2006 Sonata - Antenna Amp?

Just replaced the stock stereo w/ a Kenwood head unit. Everything is great except AM reception. FM is good, but that could be because I'm so close to the transmitters.
Is there an amp on the antenna I need to connect to the head unit? If so, which factory wire is it? Thanks for any help anybody can give.

Where did you find a head unit that would fit the Sonata? Or did you nake modifications?
Thanks.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

I bought the head unit from Crutchfield; they supplied the wire harness (which is actually one used by Ford, but fits '06 Sonata); Cardomain has the Scosche Dash Kit, which they claimed was "factory color and texture," but which was actually black and didn't match texture. Still, after install, I'm happy with it. The kit can be used either as double-din or single-din with a pocket. Metra also makes a dash kit; I'm not sure if it's higher or lower quality.
The only problem with harness is that it omits 4 wires. A brown and green at pins 18 & 19, which are the steering wheel controls. I used Pac Audio's steering wheel adapter to work around that. There are 2 other wires, which I assume may be for an amp for the in-glass antenna. Not sure; I tried to connect the antenna power wire from the Kenwood HU to them, but it didn't help my non-existent AM reception.

Could the extra wires be for the facotry sub-woofer? Just a thought.
Eric
This isn't really my area of expertise, but any antenna amps I've seen go inline with the antenna wire. There isn't anything like this on the vehicle-- you'd have to purchase something and install.
hyundaitech wrote:

Thanks for the info! Do you know where I can view/download the pin diagram for the factory harness? The only ones I've been able to locate are for aftermarket harnesses, which omit the wires that the harnesses omit. I'm just curious what the 2 other wires on the factory harness are for.
Thanks

The one that was on pin 24 - I think it's G/B, but I can't read it for sure - is for the antenna amp. It needs 12 volts when the radio is on. If the amp's not powered, it's likely that the only thing you'll hear is what leaks through the amp, and cable. VHF (FM) is able to do that more easily than HF (AM).
Bob wrote:

Pin 24 it is. Connected it to the wire from my head unit, and I have radio again! Thanks for the help

Let me ask you guys something, since you seem to know your radios and wiring. I have Sirius radio. I can use it fine with my FM modulator, but as you probably know, the sound is much less than CD quality. On my (now traded in) Elantra, I used an in-line antenna adapter to pipe in the Sirius. Although it still relied on a FM modulator, the sound was much better - almost CD quality.
When I got rid of the Elantra I removed the antenna adapter and tried to install it in my Sonata. With it in place, I had great sounding Sirius, but my AM reception was almost nothing, and my FM was very poor.
Removing the adapter fixed that problem and I have left it alone ever since.
Could the adapter interfere with the built-in antenna amp? Is there any way around that?
Thanks for any help you can provide. I am thinking maybe this is some kind of grounding issue, but I tried a few things with no success. Of course, I wasn't aware of the antenna amp to begin with.
Eric
It could be interfering with the proper passage of the signal along the antenna wire. I'd think it'd need a built-in amp or some sort of pass-thru switch to prevent lack of reception.

It is a pass-through switch. It worked just fine on the Elantra without losing any reception. That is what really has me confused.
Eric

switching to the amp module near the back window (according to the schematic, there is an AM and FM antenna section). This is unlikely, as someone else here just replaced their radio with an aftermarket one, and I'm sure that does not provide a bias voltage. The switch for the modulator is likely cap. coupled which would block that voltage (if present). Measure from ground to the center pin from the radio.
More likely is that either the switch isn't working - kill the power to the Sirius receiver, and see if there's any difference in reception on a sort of receivable FM station - NOT the channel Sirius is transmitting on - when the Sirius receiver is turned on. If not, the switch, or the switching output from the Sirius receiver is broken. If it gets worse when the Sirius receiver is on, and better, but not good when it's off, it's probably a problem with the cable between the switch and the car radio - assuming the tail from the switch is the side the car radio belongs on, and the "hole" in the switch is where the car radio antenna goes. The modulator from the Sirius is probably hot enough that the car radio can hear it, even if the cable is bad.

I tested for voltage and have none (well, it actually shows 1 mV but I think my meter is just out of calibration). The adapter gives me the same reception on all AM/FM stations with or without the Sirius radio connected. Also, if it is connected, power on or off makes no difference. Yet I tested it all out on my Entourage, which I believe hasd the same antenna, and it worked fine. Weird.
Eric
You can view/print the schematics, shop manuals, and technical service bulletins at www.hmaservice.com. You'll need to register for an account, but it's free. The site requires IE.
If they still use the same plugs, its the wire above the black ground wire on the factory harness, it may be grey(i think) connect the blue wire from the aftermarket H/U to this wire, if it doesnt have a blue wire use the blue wire with a white stripe (it will have this wire)