2006 Sonata Oil Change Info

The 3.3 liter engine takes 6.02 American quarts. Quick change shops are so accustomed to adding about 5 quarts, it's a good idea to double-check their work if you do not visit a Hyundai dealership for changes. For that matter, you may want to double check the dealership's work. I asked my dealership which oil they used for my first change and it was 10w30 instead of the preferred 5w20. I just performed my 2nd oil change on this car myself and thought I would share my findings...

While I love most of the changes on the 3.3 06 model, it is a pain to change the oil filter. The filter material is stored in a canister on top of the engine under the engine cover (which must be removed). A

10mm socket is needed to remove the engine cover and you will need a socket extension for two of the fasteners. My skill at changing the oil filter will probably improve, but it's a messy job and requires handling, disassembling, and reassembling oily parts. There are two oily gaskets to remove and change as well. Perhaps this is a better design for the engine or the environment, but from a human standpoint give me the old-school, self-contained, disposable filter.

By the way, I am using Hyundai filters purchased from a dealership and Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic oil. Although you are only changing the paper/cardboard material, the OEM filters are about $12. Anyone know why Hyundai switched to the top-loading oil filter?

GeoUSA, moderator

GeoUSA

Getting that 0.02 quart part is going to be really tricky! :-)

I just got an 06, but I got the 4-banger which appears to still use a plain old spin-on filter. Looks like it is accessible from below through a round hole in the splash guard under the engine. I haven't crawled under it yet to see if my hand will actually fit through that hole with a filter in my hand. Probably a filter will fit through the hole and my hand will fit through the hole, but I wouldn't be surprised if my hand with a filter in it will not fit through the hole! :-)

At first blush, it sounded like this top 'o the engine filter might be easier to reach and change, but it doesn't sound that way given the details you've provided here.

I have no idea why they would have used this design. I plan also to use Mobil 1 and was told that filters for my engine were about $10 at the dealer. I believe I can get NAPA gold filters for around $8 and silver for around $5. I'm sure the gold are better than the OEM filters, but not sure about the silvers. The important thing is to avoid Fram and some of the other low-end filters.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I realize there is a lot of stuff on the net about Fram, but there are a lot of us out here who have used Fram for literally decades with no problems. Many of us have driven cars for over 200,000 miles using Fram filters. I'd caution about the hype that's out there.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

It isn't hype. Cut a few open and look for yourself. The difference between a Fram and a quality filter is very obvious, even to the relatively uninitiated. I used Fram for years as well, and they were a great filter many moons ago. They have go downhill a lot in the last 20 years. I had an 89 Acclaim that always had lifter noise for the first few seconds after a cold start. I had used Fram filters since it was new and never made the connection. I was talking to a colleague at work one day and he asked what brand of filter I used. I told him and he said that was the problem. The Fram anti-drainback valve is crap and lets the filter drain if the engine sits idle for more than a couple of hours. Sure enough, I switched to AC filters and no more start-up clatter. The difference was night and day.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Ok - I'll give it a whirl. I'm warning you - I don't like my old habits messed with though. I particularly don't like having to learn something new at my age. Takes too damned much effort.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I hear ya. I was a Fram man for years, until I saw a few cut open and compared to other filters. I now use AC filters when I can get them as they are moderate quality at a decent price. I'll probably use NAPA filters on my new Sonata as I can get them easily and they are in the upper end of the quality range, but not quite as good as Mobil 1 filters, which appear to be among the very best.

Let me know your assessment.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Sounds like something from the 1950's. Is Hyundai going Retro on us?

Reply to
Screwtape III

Napa, Wix and Purolator filters are all highly regarded. Purolator's Pure One filters are generally available for

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I believe that NAPA filters are made by Wix.

I asked the dealer this as they gave me a bright colored copy of this when I took delivery of my new Sonata. They wouldn't say it was any particular brand and, of course, the bulletin said the solution was to use only Hyundai brand filters. However, based on my past experience with Fram filters and their wide availability through Wal-Mart and other such stores, I strongly suspect that Fram was at least part of the genesis of this bulletin.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Here's the TSB:

Bob

If you are sold on Fram filters, consider the Tough Guard. The price may give you pause, but all the necessary upgrades to make this a competitive, useful filter are in these.

Thomas Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Purolator Pure One filters rated #1 in a recent test. I used to be a Fram man myself until a number of years ago. I only use either Mann (German) or Purolator Pure One filters now.

Many manufacturers are reverting to the cartridge element as it's more environmentally friendly. The European's, especially Volvo, initiated this move several years ago.

Reply to
w9cw

How is it more environmentally friendly?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Two reasons:

  1. No metal can (yeah, I know, it's not much metal) to be discarded into a landfill.
  2. No metal can holding sometimes upwards of 3/4 of a quart of oil to be discarded into a landfill only to release it's contents into the groundwater, after the can gets rusted thru.

Yeah, you can poke a hole into it, and drain it out, but most DIY'ers don't. Oil change (drain plug manglers) places poke and squish 'em. Another cool thing about the new filters is that you can see what goodies are being trapped by the filter - chunks and or particles.

Also, at least in Hyundai's case, it's one more thing that you can only get from the dealer (for a while).

Reply to
Bob