2007 Hyndai Elantra SE

What is supposed to happen on the 07 Elantra SE when the lock button is pressed twice on the remote key fob? The doors do lock, but there's neither
a "chirp" (which the quick guide says there should be) nor do the hazard lights flash (which the owners manual says should happen). It's a bit frustrating when you get told two different things, and neither happens. The hazards do flash twice when the unlock button is pressed, it's the lock button that's messed up. I'm going to bring it back to the dealer next Saturday, but I want to know what I should expect. Thanks.

I have a 2003 Elantra GLS and when I lock it using the remote the parking/hazard lights flash once, but there is no sound. If you lock the car with the remote and then unlock it with the key it should set off the alarm - you could try that to see if the alarm is being set. In any case you should be a getting a flash from the hazard lights as a visual confirmation - sounds like you need some "warranty service". Hope this helps.
I just tried to set off the alarm by opening the door with the key, and nothing happened, so it does sound as if the alarm isn't setting. Looks like the car is going in on Monday morning. What a disappointment -- the car will be in the shop before my check has even cleared. I'll be mentioning that to the salesman and reminding him that I haven't done his evaluation yet.

Opening the car with a key should not set off an alarm. That would be dumb. Leave a window open, then reach in and open the door with no key and see if that sets the alarm off.
As for evaluating the salesman, did he build the car? I don't understand the relationship between how he handled the sale and a possible error made at the factory.
I'm upset at the salesman because he told me that the car had been fully inspected just before I signed the papers. I even test-drove it before signing, since it was not the car I had test-driven before, but I did not turn the car off and lock it because the guy was standing right there to take it to be washed (as I said before, the disarming double-flash is working, which I saw at the dealership when I opened the doors to test-drive it). Maybe it was my mistake not to check that alarm armed properly, but I still think that the dealership should deliver a car in a fully-operable condition. I have spoken to the salesman and he said he would talk to his general manager about how to compensate me. So, let's see what they say on Monday.

The salesman my have used the valet switch under the dash to de-activate the alarm and never re-activated it.
I'll ask on Monday. I don't see anything in the manual about that.

test-drive
on
How they will compensate you? Geeze - that's too much. For cripe's sake, it's a user option. Just make it work the way you want and quit making so much out of such a little thing. I can't wait to hear you cry the day you get a flat tire.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

that
and
Customer satisfaction died when customers became so demanding about what they are "owed", and found ways to make everything a dramatic impact on their lives. I suppose you could call the dealer's service department and let them tell you what to do, or probably a few other ideas that wouldn't present such a hardship on your life but those would not satisfy your sense that the dealer owes you something. Best of luck. I suspect nothing this dealer does is going to be satisfactory to you and before this is over you will be telling us that Hyundai corporation owes you something.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Actually, you don't HAVE to do it that way, you CHOSE to do so.
The alarm chirp is not a critical part of the operations of the vehicle. It can be fixed at any time you choose while still under warranty. You can schedule it for a holiday from work and plan a shopping trip or lunch around it. Or whatever you'd rather do. Your choice, your decision.
I've never read a warranty that will compensate you for your time. Most specifically state they will not. I'd wait until there was some other reason to go back to the dealer, but that is me, you can make your own priorities.
Locking doors is silly anyway. It invites damage when the would be thief breaks windows and pries things open. The real pro is going to get your car no matter what you do.
I cannot imagine what you'd do if you bought a car back in the 1950's. It was common to have a list of 10 to 15 items for the dealer to correct. Fortunately, they don't build 'em the way they used to.

Most cars are tested. They are tested and checked out by the prep crew, not the salesman. They have a check sheet and assured him it was in perfect condition. I don't know of a car salesman that has ever done more than open the door and let you in. That is his job. Dealer prep is done in the service department.
FWIW, my Sonata does not make any noise when the alarm is set either. I like that.
It may be dumb, but that's the way it works. My wife locks the car with her remote, I open it with a key--- alarms big time.
--

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message news:QsI5h.5182

> Opening the car with a key should not set off an alarm. That would be

If it was not so late, I'd go try my car to see if it works that way. Sure seems dumb to me. What happens if the batter in the key fob dies? Or hundreds of other possible reasons to open the door with the key?
I'll give mine a try in the morning.

Tried my Sonata, twice, It did not set off the alarm. It only opened the driver's door.

Just tried my Mother-in-laws 2006 Elantra and it DID alarm with the key, but my 2006 Sonata and our 2007 Entourage DID NOT alarm with the key. Go figure.
Eric

I double-checked this morning and confirmed that the alarm does indeed sound when I open the door after locking with the remote and then unlocking with the key. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but since other posters observe the same behavior on their Elantra's it seems to be either a design choice or a widespread bug.

Thinking about it, as a security setup it may make a little sense. If someone gets a key made or otherwise pops the lock, the alarm is still active. I don't know if that is better than the present setup. In my case, I don't recall using the key to enter the door or the truck on either of my cars since I've owned ones with keyless entry, about 10 years.
A missing contact pad under the hood was the problem; they replaced it this morning. The dealership was very nice and special-ordered a set of floor mats for me to make up for the inconvenience. Well done for them.

Thanks for posting the solution. I looked at one today with the same issue. Hopefully, it's not a large trend.