2006 Sonata V-6 Paint Problem

Page 2 of 2
In the auto factory that I worked in, we had a robot that buffed the vehicle after final paint. It used some pretty abrasive compounds to get the final
clear finish.

razz wrote:

Which factory was that? I don't think I've ever seen any post finishing in a modern auto plant, at least other than on a rework line.
Matt

Matt,
It's not hard to beat factory paint these days. Factories are at a huge disadvantage to small body shops. The factories must worry about cost, weight, and emissions. You usually end up with a much thicker, more durable paint job than factory. With modern paints, it's all in the prep. A new car with no damage should be a snap to do a great prep job.
I'm just wondering if a couple of more coats of clearcoat wouldn't pay you dividends on any new car these days. -
Bob
That's my point. I know sometimes shit happens, but on a brand new car... How come the guys at the plant have done this? And what about Quality Control??
Shaman

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:54:13 -0400, "Shaman"

The car makers are really up against it. If weight and emissions were no problem, the paint would doubtless be better. It's super expensive to paint cars, even at the factory. Paint must be an expensive, low emission type, maybe even water-based. Every little bit of paint must be controlled and disposed of in a very expensive manner. Waste paint disposal is probably more costly than the paint itself.
Small shops don't fall under the same restrictions. They can use more volatile and dangerous types of paint, and their cleanup is not monitored in most areas. -
Bob
Well, in fact, I know you are right, but this is not My problem, it's THEIR! My problem is that I have a brand new near 30K$ car, 4 months old, and already have paint problems. My dealer wants to show this to the Hyundai representative. I'll keep you guys in touch with this issue.
What I'll do, I will take lot of pictures of it, and go see 2 independent body shop experts for examination. I think you're right, bad surface preparation, or no primer at all. Mayb a hardener problem? Paint is bubbling, and soft to touch.
Shaman

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:55:24 -0400, "Shaman"

I wasn't excusing Hyundai at all. I was just saying how difficult it is to maintain paint quality with all the government regulations.
I was also saying that a new paint job would be better than the original, because small body shops don't have all the regulations. -
Bob

knocked the paint right off the hood right down to the bare metal . I have pics of this. I couldn't see any primer.
Bloozefan wrote:

Did you look at the paint layers with a loupe? It isn't unusual on modern cars for the paint to come off en masse. My minivan took a rock to the hood last winter and this happened as well. A chip about the size of a pencil eraser came off cleanly down to bare metal which of course began to rust immediately. It had primer, but you had too look at the exposed edge of the paint very carefully to see it.
Matt
If you want to place the blame for the thin paint check the VOC requirements the gov't passed. It's like a lot of things we are getting done to "protect" us.

Shaman wrote:

I sure hope those are Canadian dollars!
Matt
yes, iti s! ;-)
Shaman

Shaman wrote:

There is no choice if you want it fixed. This is very likely caused by surface contamination that was cleaned off prior to painting. It has prevented the paint from adhering properly. The only fix is to sand to bare metal and repaint. Yes, I always hate to have the paint touched on a new car also as it never looks quite the same.
Matt
My dealer wants to show this problem to the Hyundai representative. Now, I am asking: paint problems, what's next??!!??
I'll keep you in touch with this issue.
Shaman

This is good! The dealer should be fighting Hyundai to satisfy his customer. I will be a 3 time owner if I trade in my 2002, but the 2007 Sante Fe looks like a Dodge Ram Truck with its blown out front. It is wider than my 2002 so I fear it won't fit in our 1940 garage. But I love my Sante Fe, I take very good care of him, 2006 Sante Fes are SOLD OUT at my Dealer & none to trade for. So that $8,000 credit is gone. So husband agrees we wait til 2008 to see what they put out there.
Shaman wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:31:25 -0400, "Shaman"

I have read all the posts below...and I agree with you. Obviously it should be fixed at no charge...and any good dealer (or the company itself) would throw in a "present", be it some future free service or something. I currently own two Hyundai Elantra GTs (03 & 05) and am very happy with both cars. I will be buying one for my son soon too. I have had zero problems with either car, however, it seems to be a fairly common known fact that the paint on Hyundais is a weak point. Not like yours, but just very thin and very easy to scratch. It gets touched it leaves a mark and I also find this to be true. Don't sour on Hyundais just for this IF they take care of you properly. Good luck.
jtees4 wrote:

I'm noticing that on my Sonata as well. I waxed the car a couple of weeks ago for the first time and was amazed at the number of scratches in the paint. And the front of the rear fencers and the rocker panels are just blasted from stones from the tires. My Sonata has worse looking paint after 8 months than my Chevy truck does after 13 years ... and that is not an exaggeration! I'll take pictures and post if anyone wants to see them.
I put mud flaps on my Sonata shortly after I bought it, but they are too short of be of much help. They protect at most the front half of the rocker panels. My truck mudlfaps are much more effective, but the paint also seems a lot more durable.
Matt
Thanks, jtees4, my Hyundai dealer want me to meet the Hyundai representative. It's looking good for an agreement, but, like I said, an extra "something" would be pleased. As I said, i'll keep you in touch with all this.
Shaman