2006 elantra alarm

Alarm goes off at odd intervals for no apparent reason. Anybody have any ideas?

Reply to
nothermark

Hood not adjusted properly, causing hood switch to make intermittent contact?

Check to see that the rubber bumper is in place on the hood and properly pushes down the switch.

What year is the Elantra? If it's a 2007, there's a TSB regarding replacing the hood bumper with a thicker one.

Reply to
hyundaitech

My '01 was doing the same thing, because the sensor under the passenger side of the hood wasn't depressing sufficiently. I took the cheap course of action of sticking something on top of the switch that would depress it further (I got a rubber cork/stopper from Home Depot and hollowed it out enough to snugly fit it over the switch). That fixed it right up. In my case, I think it was because the hood was bent - no idea why, how (not sure if it was like that when I got it, but when I noticed it, I can't imagine having not noticed it earlier).

Can't imagine the '06 is that much changed from the '01 (it's still an XD, right?)

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

Good catch. By the time I posted, I had forgotten the thread title. Indeed, the '06 and '01 have the same basic alarm setup.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks. I did not know about the hood switch. I'm sure I can find something to make sure the swich work properly.

mark

Reply to
nothermark