2006 Sonata MPG update

I hit a new high water mark for fuel economy in my 06 Sonata with the L4/5 speed manual. My wife and I took a short weekend trip through the finger lakes area of upstate NY and got just over 32 MPG, which brings
my average since new up to just shy of 29. This trip was mostly rural two-lane roads traveling at 50 MPH or so as we weren't in any hurry. We did run the four-lane home from Geneseo back to Corning at 65 MPH though.
I'm anxious now to get on a real road trip to see what it will do. I'll be taking my daughter to college next weekend for freshman orientation and that will consist of about 160 miles of two lane (routes 6 and 66) and then another 40 or so of I-80. I've taken the trip using 15 and then I-80 for the bulk of the way, but it actually takes 30 minutes longer that way than the short-cut out 6/66 and droning along I-80 makes it SEEM like it takes hours longer!
Matt
I just got back from a 700 mile trip each way from Georgia to Pa and back. We traveled almost all interstate - 85,77,81. Our average on-road speed was 64.7 mph according to GPS and we averaged 32.0 mpg exactly for the trip each way. That's up and down the mountains of Va., which seem to go on for ever! Not bad, but would always like more.
Tom

Tom wrote:

I'm assuming you have the V-6, which would make that outstanding mileage in my book. I'll be very happy if I can match the 34 EPA highway rating with my 4 cylinder. If you beat the EPA rating by 2 MPG, I'd say you should be ecstatic! :-)
Matt

Although I have posted similar results as the above, recently my instant, and average mileage numbers have started to fall again.
I remember us discussing the seasonal additives to the fuel before, but now I am sure that, at least in my case, the additive here in NJ is the culprit.
I regularly travel just over the border to PA (from NJ) and since the prices in PA are much lower, I started buying a tank every once in a while at a station within sight of NJ. It is $0.20 to $0.25 per gallon cheaper.
In NJ they use 10% Ethanol now (started swithing to that in May and completed in early June). I don't know what they use in PA, but I am sure, at least in Bucks County, that it is NOT Ethanol.
I average almost 1.5 MPG better on the PA gas now after 3 tanks at the same station.
I can't yet say for sure if this is statistically significant, but it sure seems that way. An the seat of my pants tells me that I am getting a bit more power from the PA gas as well.
Anyway, just food for thought.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Yes, I'm expecting a big drop again in the fall when the winter blend starts being delivered. I'm going to enjoy the 30-32 MPG while it lasts though!
Matt
No, I have the 4 cylinder like you.
Tom

Tom wrote:

Automatic tranny? If you have the automatic, I think that is only 1 MPG less than the EPA rating (I think my standard shift was rated 1 higher on the highway rating and it is rated at 34), which I'd say is pretty good given the hilly nature of those roads.
I'll take my first long trip (>100 miles) with mine this coming Thursday so I'll see how it does.
Matt
Yep, I have the automatic transmission, so I guess I'm lucky.