2006 Hyundai quality report from J D Powers

Page 2 of 2
Bob Adkins wrote:

Actually, I've had just the opposite experience. I've found that cars with little problems tend to not have big problems and vice versa.
I think design has more to do with long-term durability and assembly more to do with initial quality perception.
Matt

Matt, why did I know you would think the opposite? :)
--
Bob

Interestingly I was just watching part of a story on the Hyundai plant in the US on the History channel. Two things came through loud and clear.
Increasing quality on parts allowed increasing automation that provided lower cost to fund increasing quality on parts to fund more automation etc. Only use people where machines can't do the work. Its a nice circle compared to a lot of cost acutting I've seen.
Second - focus on the major problems. As they put it - small things annoy people but they can ignore them until they can get them fixed as long as when they put the key in the car starts and goes somewhere.
That seems to be my experience and what I keep seeing here. Ford an Chevy are worrying about transmissions or engines, Hyundai owners complain about thumps in the trunk. I'll take the thump.
;-)

nothermark wrote:

My experience has been much the opposite. I've found American designed and assembled cars to be well designed, but often not well assembled. I've found my Sonata to be well assembled, but not as well designed in several areas. Personally, I'd like a well designed AND well assembled car, as I think we all would. However, if I have to give on one, I'd rather give on assembly quality before giving on design quality. Either the dealer can correct the assembly issues or I can often correct them myself. It is almost impossible to correct a design problem in the field.
Matt
Any chance you recall the name of the show? I'd like to see that story.
nothermark wrote:

here is the link....you can watch it on your computer.. http://www.historychannel.com/modernmarvels/?page=video

You can have it, and take mine while you're at it. :)
No, I agree. I saw the film too. I'm impressed with the robotics, but even more impressed with the people. One guy was really impressive, and I thought he was a manager of some kind. The subtitle stated he was a "Team Member", meaning a regular hourly worker. I like the way they all seem to be focused on cars, not seeing who can screw the other.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Great comeback, Bob! As soon as I read it, I was thinking "I wish I'd have thought to say that."

That is good to hear. Anyone know when this was aired? I'd like to find it and see if it is scheduled to air again sometime.
Matt
It was one of the "something" Marvels - I think the content was "Assembly Lines". I will try to send another note after I check the name when it pops up again later. It's a common series on

Hey Matt, here is a link to The History Channel's film. It has 90% of the Sonata plant footage. I viewed it 3-4 times, and noticed different little things each time. Better hurry, I'm guessing they'll be taking it down soon.
http://www.historychannel.com/modernmarvels/?page=video
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Thanks, Bob, I just watched it. Pretty cool!!
Looks like the end got chopped off some, but maybe I'll catch a re-run on the History channel and have my mother tape it. I live in the boonies and only get 3 channels on the rabbit ears! :-)
Matt

Not to worry, they have a lot of reruns. It's been on 3 or 4 times in the last week at various times of the day. It will probably be run a dozen more times this year.
I never knew that Henry Ford copied slaughter house techniques of the day. He simply reversed the "disassembly" lines they used in the big meat plants. :)
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

My mother uses something like Zap2It (I'm sure that isn't right, but it is something like that) to look up schedules for the History channel and said this show had run twice recently, but doesn't show up again in the future for at least the next month, so I may have to wait a while.

Yes, was it Solomon who made some little comment about nothing new under the sun. :-)
Matt
One thing to notice is that this report is on "initial quality" and not "long term quality". Don't get me wrong, I think Hyundai is making excellent cars and are a lot more reliable than any domestic cars, but they are not in the same league as Japanese or German manufactures.
I've had some minor problems with problems on my sister's 99 Elantra (90k miles ) which just shouldn't happen at the time they occurred (spark plug wires at 50k, O2 sensor at 45k, fuel pump connectors needed to be cleaned at 60k). Also the paint they use doesn't seem to hold up. There are dull marks on sections of the car and that's with 2 coats of wax per year. My 95 Integra looks almost like new even today.
Nick

Nick wrote:

I agree. Hyundai (and the rest of the world for that matter, except maybe Italy) is well ahead of the Germans, but still not up with the Japanese, at least not the best of the Japanese.
Matt
I have been driving a Sonata GLS V6 since December 2005 and am very satisfied with the initial quality of the vehicle. I am one of the customer that filled J.D. Power's surveys and sent it in. I don't know about bribery and all, but I sent in top initial quality rating based on my own experience.
I truly felt (and still feel) that I got a much better car (feature-wise) for much lower price compared to Camry or Accord. I am yet to find any significant problem or annoyance.
I ride in my friend's new Camry to work (in the passenger seat). It is 2006 model bought in 2005. I don't see any difference between Sonata and Camry. I know for a fact that long-term quality of Camry is great because I used to own a Camry. Time will tell how Sonata will perform long-term.
Before November 2006, we didn't even consider Hyundai. We are currently contemplating replacing our 1999 Sienna with a Hyundai or Kia.

Just another useless JD Powers report

sour grapes?