2006 Sonata V-6 Paint Problem

Page 1 of 2
I have a 2006 Sonata V-6, bought last May, color crystal silver. the paint is "bubbling" inside the 4 doors, under the hood and under the trunk. The
bubbles are soft, like if the paint didn't dry. The bubbles are located inside the doors, near the trim where the sheet steel is folded and welded. My hyundai dealer said "no problem, we will fix it" but I just don't want a brand new car been sanded and re-painted.
Anybody experienced this? What should I do, as I don't want it to be re-painted?
Thanks for advices
Shaman

You don't want the paint, yet you don't want it repainted. What is your suggestion for a fix? They sure as hell will not be giving you a new car.
While factory paint is usually pretty good compared to the corner body shop, there are many shops with sophisticated equipment for spraying, ovens for drying that will out do just about any factory. Find out who is going to do the work and check them out.

As long as it costs me 0$, there is no big deal. I do not expect a new car, but maybe some kind of "gift". But my basic question is "does anybody experienced the same problems with their new Sonata V6 2006 color crystal silver"?
Shaman

No that's funny.
Well, you found this normal? A brand new car, about near 30000$, with taxes... I know sometimes shit happens, and I know it's not a 70000$ car, but can we expect some quality in what we buy? What about the quality control guys at this Hyundai plant? And, if I am not mistaken, this is a new pplant, in Alabama, USA, not in Mexico where we can expect this kind of "cheap labor problems"
Shaman

No, I did not say it is normal. I do expect that they would fix it. What is funny to me is that you expect a gift of some sort. Poor quality can come from any plant and while it should not happen, it does. Reputable companies make good.
I bought a Hyundai (pick it up tonight) because of my problems with a Buick that costs considerably more. I started being dissatisfied when the front seat heater went out and it was less than 3 years, but more than 36k so they wanted $576 to fix it. Then it was the transmission, two power windows, cruise control switch, coupled with rotors, wheel bearing, sensors and little stuff like that.

welded.
Why not? Getting it painted is every bit as good as the factory paint job. I do agree that you should not be experiencing this problem on a new car, but things do happen.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Do you have any documentation that you reported this before the end of warranty? If so, you have a very good case. I've had warranty work done twice when something was reported, but not fixed, under the normal terms. This was a case of the dealer not being able to find the problem until later.
Well apparently the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty does not cover paint, at least in Canada it doesn't. 3 years on paint defect. I did not know that, since 5 year b to b warranty means just that to me... everything from ground up is covered, aside of coarse brakes and the like. And this all happened just around the 5 year mark. Don't know if it was documented by the dealership, and anyways, I have the written statements from a body shop and some co-workers confirming no primer on handles. Regardless of the age of the car, paint should not bubble and flake off while it is still relatively new. Still nothing from Hyundai. Nada. Hyundai refuses to cover their fuck up from the factory. Like I said, never again will I entertain the idea of purchasing another vehicle from them. The dealership even knew I replace my cars every 5 years.

on
< Hyundai refuses to cover their fuck

my
The part that surprises me the most about this is that the dealership won't do it for free for a good return customer. Or - are you saying that you buy new cars every five years, but don't have a history with this dealer? Seems to me that any dealer who knew you as a 5 year return customer would gladly eat the hundred bucks necessary to cover the work.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

This is my first Hyundai. The dealership owner owns other dealerships and knows I've bought from him before. Plus a relative does allot of business with him also. Regardless, Documented proof that their is no primer on the handles very well indicate that this is a factory fuck up. I don't care who covers the cost, which is more than a hundred bucks, to do it properly the door interior trim panels have to come off so that the handles and door locks can be removed from the door to properly paint them. Its how the whole situation was handled from Hyundai to the dealership.
Our dealer has had many Sonatas returned for peeling paint & all have been repainted at no cost to them. They got free rentals too! This is a great dealer!!!! N Olmsted OH
Mike Marlow wrote:

My dealer told me that this is not a "problem", this is absolutely normal as they put "silicone" (??) to prevent water infiltration. It is not supposed to be the paint bubbling, but the "silicone" joint that we see. here is the pic:
http://server4.pictiger.com/img/591212/cars-and-motors/img-0538-2.php
As I said in a previous post, I will show this to an independent body shop expert and go back to my hyundai dealer with the report. I took lot of pics, and asjked Hyundai to track this in their system too.
Shaman

Yes, the bumper to bumper covers most everything, but they probably figure the paint is outside the bumpers and not covered :)
Mike Marlow wrote:

I've seen few paint shops, other than very expensive custom car shops, that can match the quality of todays factory paint. And no matter how good, it is hard to match the color exactly given the weathering that has occurred already. And silver is particularly hard to match.
Matt

I've shot many gallons of paint Matt, today's paints do indeed match the quality of the factory paint. Hell, almost anyone can shoot a paint that will bubble off - that's a pretty good replication of the factory quality. Seriously though - today's base and clear urethanes produce a paint job that is every bit as good as what comes from the factory. Custom car shops typically use the same paint systems as the shop down the road, unless they are doing something unique like a restoration, and in the name of the restoration they are using period paints.
Matching color is a matter of technique and product choice. There are products out there by manufacturers which specialize in precise color matches and they are very good matches. Nothing makes an absolutely perfect match owing to variations in formulas (both at the factory and in the aftermarket), and other factors, but the variations are quite minimal. Blending takes care of this and results in a paint job that well matches the factory paint.
Most of us know that the re-paint occured, and we "can see" it forever in our minds. What we don't notice is that you can see variations in the factory paint across the car. Those variations we accept because that's the way the car came. The re-painted area bugs us simply because we know it's there and we become convinced it's not the same as the rest of the car.
Then of course, there's bad paint jobs...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I shot a few gallons in my younger days as well. However, and my wife can verify this, I can walk around a car and tell you with almost 100% accuracy if it has been repainted in whole or in part. It is hard to say for sure why, I can just tell.
Matt
Let's see: color match, orangepeel, tape lines, shiny areas that were formerly dull, etc. I see many cars that were repaired. On most, it's not obvious unless you're looking. But if you're looking, you can almost always tell.
As far as the paint being the same quality as the (properly done) factory job, I don't buy that, either. In general, factory paint jobs apply a much thicker coat and use better adherence methods than a body shop can attain. That's not to say that you can't get a very good paint job, just that it won't be the same as factory.
hyundaitech wrote:

I guess it is just in my blood to always be looking. :-) I can usually tell when a car has been repainted when I'm 30 feet away. Occasionally I have to get closer and look for the signs you mention above. However, the depth of the paint often just doesn't look the same as a factory paint application. I can't explain it, it just looks different.

And many factory paint shops use electrostatic added paint application which helps get paint in the nooks and crannies much better than most aftermarket paint shops. There are probably some that use such techniques, but I haven't come across one locally yet. And many car makers use painting robots extensively. Few humans can match the consistency of a robot for things like paint application, welding and adhesive application. Some of the top custom painters and pinstripers can, but not the average painter you find in middle America. Even most custom painters depend on finish sanding, polishing and buffing to get a shine that most factories get from the application alone.
Watch some of the custom car building shows on TV. They generally sand off half of the paint they apply.
Matt