2006 Sonata V-6 Paint Problem

Well, in fact, I know you are right, but this is not My problem, it's THEIR! My problem is that I have a brand new near 30K$ car, 4 months old, and already have paint problems. My dealer wants to show this to the Hyundai representative. I'll keep you guys in touch with this issue.

What I'll do, I will take lot of pictures of it, and go see 2 independent body shop experts for examination. I think you're right, bad surface preparation, or no primer at all. Maybé a hardener problem? Paint is bubbling, and soft to touch.

Shaman

"Bob Adkins" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Shaman

My dealer wants to show this problem to the Hyundai representative. Now, I am asking: paint problems, what's next??!!??

I'll keep you in touch with this issue.

Shaman

"Matt Whit>> I have a 2006 Sonata V-6, bought last May, color crystal silver. the

Reply to
Shaman

I have read all the posts below...and I agree with you. Obviously it should be fixed at no charge...and any good dealer (or the company itself) would throw in a "present", be it some future free service or something. I currently own two Hyundai Elantra GTs (03 & 05) and am very happy with both cars. I will be buying one for my son soon too. I have had zero problems with either car, however, it seems to be a fairly common known fact that the paint on Hyundais is a weak point. Not like yours, but just very thin and very easy to scratch. It gets touched it leaves a mark and I also find this to be true. Don't sour on Hyundais just for this IF they take care of you properly. Good luck.

Reply to
jtees4

I wasn't excusing Hyundai at all. I was just saying how difficult it is to maintain paint quality with all the government regulations.

I was also saying that a new paint job would be better than the original, because small body shops don't have all the regulations. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

I sure hope those are Canadian dollars!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I'm noticing that on my Sonata as well. I waxed the car a couple of weeks ago for the first time and was amazed at the number of scratches in the paint. And the front of the rear fencers and the rocker panels are just blasted from stones from the tires. My Sonata has worse looking paint after 8 months than my Chevy truck does after 13 years ... and that is not an exaggeration! I'll take pictures and post if anyone wants to see them.

I put mud flaps on my Sonata shortly after I bought it, but they are too short of be of much help. They protect at most the front half of the rocker panels. My truck mudlfaps are much more effective, but the paint also seems a lot more durable.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Thanks, jtees4, my Hyundai dealer want me to meet the Hyundai representative. It's looking good for an agreement, but, like I said, an extra "something" would be pleased. As I said, i'll keep you in touch with all this.

Shaman

"jtees4" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Shaman

yes, iti s! ;-)

Shaman

"Matt Whit>> Well, in fact, I know you are right, but this is not My problem, it's

Reply to
Shaman

What primer? I hit a deer in May 06 in 06 sonata gls head on. It knocked the paint right off the hood right down to the bare metal . I have pics of this. I couldn't see any primer.

Reply to
Bloozefan

Did you look at the paint layers with a loupe? It isn't unusual on modern cars for the paint to come off en masse. My minivan took a rock to the hood last winter and this happened as well. A chip about the size of a pencil eraser came off cleanly down to bare metal which of course began to rust immediately. It had primer, but you had too look at the exposed edge of the paint very carefully to see it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
nothermark

Let's see: color match, orangepeel, tape lines, shiny areas that were formerly dull, etc. I see many cars that were repaired. On most, it's not obvious unless you're looking. But if you're looking, you can almost always tell.

As far as the paint being the same quality as the (properly done) factory job, I don't buy that, either. In general, factory paint jobs apply a much thicker coat and use better adherence methods than a body shop can attain. That's not to say that you can't get a very good paint job, just that it won't be the same as factory.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I guess it is just in my blood to always be looking. :-) I can usually tell when a car has been repainted when I'm 30 feet away. Occasionally I have to get closer and look for the signs you mention above. However, the depth of the paint often just doesn't look the same as a factory paint application. I can't explain it, it just looks different.

And many factory paint shops use electrostatic added paint application which helps get paint in the nooks and crannies much better than most aftermarket paint shops. There are probably some that use such techniques, but I haven't come across one locally yet. And many car makers use painting robots extensively. Few humans can match the consistency of a robot for things like paint application, welding and adhesive application. Some of the top custom painters and pinstripers can, but not the average painter you find in middle America. Even most custom painters depend on finish sanding, polishing and buffing to get a shine that most factories get from the application alone.

Watch some of the custom car building shows on TV. They generally sand off half of the paint they apply.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
razz

Which factory was that? I don't think I've ever seen any post finishing in a modern auto plant, at least other than on a rework line.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

This is good! The dealer should be fighting Hyundai to satisfy his customer. I will be a 3 time owner if I trade in my 2002, but the 2007 Sante Fe looks like a Dodge Ram Truck with its blown out front. It is wider than my 2002 so I fear it won't fit in our 1940 garage. But I love my Sante Fe, I take very good care of him, 2006 Sante Fes are SOLD OUT at my Dealer & none to trade for. So that $8,000 credit is gone. So husband agrees we wait til 2008 to see what they put out there.

Shaman wrote:

Reply to
The Awesome 1

Our dealer has had many Sonatas returned for peeling paint & all have been repainted at no cost to them. They got free rentals too! This is a great dealer!!!! N Olmsted OH

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
The Awesome 1

My dealer told me that this is not a "problem", this is absolutely normal as they put "silicone" (??) to prevent water infiltration. It is not supposed to be the paint bubbling, but the "silicone" joint that we see. here is the pic:

As I said in a previous post, I will show this to an independent body shop expert and go back to my hyundai dealer with the report. I took lot of pics, and asjked Hyundai to track this in their system too.

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman