2006 Hyundai Sonata: Opinions?

Page 2 of 2
Eric wrote:

Yes, I'm just a couple of miles south of the NY border. Yes, I get by fine with all-season tires. Success in winter driving is, in my opinion, 90% technique and 10% equipment. There are maybe 2-3 days a year when studded snow tires would be of significant benefit. The rest of the winter they are a detriment as they are almost always worse on dry pavement than are all season tires. So, I optimize for the 120 days of winter when the roads are clear and dry or just wet rather than for the 2-3 days when things are nasty. And, as I said, I have a snow plow equipped pickup with 4WD and heavy lug tires for those really nasty days. :-)
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

I'll agree it's at least 80/20, but in my experience tire quality, design and tread depth makes up a big part of that 20% or 10% or whatever.

Good for you. For now I can only afford one vehicle, though I hope that changes one of these days.
BTW I don't use studded tires; too noisy, too much trouble and they are actually a safety hazard on dry clear roads, I've heard. I've got a set of Kelly Magna Grip snows on my Malibu Classic; not the best winter tire, but they are brand new, (got them Dec. 1) and it's what I could comfortably afford.
Thanks for the advice.
Regards, Eric M
Eric wrote:

Yes, but if ice is your real concern, you can't beat studded tires, unless you want to deal with chains.
Personally, if I thought I needed winter tires, I'd also get them studded. Since I agree that dry roads are the norm, even in a PA winter, I stick with all season tires as they are the best choice in most of the conditions we see.
Matt
I can't tell you much about the all season abilities of these Michelin's but I've owned them in the past with good results. I know what you mean about plenty of tread, having grown up in Reading/Pottstown, Pa area. I used to carry a set of tires in my trunk already mounted with chains.
You should be able to pick up a GLS for about 17,500.

Greetings! For those not in a hurry to drive, I get the impression that there will be a full report on the Sonata (both the 4 and the V6), as well as the new Ford Fusion family and a couple of others as soon as March in Consumer Reports magazine.
Don't know if you like the magazine, their slant or their politics, but they are thorough in their testing of cars. They seem impressed by it initially, much more so the 4 than the V6.
Test drove one myself. Agree that the 4 seems quite good, and people that own it LOVE the fuel economy. The room, the pleasantness, the amenities and the safety features are all VERY impressive. This seems like it is going to be a great car.
Tom Wenndt

Rev. Tom Wenndt wrote:

Thanks, Reverend.
I don't subsribe to CR but will keep an eye out for the March issue. If I buy a Sonata it will almost certainly be a four-cylinder. When cars this size started coming with 4-cylinder engines it seemed strange to me, but now having owned a 4-cylinder Malibu and having driven and ridden in a 4-cylinder Camry I'm a believer.
If you guaranteed gas would drop below $2/gallon and never top $2 again I would think about a V-6. Also, I don't know about Hyundai but in the GM world the Ecotech 4-cylinder is considered more reliable than the V-6, especially the troublesome 3.1L V-6 in the Malibu from a few years ago.
Regards, Eric M
Eric wrote:

I just filled my Sonata for the first time last night. It got 27 MPG on the first tank. This seems a little low, but I'm guessing it isn't given the circumstances - break-in, winter, not knowing if the dealer really had it full at delivery and the fact that one tank does not a trend make. This was about 70% highway and 30% in-town driving.
I have to admit that one of my biggest concerns with Hyundai was fuel economy. Every test I've read shows that Hyundai's seldom achieve the EPA ratings and almost always compare at the bottom of the comparison group. The Hyundai dealer was handing out fliers of a comparison test that one of the car mags had down with the Camry, Accord, Hyundai and, I think, a Chevy. The Hyundai did well in most of the categories of comparison, but it yielded the lowest actual gas mileage by a fair bit.
It seems that Hyundai must really tailor the car for the EPA test cycle and not as much for the real world. Even though the EPA ratings aren't that different from the Accord and Camry, it seems the real world mileage is a fair bit different. Time will tell...
Matt
I have a LX (V6) with 500 miles. I did some tests on the highway using the MPQ (G?) on the trip computer. AT 70 mph, steady speed, level road, 2 mile stint, i was getting 27 mgp; at 55 went up to 33 mpg. But stop and go around town, droppig kids off at school, commuting through towns with stop lights etc im down to 18. Maybe I should have gotten the GLS 4 and saved a few thousand (btw..i paid 19.3 for the LX, no moonroof, after 2k rebates and includes destination charge; TTL extra; basically ~$200 under invoice).But I got the car a few weeks ago and believe that weather plays a significant role in mpg. I just filled up and gonna drive a couple of hundred miles and compare how much it takes to fill up vs the trip computer, then try to focus on the temperature differences.