2006 Sonata GLS v6 Initial Quality Feedback

Page 2 of 3

I have a GLS V6 that has close to 7K on it now. I really do like the car and I have gotten past the fact I too have the suspension Clunk, however, I cannot get over the very annoying engine whine that my car developed btweeen 60-69MPH. I have been working with Hyundai on this but they have not been extremely helpful so far. They have actually been suggesting I go into artbitration to have them buy the car back. I really like the car and have told them I simply want them to replace the Intake Manifold since they have diagnosed the engine whine as being a characteristic of the manifold but not all cars have this problem so if they replace it maybe I wilkl get a new one that does not have it as a characteristic.
snipped-for-privacy@execpc.com wrote:

That is a lot different than the overall average for a full tank, however.
Matt

This portion was for 234 miles. An additional 104 miles was commuting over a 2 day period. Stop and go driving with numerous stop lights and signs and average speed of about 25 MPH (26 miles each way and it takes me about 55 minutes on a good day. Mileage was at 27.1 combined. I consider this a pretty good mix.
Marc
On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 07:39:50 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@execpc.com wrote:

Marc,
I'm getting 26.1 on 80% highway 20% city. (39mph average speed), and I'm delighted. I'm also delighted that my trip computer is balls on accurate, and also reports exactly 26.1mpg.
I feel like I'm stealing gasoline. 26mpg on a car that size and weight, only 800 miles on the clock, and with an engine that strong is almost too good to be true. And,,, it may even improve 1-2mpg!
--
Bob

I'm commuting about 40 miles a day, from West Los Angeles to downtown LA. I now have 3000 miles on my V6, and I have not yet been able to reach 20 mpg, but that's ok compared to other V6 cars.
My only complaint is the front seat. I have the manually adjusted seat and even in it's lowest position, it feels as if it's tilted forwards. On the other hand it's very easy to get in and out due to the short seat. I have not yet done any long distance traveling, but I have a feeling that the seat would get very uncomfortable after a couple of hours.
Other vise it's a very sweet ride, and it's always good to know that you have the 5/10 year warranties.
"ptchristensen @att.net" <news> wrote in message

mpg,
I like our '04 Sonata and it's pretty much every bit of what we expected, plus maybe a little. I did want to address your comment above though. V6 engines should be well able to achieve 24-26mpg around town. I've had GM V6's for a long time. I've had supercharged 3.8L, non-supercharged 3.8L, 3.1L. 3.4L and they all achieved this kind of mileage. All of them got 30 or over on the highway with cruise set at 72mph. I've got a pretty heavy foot and I like to feel a car accelerate, so my driving style does not eeke out the last possible mpg. The supercharged 3.8L might have been a little under 24 - maybe hovering around 21-22 around town. Rock steady 31mpg on the highway though. As predictable as taxes.
New engine break in time does have an effect on most motors and it's common for them not to develop their proper power or their proper fuel mileage when new. I'd sure hope to see 24 around town out of the new Hyundai motor after break in.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

My in-laws have owned two Centuries and I've driven a couple of larger Buick rental cars, and this has been my experience as well. However, Chryslers, Fords and other makes seldom seem to match GM in this regard. The Camry and Accord will yield similar mileage, but only with both a smaller car and small engine. The Buicks are really impressive in highway mileage. I'm not sure how GM does it, but I've seen in many times in Buicks. My experience, however, with Chevy's isn't quite as good.

Me also! I'd even more like to see 30 in my daily ~18 mile commute to work that is mainly on level two and four lane highways. So far, 27.5 is my average, but I check every tank so I'll report back as the mileage increases (3,600 miles so far) and the weather warms as spring approaches.
Matt

good.
Most of my experiences were with Buicks as well. I'm a Buick guy. We've had Park Aves, and a Regal. All of them I've loved, especially the Regal. The 3.1L I mentioned was in a Malibu. You're right though - Buick does find mileage in those motors and not at the cost of power.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

It was a Park Avenue that I rented to drive from Corning to Boston a few years ago. I was driving 75-80 most of the way and that beast got 31 MPG. I thought it had to be a mistake, but the fill-up matched the computer within a few tenths and I duplicated the performance almost exactly on the way home a few days later. Amazing for a car that size at that speed. I still almost don't believe it.
Matt

Makes you wonder if the carb is calibrated very lean. It makes the engine run hot, but really helps mileage. The down side is that it could shorten engine life a little.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

These cars haven't had carbs for probably two decades... Running hotter, assuming good oil, will make an engine last longer in general. Most engine damage occurs when the engine is cold, not hot, unless you run it out of water and REALLY overheat it. But running at 220 water temp vs. 180 will actually increate engine life if anything. These GM engines are nearly bullet-proof mechanically. Hotter temps may lead to shorter sensor life, but the mechanicals of the engine are happy to run a little warmer.
Matt

You knew I meant fuel-air mixture. :)

Well now. That depends on [how hot].

I think that's an overworked statement. If you start your engine dead cold and rev it like an angry Klingon , you're asking for trouble. A good engine will endure normal cold starts for 500,000 miles without measurable harm.

The higher the average engine temperature, the faster oils, greases, coolant, rubber, valve faces and seats, exhaust system, etc. break down.
As long as the oil comes up to operating temperature every start, moisture and acids will not accumulate. Ideally, the engine would reach ~220 for 5 minutes then cool down to ~150. But we all know that's not very practical. For 1 thing, hotter running engines get better gas mileage. :)
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Running at 150 would be very bad for an engine.
Matt

Not if it were [made] for it.
I don't know how I got into this conversation, and I want out! :-\
All I ever wanted to say is that heat is the enemy of everything except gas mileage. Engines are a compromise betwixt economy and durability. Everything else I said was meant to show that, and I guess I botched it. :-)
Man, it's 86 degrees out and just beautiful. My wife drove the new Sonata to a doggone hen party when we could be out driving it.
--
Bob

find
These are all fuel injected motors - no carb. The Buicks all got over 200,000 on them before being donated and the Malibu is currently at 125,000. No shortened engine life here.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Bob Adkins wrote:

You are easy to please! I rented a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country minivan for vacation this past June and it returned 25 MPG in similar driving and it weighs much more than the Sonata and was carrying 5 people and loads of baggage. I expect at least 30 from a car this size in the driving regime you mention above. The full-size Buicks get 28-30 in such driving so there is no reason for the Sonata to get less than that.
My 4 cylinder is returning only 27.5 or so in similar driving (I'd say maybe 70% highway rather than 80%) and I consider this abysmal mileage given the 24/34 EPA rating. I expected at least 30 MPG in 70-80% highway driving. Maybe in warmer weather and with more miles (I have 3600 now). I'm hoping at least!
Matt

Man, all these wonderful MPG figures make me wonder. I've never been so lucky (or is it so optimistic?) My 4cyl Toyota Pickup gets ~18, my former 4cyl Mazda 626 got 24 on a good day.
All figures are with A/C running. It's always so warm down here that I never finish burning a tank of gas without a good bit of A/C operation.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

I'm assuming you aren't driving 70-80% in highway mode. I get 16-17 with my K1500 extended cab pickup and 22-23 with my Chrysler minivan.

Mine are year-round averages that include slightly lower in the winter when it is below freezing (often below zero) and summer when it is 90+ with the AC on and everything in between.
Matt

16-17??? Holy cow Matt - that's big time mileage. You must have the super secret mileage booster package. My 1500 gets a steady 15mpg no matter how you drive it. Local driving - 15mpg. Empty drive from Syracuse to Philly (72mph in NY state, 80-90 once on the Northeast Extension) - 15mpg. Full of my daughter's belongings bringing her back from college - 15mpg. This truck only knows one stinkin' mileage rating - 15mpg. Unless of course I stick it in 4WD. Plowing snow in 4Low and it's a steady 6mpg. I never use 4Hi for long enough to know what that would be. Hell, I couldn't get 16-17mpg if I coasted the truck down hill for half a tank of gas.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I have a 94 K1500 with the 4.3L V-6 and the wide ratio manual transmission (I forget the designation, maybe MT8, but the one with the granny low ratio). Mine pretty much is stuck on 16 like yours is on 15, but I occasionally get 17 and occasionally 15 (mostly in winter). When I plow I get 10-11.
I replaced the stock 3.73 ratio diffs with 4.56 ratio as the engine was simply lugging too much at 55 MPH (only turned a little over 1600 RPM in OD) and I actually got better mileage with the lower ratio and it starts out a lot better and plows better.
I plow in 4-high and in L gear (the shifter isn't labeled 1-5 like the close ratio 5 speed was (if memory serves), but rather L-1-2-3-OD. With the 4.56 gears, even in high range the low gear is pretty low. :-)
The best ever mileage was 19 MPG that my brother-in-law achieved on a trip to Ohio to deliver his daughter to college. That was the only really long highway trip the truck has ever had.
I have a fiberglass cap on the truck which cost me a little mileage and I put a hood deflector on which cost me some more. I was getting closer to 18 on average before adding these two items.
I generally drive 55 - 60 on the highway, but this truck sees 50% highway at most. The weird thing is, as you say, it almost doesn't matter how I drive the truck. I can run it hard and rev it high before shifting, I can drive at 50 or 65, it still gets 16 MPG almost all the time. Weird.
Matt