2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS

eBay: http://301url.com/2006_Elantra

Winning bid $7,400

---------------- NOT MUCH IS IT? FOR A 2006 ? --------------
FACT IS, ELANTRAS ARE TROUBLE -- THE BATTERY, FOR EXAMPLE, IS almost impossible to replace and service!
Hyundai DOESN'T want you even try to:
1) Check the fluid level in the cells.
2) Check the body and terminals for corrosion.
3) Remove the old battery and install a new one.
These tasks are almost impossible for the average motorist BECAUSE THE BATTERY SITS IN AN ENCLOSED, SEALED CASE! You can't see much less inspect the cell fluid levels. And half of the bolts under the hood on the driver's side have to be removed to free-up the battery.
See, Hyundai wants you to go to a HYUNDAI DEALER, where a battery costs $90, plus up to $50 more to install it. And at most Hyundai dealers I know, you have to leave your car for an entire day -- then hope it's ready when you return in the late afternoon or early evening.
"Aw, we're sorry, but you see we got real busy and couldn't get to yours. But tomorrow!"
AdvanceAuto Parts, AutoZone, Olympic Auto Parts, and Batteries Plus sell the same battery for $52 to $69, some including free installation.
Only problem? They can't get a sufficient supply of them to keep 'em in stock!
And that's what your conniving, inscrutable Hyundai folks want -- to force you to spend more on a new battery than a normal car owner would expect. Parts companies list the Elantra batteries as "special." And that they are!
Additionally, the OWNER'S MANUAL has neither a diagram or instructions for accessing and servicing your Hyundai Elantra battery. Just a one- paragraph entry that says, in effect, Be careful when servicing the battery."
I've had my 2004 Elantra GLS for 3 years and the battery is already shot. Needless to say, with problems also with the air bags, brakes, power locks, and engine noise and vibration, I've bought my last Hyundai product!
My advice to Hyundai? Hold up on building those factories in the U.S. Too many one-time customers could make for sluggish, then anemic, sales.
While I agree that Hyundai factory batteries are generally crap, the Elantra battery (nor any other Hyundai battery for that matter) is not particularly difficult to replace. While it's true the battery is sealed and you cannot check the acid/water level, this is common for new batteries, in part to help prevent spillage, which would create environmental concerns. Remember that the OE battery in your Elantra made its way here from Korea.
Here's the procedure I use to replace a 2001-2006 Elantra battery: 1. Remove the three retainers holding the plastic cover in place. 2. Loosen the negative terminal bolt and disconnect terminal. 3. Lift cover off positive terminal. 4. Loosen the positive terminal bolt and disconnect terminal. 5. Remove the 12mm bolt and remove the battery hold down bracket. 6. Hold the plastic cover out of the way and lift the battery out. 7. Installation is the reverse of removal.
If bending the cover out of the way insults your sensibilities, you can remove another bolt, freeing the cover completely.
I'd imagine the above procedure is within the capabilities of just about any do-it-yourselfer. Most likely, they'll be able to do the job in under 15 minutes.
I'm sorry your Hyundai has had so many probems, but I don't think your experience is typical. At this point, you can be happy it's covered under the new vehicle warranty (with the possible exception of the battery). If at the end of the warranty period, you decide it's too much to stomach, you can sell it and get something else. My experience with 2001-2006 Elantras is that they've been quite reliable cars.
John Fartlington Poopnagel wrote:

This is true on almost all cars made in the last 20 years. Did you just wake up from a long nap? :-)
Matt