2006 Hyundai Sonata Engine Whine

I have a 2006 Sonata with 5200 miles on it. It is a GLS V6 and I really lover it BUT..
I have developed a very annoying engine whine at 60-69MPH. I have had the
Tech drive it and he has acknowledged that the noise exists but I get the feeling they do not give it much prioirity. Has anyone else experienced this noise?? Have you gotten any information about it. I am trying to find anyone that has had this so I can get Hyundai to address this matter and not just sluff it off, which seems to be what they are doing so far.
FYI - The Tech discovered that while using the sportronic shift and going fom 5 to 4 gear the noise immediately ceases but as soon as you upshift back to 5th the noise immediately re-appears.
I haven't seen anything like this, but am interested.
Did the tech determine whether the whine is coming from the engine or transmission? I.e., does it happen only at certain rpm's, or only in certain gears. An engine noise would tend to be rpm dependent, but reproducible in all gears. A transmission noise, on the other hand, is likely to either be related to vehicle speed or change depending on the gear, but occur over a broad range of engine rpm's.
It's a possibility that the noise is a normal occurrence from either the engine or transmission that transmits excessively to the passenger compartment. These types of noises can often be effectively reduced by installing vibration dampers in strategic locations. Some early Santa Fe's had a transmission whine that was lessened by installing a damper on the shift cable.
wolfcub27540 wrote:

Sounds more like transmission whine than engine whine. My Chrysler minivan developed a while in the transmission that was annoying at low speeds (under 35 MPH), but never gave any problem in 178,000 miles.
I had a rental van last summer that had less than 1,000 miles when I picked it up and it developed a whine before I returned it 2400 miles later. I think it was driving up Pike's Peak and all of those other mountains in CO that did it. :-)
Matt
Hyundaitech,
It happend from 60-69MPH and is not RPM dependant at least I do not think so. I sat in my DW and revved the engine to the 2,000RPM mark (60MPH)and no noise. The only other time I hear it is when the car is getting ready to upshift around 40MPH it breifly whines and goes away as soon as the upshift ocurrs but then comes right back at 60MPH.

Since it's speed dependent, it could also be coming from the tires.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Who are you replying to? Please include the text of the post you are replying to so that we can understand the point of your response.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I'd be leaning toward engine-generated whine if it happened at 40MPH in one gear and 60MPH in another. Chances are the rpm's were about the same. Could be any of the belt-driven devices or any host of other things.
I have a 2006 Sonata with 5200 miles on it. It is a GLS V6 and I really lover it BUT..
I have developed a very annoying engine whine at 60-69MPH. I have had the Tech drive it and he has acknowledged that the noise exists but I get the feeling they do not give it much prioirity. Has anyone else experienced this noise?? Have you gotten any information about it. I am trying to find anyone that has had this so I can get Hyundai to address this matter and not just sluff it off, which seems to be what they are doing so far.
FYI - The Tech discovered that while using the sportronic shift and going fom 5 to 4 gear the noise immediately ceases but as soon as you upshift back to 5th the noise immediately re-appears
UPDATE: After test driving two other Hyundai's and discoevering they DO NOT exhibit the noise Hyundai has agreed to give me a new Intake Manifold, which they have diagnosed as the cause of the problem.