2006 Sonata gas mileage

Page 1 of 2
I just made my 4th fill-up since buying my Sonata GL 4 cylinder/5 speed. Here is the data:
tank 1    27.04
tank 2    29.39         tank 3    27.01         tank 4    26.90 -----     Average    27.46
Not terrible, but not what I hoped for. The EPA rating is 24/34 and I drive 70-80% highway. Hopefully, more miles and warmer weather this summer will bump this up a little. My 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager with the 3.3L V-6 and automatic transmission (and 178,000 miles!) was getting 22 MPG before its demise. Only getting 5 MPG more than the much larger van is a touch disappointing.
What are others experiencing with their Sonatas?
Matt
I have the V6. I'm getting 20.7 wit most driving in town. The other brands similar cars get better fuel mileage but I knew this going into the purchase. We still love the car.

After 4000 miles of a mix of in-town and highway driving, my computer shows 24.8 mpg for the 4 cylinder version. It's really obvious if you watch the computer how in-town driving drags down the average. That's where driving technique has so much to do with it. Stomp on the gas and suffer. Ease on the gas and enjoy.
Tom

Tom wrote:

Yes, I drove particularly gently this last tank and set the cruise at 55 for my 17 mile commute to work on mostly level 2 and 4 lane highway. I can't be much more gentle than that! That salesman told me he was getting 29 with his LX V-6. I have to say I no longer believe that.
I'd read that the Hyundais were much poorer on fuel economy than Toyota, Honda or GM, but I didn't think it would be so close to the EPA city rating for what is mostly highway driving. Oh well, I'm still hoping it will get better with a few more miles!
If it stays under 30 for my style of driving, I'll be an unhappy camper, and an Camry owner next time.
Matt
Tom wrote:

Turn off the engine at stop lights and watch your mileage go way up.
I haven't kept a good record, but that sounds similar to what I'm getting. I remember a low of 26.2 and a high of 28.4. I've got the GLS 4-cylinder auto (one of the first made in Alabama, which is where I live) and closing in on 2500 miles. All of the driving so far has been commuting to/from work, about a 35-mile trip with about 20 miles highway. Part of the city driving is through a major road construction zone, so lots of stop and go and slow moving. I'd like to get out on the highway for a longer trip just to see how it does. I'm a little disappointed in the MPG so far, given the 24/33 rating. I had been getting 24-27 MPG with the '94 Camry (175,000) that I traded in for the Sonata. Overall, though, I'm very pleased with the new car.
I've also noticed that the computer MPG on the GLS seems to be higher than what I've calculated by hand. I have been resetting this after each fill-up. Have wondered if others have noticed differences.
Barry
Matt Whiting wrote:

Barry Scott wrote:

Well, matching your Camry isn't too bad, although I think the new Camry's do a little better than the old.

I don't have a computer onboard so all of mine are done by hand and I can't offer you anything here.
Matt

My computer also reports a bit higher mileage, but I've found it to be in the neighborhood of 0.1 MPG. I consider that to be pretty accurate actually.
While I've personally never owned another car with a MPG computer in it, I have rented several that seemed to be off by as much as 5 MPG one way or the other.
I think the cost would be prohibitve to install something more accurate than what we have.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Last time I checked, it was off by 1.8. First time I've had the trip computer as well, so didn't know if that was to be expected. It's not a big deal to me really since I'll normally calculate by hand anyway. FWIW, I leave the computer on the trip range setting and like that feature a lot.
Barry
Barry Scott wrote: > I've also noticed that the computer MPG on the GLS seems to be higher

It sounds like the computer in my Elantra. While it's generally within .5 MPG of the calculated mileage, it's been off by as much as 3 MPG at times. Some of that is due to variations in gas pumps, but that's not enough to explain all of the variation.
<<I've also noticed that the computer MPG on the GLS seems to be higher than what I've calculated by hand.>>
In some areas, the gas pumps are checked for accuracy, and the station gets dinged if they don't deliver the full indicated amount. So, the station may be setting them to deliver slightly more than the indicated amount. This would inflate your hand calculations of MPG.
John Cowart

Unfortunately, I am reading this at work, and don't have all of my data in front of me, but my mileage curve with the V6 has been similar to yours. Basically subtract 4 MPG from your numbers and you've got mine. Which follows the EPA difference of 4 MPG in the V6's 20/30 MPG rating.
I am just shy of 6,000 miles, however, and my mileage has been steadily DECREASING. As I have noticed in my previous Hyundais, this seems to be the trend until you get close to 10,000 miles when things improve greatly.
I am also disappointed with my results, I must admit, but I consider it a trade off. Either you pay much more up front for a Toyota or Honda, that probably get better mileage "out of the box", or you pay for it on the back end with Hyundai in the form of gasoline payments.
Buying a comparable Japanese car would have cost me $8,000-$10,000 more up front. That will buy a lot of gas.
Otherwise, I can't find anything other than minor/ergonomic flaws with the car.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

That is very interesting. I wonder if there is some "curve" programmed into the ECU that runs the engine a little rich during break-in and then moves to a leaner mixture later on. That sure is a curious one. Well, I've always kept a log in all of my vehicles and I record every tankful and all of my maintenance. So, I'll post the results here from time to time and may even enter them into Excel to plot the trend.

That's probably true, although where I live the delta for a Camry was more like $4,000. I paid $16,300 after the rebates were applied to the price I negotiated. I could have got a similar low-end Camry for about $20,500. It didn't have all of the safety equipment that the Sonata has, but it was close. The resale value of a Toyota typically more than offsets the purchase price differential, unless you run your cars until they die as I do and then it is less of a factor.

I pretty much agree, although I consider the poor heater to be a major flaw given my climate and the throttle and clutch is a pretty major flaw, but this only applies to standard shift. Otherwise, I agree that the car is pretty solid overall with only minor issues.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

No, there isn't. The ECU does learn from the sensors on the engine and exhaust system, but it's only designed to optimize the fuel air ratio and timing for emissions and performance.
My Elantras mileage improved rapidly at first, then gradually up to 10K miles or so. I Eric's has gotten worse, it's probably due to a problem with his car, winter blend fuel or a change in his driving habits.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

My Chrysler minivans also adapt to the driving style. If you drive more aggressively, the vehicle (well, the transmission for sure) will adapt to your style and rais shift points, etc. Likewise, if you drive more sedately, as I typically do, it would lower shift points and try to maximize economy over performance. I was wondering if the Hyundai similarly had some adaptability programmed into the control systems.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Perhaps with the transmission, but I wouldn't know, since I've never owned a car with an automatic tranny. I adapt my shift points to my heart's content.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Likewise, but the wife likes the automatics so her minivans have all been slush box equipped. :-)
Matt
I have a 2006 GLS4 that is new. We took a trip on the hilly Taconic Parkway in NY with the temps 30-40F. Each way was 147 miles, so about 350 RT. I drove at 55mph or less with my wife and some luggage.This was almost all open road driving. I topped the tank off at the start and finish. We averaged 34mpg. The car had only about 250 miles at the start of the trip. Johnboy

I drive a 2006 GLS V6. Just crossed 1,000 miles. Very little highway driving. I drive conservatively (shift the gear to neutral during long stops).
Computer shows ~32 miles per hour speed and ~21 miles per gallon.
Significantly lower than '96 4-cyl Camry it replaced (~24 mpg), but I shouldn't be comparing the two.
My colleague owns a 2006 4-cyl Camry and he told me that he also gets around 21 mpg. His theory is that the cylinders in newer Camry are bigger than those in '96 Camry.
So far, we are happy with the new Sonata.

around
Glad you're happy with the new Sonata. Don't place a lot of faith in the computer though. Calculate your gas mileage yourself when you fill up. You'll find some significant discrepancy.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net