2006 Sonata odd smell from air vent

I have a Sonata GL with 2500 on the clock. For the last 1000 miles the air vent has had an odd smell (wet dog !) when switched to intake from outside. Anyone else experienced this?

Reply to
Andrew

The moisture in the evaporator case has probably invited mold or something similar. The fresh air intake is in the right side of the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield. Turn the heater on full with fan on high and fresh air selected, and spray lysol or similar air freshener into the cowl to reduce the odor.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Most air freshening products (Lysol included) have warnings against using them on many types of plastics. I do know of one case where Lysol use had caused the 'air door' plastics to get soft (Ford).

Most air fresheners/spray disinfectants aren't exactly good for you to breathe either. You can figure anything that kills germs doesn't do much for your sinuses, throat, lungs, and eyes. Lysol cans have severe warnings about the carcinogen content inside - apparently it can also be referred to as "spray-on cancer"

Back during the extremely short time my Dodge truck was under warranty (3/36k, what a joke) a "dirt dobber" decided to plant her eggs in the AC drain tube, and the resulting puddle caused quite a mold build-up. Dealer used a can of Mopar-branded stuff with an application tube, sprayed in with the system off... Apparently the idea is the foam gets 'everywhere' and flushes the nasty stuff out of the tube, and it worked fine, but....

At about 80k I had to replace the heater core, which isn't a common repair on the newish model dodge trucks. Maybe I bumped the heater hoses too hard when changing sparkplugs? Maybe it was a manufacturing defect? Maybe it dislikes the dirt roads I drive? Maybe I just have bad luck? Maybe it was that can of foam cleaner? Hard to say.

JS

Reply to
JS

We use a product called "Frigi-Fresh" that says it's distributed by BG Products. It mentions eye and skin irritation and not to swallow, but doesn't say anything about inhalation. I would think any aerosol air freshener shouldn't have warnings about not breathing-- that's what you'll be using it for wherever you use it, right?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Yes, especially if I haven't used the AC in a while. Probably a little bit of mildew in the system. Mine usually clears out pretty quickly though. I've had other cars do this, but the Sonata seems worse than most cars I've owned.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Absolutely. The best part is that the dealer told me "This is a problem with all Hyundais." Two dealers now have told me that I'm stuck with the smell. Fantastic isn't it? My Elantra had the exact same issue, and now I have it in my 06 Sonata.

-B

Reply to
Blair

Print out Hyundaitech's post about the intake spray and take it to the dealership. See how they react to that.

JS

Reply to
JS

The dealership won't care what I've posted. The easiest solution is to get some aerosol air freshener and do it yourself if they can't figure out how to do it on their own.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Interdynamics makes a product called Pureair duct system cleaner and deodorizer for auto airconditioners. I bought mine at Pep Boys. 8 oz spray can. here is their web site:

Deck

Same thing in my Toyota pickup. Smells like dirty socks. Gah!

Here's what I do, and it helps a lot. Instead of running the AC on the coldest setting and low fan, I run it on a middle setting, and higher fan speed. That seems to keep things drier, and leaves less moisture for mold to grow in.

Haven't smelled it yet in the new-ish Sonata. It's the wife's daily driver, and she keeps the A/C on real low. But if it starts to smell, I can guarantee she will let me know! :)

Reply to
Bob Adkins