2006 Sonata Induction Service!

I have a 2006 Sonata V6 with approximately 17500 miles on it. I have been regularly taking it to the dealer for oil changes & tire rotations etc. When I took it last week the service engineer sounded quite surprised that I hadn't done an induction service at 15k itself. He advised me to do it but I was short on time & not too sure it was absolutely important. He also kept trying to convince me to fill the tires with nitrogen. The Nitrogen part I have read about here & at other places & I am not convinced it is needed; However I don't want to skip an induction service if it is really needed. TIA for any advice... NB Nitrogen is $39 & induction service $89.

Reply to
Vineeth

What's an induction service? I must have been sleeping when this service was added to the list of must dos : )

I agree with you on the Nitrogen crap. Yes, nitrogen molecules ARE bigger than oxygen. But nitrogen already comprises 80% of the air we put in our tires. IMHO, somebody created a great new revenue source and now it's a "must do" --- NOT.

Reply to
DonC

I can give you a good price on a bridge... Change the oil, change the air filter every blue moon, and drive contentedly off into the sunset. FWIW my 06 lx has 62000 trouble free miles with oil changes every 4k miles(or so), an airfilter or two replaced, and a handy tire pressure gauge in the glove box. Happy motoring !

Reply to
Darby OGill

I suspect a lot of Dealers try to ease a few more dollars out of your pocket with items over and above the manufacturers specifications. Down here in Gosford, NSW, Aust every time my Sonata is serviced or even has a minor repair looked at its " we,ll need to maintain the injectors". This costs ~$90. What ever this "maintenance" is there is never any evidence of mechanical removal/replacement, seems to be just putting a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the tank. I can buy this bottle for ~$10:00 at the local autoparts. The Hyundai manual specifically says things should not be added to petrol or oil , the petrol companies say its not needed and I,ve never been prompted by any other car I,ve owned to have it done and never had any service issues with the injection system. Load of cobblers. I,m with the other responder, what the hell is an "Induction Service" Cheers John

Reply to
John

Sounds like he is trying to induce you to take more money out of your wallet. Just let them do what the book says. Scams like that are the reason I never have a dealer service my cars.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Vineeth" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@q70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

I have a '06 Sonata LX with 20000 Kms on it , so approx 12500 miles and never heard about "induction service"

Can't answer about the "induction service" but for the Niotrogen.

I have my tires filled with nitrogen, and I am very happy with it. Pressure is more stable, and I am "supposed" to save on gas. True or not??

But I will never pay for Nitrogne. My local Costco Wholesale fills tires with Nitrogen for... free! I don't think it worth $39.

Regards,

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

"Shaman" wrote in message news:X1Xvj.297$ snipped-for-privacy@weber.videotron.net...

I agree with the "Nitrogen approach"! That's why I always make sure I have my tires filled with the 80%-Nitrogen formula. And it's FREE!

Reply to
DonC

"Shaman" wrote in message

How stable is more stable? I've not added or let out any air in my tires in

15 months and 31,000 miles. Aside from making my billfold a little lighter, I don't see any advantage to nitrogen. Perhaps in 200 mph race cars and jumbo jets that go to 36000 feet and back, but not in my everyday driver.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It isn't free. You just aren't seeing the cost explicitly.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

They are speaking of the cleaning the throttle body. On an older car with maybe some deposits causing the throttle plate to stick it may do some good. On a car with 17000 it is a waste of money. I wonder what the hyundaitech has to say on these " services" Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

OK, that makes sense. Although I've driven cars to 200k and never had that problem.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's not just the dealer that's trying to sell unnecessary services. I've seen cars come from Mechants or Jiffy Lube having fluids unnecessarily flushed there.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

They're probably doing more than pouring a bottle in the tank. Most professional injector cleanings are done by attaching a pressurized container of a flammable cleaning agent to the fuel delivery system and disabling the fuel pump. Then the vehicle is run off of the chemical.

Most of these chemicals I've used, usually name brand addive company's chemicals, seem to accomplish nothing. The best I've ever seen for cleaning injectors is the GM-recommended procedure. Take a pressurizeable container, add 80% gasoline and 20% GM top engine cleaner. (These are estimates, I don't recall for certain). Pressurize the container to the appropriate pressure range to run the engine but not so much as to overcome the fuel pressure regulator (varies by vehicle). Disable the fuel pump and run the vehicle. I've fixed some vehicles with clogged or sticking injectors using this procedure. That's never happened with anything else.

Injector cleanings have their place, but it isn't regular maintenance. I could see trying to fix a clogged or stuck injector with this procedure, but it's simply not economically wise as preventive maintenance. Check how much it'll cost to replace an injector and compare that to how many services you'll need to buy to reach that price. Then think about the number of times you've ever had an injector failure.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

A proper induction service will not only clean the throttle body, but it'll also clean the intake manifold and hopefully get some carbon off the top of the valves.

Similar to my post about the fuel injection services, this isn't necessary as preventive maintenance unless your driving habits prove that you have a propensity to have problems which can be remedied by induction services. Many cars will operate a lifetime without ever having their throttle body cleaned and without needing any sort of decarboning. Most name-brand products I've used for this service seem to have little effect beyond the throttle body. Once again, GM top engine cleaner is the frontrunner.

If you've got a carboning problem, using the GM injector cleaning method combined with an induction cleaning using the aerosol GM top engine cleaner (for fuel-injected cars, since there's no carburetor to pour liquid into) seems to do quite a nice job. I fixed a Kia Sedona with a cold-start hesitation by doing this. Eventually, Kia came out with a PCM reprogram that solved the issue, but the root cause was carbon buildup on the valves.

Many of these additional "services" can be useful, but they shouldn't be done as regular maintenance. Each one will address certain issues which may otherwise be much more expensive if repaired either by disassembly to clean or by parts replacement. Unless you're experiencing an issue which one of these services has the potential to address, the service is typically a waste of money.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Because my employer offers the Nitrogen service, I was able to put some in my tires for free. My experience is that the bleed-off of pressure over time seems to have slowed. Otherwise, if I recall correctly, empirical evidence shows that expansion and contraction rates are close enough to that of air to make reduced temperature effects inconsequential.

Can I see the benefit, especially for those who don't check their tires frequently enough? Yes. Would I pay $40 for it? You've got to be kidding!

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Well... explain me where the cost is, aside the annual membership fee that is good for all the purchases in that wharehouse. Never bought a single tire there. They repairs flats for free, they fills tires with 98% Nitrogen for free for all the "members".

Reply to
Shaman

I guess I can breath a sigh of relief. Today I got a letter from them again reminding me about how it was recommended .. He said it will improve my pick up, & I told him my only complaint is the V6 has a bit more pick up than necessary as it is :) Well I should check out at my local Costco wholesale whether they offer it too.. I have the membership as it is so might as well take advantage of fringe benefits ...

Reply to
Vineeth

"Edwin Pawlowski" a écrit dans le message de news: QiXvj.7495$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net...

well, i don't "REALLY" know how more stable it is, but I have it for free so I don't loose anything. But I don't think I will be paying for Nitrogen. Not $39 like vineeth said!

Where I live winter temperatures go often as low as -25°C, even lower, and in summer temperature can go as high as 30 - 35°C so in winter -15°F and lower and in summer as high as 95°F...

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

"DonC" a écrit dans le message de news:

2cXvj.39$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.phx...

Well if I would have to pay for nitrogen, I would use the same formula... natural air with 80% Nitrogen in it!!

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

The cost is incrementally added to every product you buy there. Nothing is free, the only thing that varies is the method of payment.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting