2006 Hyundai quality report from J D Powers

Page 1 of 2
3rd place behind Porsche and Lexus. then Toyota jaguar Honda cadillac see : http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?pB53388#post4253388
Quote:Hyundai ranks among the top three nameplates in the study for the
first time in the history of IQS. Highlights include a top ranking for the Hyundai Tucson in the compact multi-activity vehicle (MAV) segment, and top-three segment performances for the redesigned Sonata and all-new Azera, as well as the Elantra and Tiburon.
Deck wrote:

This is good-news to Hyundai customers (will increase value of their car at trade/sale time) and for me. (Yipes, an evil car salesman who sells the Hyundai line in the Sacramento, CA area is lurking here! Oh the horror! :-))
People are getting 'educated.' They can get the same or better quality from Hyundai without paying Toyota/Honda prices. That is NOT to imply that either Toyota or Honda are 'bad' autos. They are excellent. Competition is good. But there is now a third choice out there for consumers, one that usually will give more car for their dollar.
A.C. (Contact me? Put underscores between the words.)
A.C. wrote:

While I've been quite pleased with the assembly quality of my Sonata, it certainly isn't in the same league yet as Toyota. However, I think Hyundai's bribes are much better than Toyota's. I suspect Hyundai will be a match for Toyota in a few more years, but I don't believe this survey is accurate today. I think Hyundai is intentionally skewing the numbers, but this is nothing new for Koreans. Their sense of ethics isn't the same as ours or Japan's. That is well known.
Matt
can you tell us how you can pronounce these truths ? .........seems to me the japanese have been far from ethically superior.(rape of Nanking, Korean comfort girls come to mind) Autowise, how is the sonata leagues inferior to, say, a camry? I will say time will tell, and initial quality isn't everything......ps, I like to top post, and am going to stop apologizing for it!

Damn Matt! is this the same as "no good deed goes unpunished"... enjoy the moment. leave the skeptics to the honda/toyata people!!:)
Deck wrote:

No, not at all. Hyundai's gains in product quality have been impressive. I just think that the current rating is too much due to bribery and not enough due (yet) to underlying product quality. I have no doubt that Hyundai will get there, but I don't think they are there yet. I'd place them in the top 10 probably, but they aren't ahead of Toyota by any stretch of the imagination.
Matt
UH, do you have any hard proof of this bribery? I think Nissan is the company that you are thinking is crooked!
Kevin

K. Collier wrote:

Yes, personal experience. Read the past posts for details.
Matt
Unless you took a bribe or made a bribe, then I don't see that you have any proof.
Care to elaborate?

Throwing my two cents in.... I think very highly of my new 06 Sonata. The build quality is excellent and I love the car and I'd tell that to J.D. Powers or anyone else who asked because it's the truth as far as I am concerned.
Neither Hyundai nor the dealer has bribed me with anything and even if they had thrown piles of "free oil change" coupons at me, it would not change the build quality or how happy I am about the car.
K. Collier wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Toyota's quality has gone down since they outsourced their American production to GM facilities. Their smaller vehicles also lack value compared to practically anything else on the market - "resale value" aside (I generally don't sell still-running vehicles so 'resale value' means little to me)
Its been going on since 1992ish that I know of (Geo Prism/Toyota Corolla), and its not doing any favors for Toyota.
OTOH, I haven't been closer than 20 ft to a US-built Hyundai, yet.. I wouldn't be surprised if the build quality has gone down - its happened to every other foreign-gone-domestic automaker...
JS
JS wrote:

Do you have even a shred of evidence to back that up? I've seen data exactly to the contrary. The number of problems per 100 vehicles has been in a steady decline for all regions of the world for last 20 years or so. Some of gained faster than others and the Asians still lead, eith the US behind and the Europeans father behind, but I've seen no uptick in issues in general.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

You completely missed the point, but thats no real surprise.
JS
JS wrote:

No, I caught the point precisely. You made an inaccurate claim and have nothing to back it up.
Matt

I've seen older Sonatas and own a new one. The build quality has improved, and I believe it will continue to improve.
American workers are second to none when they are unencumbered by union politics. You can't compare the work coming out of the northern union shops and the non-union shops of Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Yes, I agree that the biggest problem isn't the American worker it is the American labor and management system that is broken. However, having said that, my employer owns plants in Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Europe and the US. And the Koreas are probably the most industrious and have the highest attention to detail of any of the folks I've worked with. That Japanes are very good also, but have more NIH than the Koreas who will "adopt" (some say steal even) almost any practice that they think will give them an advantage.
Matt

I agree, to a point.
All I have to go by is MY initial quality. After 4 months and 4K miles, only 1 problem. (ka-thunk in the trunk). That represents the best build quality of any car I've owned, by far. This is my 7th new car. I've owned VW, Audi, Mazda, and Toyota, and none of them were close to my Sonata in initial build quality. Of course, each successive car I buy has better build quality, so I chalk some of it up to general improvement in the industry.
The Sonata owner's I'm talking to also have very few problems. When they do, they get pretty upset, so I don't think they are holding back on reporting. The problems I am reading about are mostly niggling problems, and many aren't even related to build quality. I bet if you took away the ka-thunk in the trunk, Hyundai would have been even higher in the JD Power survey. That's because the Sonata made up such a high percentage of Hyundai sales in 2005.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Yes, we trust our own experience the most!
I've found the Sonata pretty good, but only equivalent to my 86 Jeep Comanche and 84 Honda Accord, but not as good as my 94 Chevy pickup or my 89 Plymouth Acclaim, the latter being the best car I've ever owned both from initial quality as well as long-term durability. The Chevy pickup really only had two problems, one a design problem that couldn't be corrected (stumbling at partial throttle) and one major problem (pushrod failure), or it would have been the equal of the Acclaim.
My Sonata has had no real assembly defects, but has several design defects that we'd discussed before here.
Matt

I think there is probably a correlation between build quality and long term reliability. Certainly not 1:1, but usually cars that little stuff falls off of when new have big stuff fall off later. :)
--
Bob

Bob Adkins said: "I think there is probably a correlation between build quality and long term reliability. Certainly not 1:1, but usually cars that little stuff falls off of when new have big stuff fall off later. :) "......
Hmm.
Don't get me wrong, Bob, because I am a pro-Hyundai guy. But exhibit A arguing against your point of view is General Motors.
Since the J.D. Powers initial quality survey has begun, GM has had some cars rate very highly, and some of their brands do awfully well. And indeed, GM's initial build quality seems to have improved dramatically.
But the effects are yet to be seen long-term. I stopped buying GM's because, although I was a GM guy, their vehicles would always have issues, things I even invented a word to describe them - "GM-isms." The improvement on initial quality seemed to just put those inevitable problems back a little ways.
In defense of your position, even when brands like Hyundai and Kia weren't working their way up the totem pole, I have NEVER had problems with any of them like I did with every GM, Ford and Chrysler I ever owned, no matter what J.D. Powers said.
Tom Wenndt