2006 Sonata Headlights

Replaced the original bulbs with Sylvania Silver Star bulbs last May. Bought the car mid Feb. Friday right headlight burned out, replaced it Sat am. Sat night left bulb burned out. I am visiting in Mid America and H-7 bulbs are not growing on trees!! anyone else having trouble with bulbs? Over the years, on all my cars, I have probably only replaced 3 headlights!! Not including thee two.....have halogen bulbs in the last 4 cars...ever 03 Elantra still has original bulbs.

Reply to
Deck

more info....Saturday, after removing the headlight module from the car as instructed in the user manual, I put in the new bulb and reinstalled the unit. Today, after going to Wal-Mart and getting a new H-7 bulb (actually I bought 2, one for spare) I started looking to remove the left heaslight assembly and it looked like all I had to do was open the bulb cover, remove the bulb and replace it. I did in about 3 mins...then I looked at the right headlight assy and find I could have replaced the bulb on that side too by just removing the cover and replacing the bulb.....live and learn!!!

Reply to
Deck

Good to know as I'll probably be doing that some day. You'd think bulb replacement would be simple but on most any car today it is a major chore.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Some of the past threads on this are now old enough that they have probably been removed off of this board. But these issues have been discussed in the past.

To summarize:

*SilverStars have some of the shortest life of any bulb you will ever buy, partially because most Sylvanias don't have long lives. My son uses the SilverStars on his 2002 Hyundai Elantra (at my recommendation and installation), because the standard bulbs were pretty dim. They are impressive, but they don't last long. Thankfully, the local Wal Mart was having a clearance on them, and my son bought them out at $10 for a two-pack. If your Wal-Mart is like mine, they are now stocking GE bulbs for H7, which should be a bit better. BTW, Phillips has a brand new bulb line, which includes two H7's. Unless you want to spend a fortune on some specialty bulbs, they may be the way to go if you can find them.

*Bulb replacement on most of the H7-based Hyundais is proving to be quite simple. The biggest thing you have to do is pay attention to how the bulb is removed - notice which direction the bulb's notch was in the assembly when it was removed (most are either straight up or straight down). The most common problem reported was getting the bulb in straight. On a few models, you may have to remove the battery on one side to reach the headlight.

Hope this helps.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt