2006 Sonata - Bad news, Good news

Well, I had my first significant failure on my 06 Sonata. The passenger side power window starting operating every more slowly until it got to the point where it would slowly roll down, but would not go back up without manual assistance.

In addition, the steering wheel starting making a funny sound when turning left and right, particularly when the weather was warm. It sounded almost like a squeegee sounds on a window. It was most noticeable when turning the wheel a lot while parking, etc.

I did have one prior warranty repair for the anti-chip film that came off the front of the driver's side rear wheel.

The good news is that it appears that both of the above items as diagnosed today (window regulator and clockspring) appear to be covered under warranty since the car still has fewer than 60,000 miles.

So, losing a window motor in less than 4 years and 53,000 miles is a nuisance, but I'm glad for the Hyundai warranty terms! Now just have to wait for the parts to come in and take the car back again.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

Voyager scribbled:

Well, technically the regulator isn't the motor. Be glad you don't have a GM Vehicle. Seems like the window regulators break like clockwork every 2 years (at least they did on my Grand Am's). In fact, one of them failed twice under warranty, and the 2nd failure was in such a way that they actually had to replace the glass instead of just the cheap plastic clips.

Now if my 06 Sonata would quit blowing out Brake Lamp Bulbs every 6 months.....

Reply to
Don P.

I assumed it was all one unit these days, but I haven't seen one apart. I still like my old Chevy pickup crank windows. 16 years and 114,000 miles and the windows go up and down just like new. I don't think I've had a car yet with power windows that hasn't had to have a motor or regulator replaced at least once.

The dealer did say regulator, so maybe the actuator rusted or something and the motor is actually OK. Are they separately replaceable units in the Sonata?

Reply to
Voyager

Never had one break twice. Probably because I took the regulator out and propped the window closed with a notched piece of wood. All three (two cars) that I did were rear windows and they rarely ever got opened anyway. I'm told that may be part of the problem, not using the window and it sticks in place putting more load on the regulator cable.

I'm sure the design can be improved with better material, but that could add

25¢ to a door, a buck a car.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm a little bit concerned about the diagnoses, as they're different from the majority of what I've experienced. Slow windows and windows that require assistance are most often the result of a worn window motor. I've also heard on a number of vehicles (not just Sonatas) a low-volume high-pitch whining noise which most often emanates from the seal in the top of the steering rack. Although, as I recall a little more, I think the rack noise was limited to 2005 and older Sonatas.

Of course, not having been there to look at the car, you know what my thoughts are currently worth.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Well, the good news is that both issues appear to still be under warranty so if the regulator and clock spring don't fix the problems ... the dealer will get to do a "do over!" :-)

Matt

Reply to
Voyager