don't know how much it sticks.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Auto manufacturers can control emissions better with electronic throttle. You stomp the pedal, the computer opens the throttle plate gradually as it sees fit. Prevents a large amount of fuel dumping. Then again, it also can prevent the car from doing what you want it to. I'm not sold on the idea that electronic throttle is the way to go.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Given the sudden acceleration issue I've described, this might be a case of unrealized potential...at least in this one instance.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo