2005 Santa Fe Accelerator

Since I'm doing primarily highway driving you're probably right. If I were mostly a city driver I'd disagree.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

Yes, even though my degrees are in CS and EE, even I don't think that EVERYTHING has to be controlled with electronics and software! It is like the headlights on my 03 Dodge minivan. They are controlled via the BCM rather than directly switched like my 96 Plymouth minivan. There is a noticeable delay between flipping the switch and having the lights change from low to high and back. I'm not really sure that having the computer dim the headlights is really progress, especially when there is a detectable delay. They either should use a faster processor or go back to a relay.

I assume the Sonata is controlled by computer also, but I haven't noticed any significant delay in the dimmer switch, unlike the throttle which has a noticeable delay and then too much gain once it begins to move. It also seems to be rate sensitive. It feels, to me anyway, that the faster I move the throttle the faster it responds, but not linearly with speed as one would expect. It seems that moving the throttle twice as fast gets 3-4 times the rate of RPM increase.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

But even cars with cable actuated throttles can do this as the throttle only controls the butterfly (air flow), the computer still controls the fuel injection.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

That may well be true (at least theoretically), but with gasoline at $2+/gal (and almost certain to at LEAST double over the next decade) it's going to take an awful lot of increased durability to even come close to offseting that extra cost due to decreased fuel efficiency...especially considering how long most engines go now days without any significant maintenance anyway. Add in the fact that my new powertrain is warranteed for 10 years and I fail to see the benefit of sacrificing mileage (especially when the vehicle is newer, smaller and ligher) for some potential reduction in engine cylinder wear.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

Reply to
swenstrup

Have Hyundai or their dealerships recognized this acceleration problem?

WuzYoung> > I experienced something a bit different from the way you are describing it

ve by the pedel.

Reply to
swenstrup

Update: After my 2nd tank of fuel my mileage has improved to 17.3 mpg. Nowhere near where it should be yet, but a positive trend anyway.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo