2007 Santa Fe - Multiple electrical problems

My wife has a 2007 Santa Fe that we bought when it was one year old. If we had bought this new, I believe it would qualify for the Lemon Law.

The temp gauge on the in-dash A/C control is way off. Someone pointed out a fix for that on this site:

The passenger airbag light is on all the time. We were told that would cost $300 to fix. From what I've read, it's a hit-or-miss proposition, in getting it fixed. In other words, what they try on the first fix, might not do it.

And now the car security alarm goes off for no reason.

That's why I'm writing here today; is there some way to disable that permanently?

What she has found is, if she locks the door or doors, with the manual lock before getting out, it does not go off. But, if she pushed the electronic button, on the panel that also controls the windows, the vehicle alarm will at some point go off by itself within the next few hours. I had an experience with it one day where I had her car, without the key fob, and when I tried to unlock the door with my key, it went off. I had to get in, start the car, and then turn it off. Or it would do weird things like, go off again right after I turned the car off. I'd try different things; shut/open the door... put the car in neutral. Different things would work, sometime, but it just took about 15 minutes of messing with it before it finally staid off, that day.

This thing is a piece of junk! But that's another story. I'm just hoping there's someway to disable the security alarm on it. Thanks.

Reply to
JohnB

I'd just not push that button.

OTOH, I never lock my doors anyway. It is an invitation for damage and does nothing to deter a real car thief.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Gee, it's realyl unfortunate that you are having such difficulties with your2007 Santa Fe. I have two '07 SF's and I know of two others with the same and we all are extremely satisfied with the quality and performance of this vehicle.

Even if you purchased it used, shouldn't the warranty be transferrable? And you must still be within the warranty period. If so why don't you bring it into a dealer and complain about your issues. Even if its beyond the warranty period I'd bring it in and explain your dissatisfaction with the service mgr. Hyundai still would like satisfied owners and mybe they would be willing to work something out? Also, locate your area's factory rep and share your story. If you don't ask the answer is already NO!

I hope you get this resolved because you are missing out on a great overall vehicle.

Good luck.

Reply to
bobmct

Have someone check the grounds in the car, Usually when multiple items turn up you should look for something that is common to all of them and that would be a poor ground !

Striker

Reply to
Striker

I've wondered about the ground also. We have had to replace headlight bulbs 3 times now. And I used that goop that's supposed to insulate the connection from moisture. Still blew a bulb about 6 months later.

Reply to
JohnB

I think the warranty was good for 60,000 miles. Which she went over a few months ago. The list of things that were replaced before the warranty ran out is shocking:

- both front struts (rattling sound)

- sub frame (under engine)

- automatic transmission

- rear-hatch latch mechanism Some other front-end parts that I don't remember the name of, that were related to a rattling noise. I've crawled under the front end, almost everything under there is brand new.

I'll take your suggestion. I'm going to document everything that has been done to it and, everything that needs to be done. And bring it into the dealer. Thanks.

Reply to
JohnB

So just leave it unlocked? Thanks but I'll pass on that suggestion. The insurance company might have an issue with that.

Reply to
JohnB

"JohnB" wrote

Your choice. I've not locked a car in decades. Twice I've had someone enter my car. Once they took a quart of oil left in the back seat, the second time they just left some of the stuff from the glove box on the floor. Total losses: $1. Not bad over 48 years of car ownership.

Cars parked in front and back of me had broken windows, scratched door jambs, a convertible top was slashed for a pair of cheap sunglasses. A friend had her locked and alarmed Bonneville stolen while parked 25 feet from her business in broad daylight. My way seems to be working better than your way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I understand your point about the damage. How will your insurance company feel about "your way", when your car is stolen, because it was not locked?

Reply to
JohnB
********************************************* How will they know? It would be covered anyway. Nothing in the policy says the car must be locked. Locking the doors keeps the 10 years olds out, but by 12, the ones that want to steal you car will know how, even with the alarm set.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This reminds me of my father-in-law. We went to the local K-Mart in his car. We got out and I noticed he left the keys in the ignition. I told him he should get his keys. He replied, "what if someone needs to move it?" Of course, he's from farmland and I'm a city boy. But the problem is we were IN the city. I went back to the car and took the keys out myself. : )

Reply to
Brian Matthews

"Brian Matthews" wrote

I do know a few people that do that at time too. At home in a rural area, maybe, but never in the city. One other benefit of my method, you never lock your keys in the car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Question is why the grounds went bad. I can think of two reasons maybe three reasons. One, a bad crash and not well done repair. Second:Immersion in water(which was what first occured to me). Third, exposure to salty air(but, there would be other visible cues for this one(still possible)). But, yeah, check the grounds for corrosion, especially, at the battery posts. You may also have some broken grounds in the dash itself. Rats can and do eat on wiring.

Reply to
tim

Apparently this problem with the alarm, and the airbag issue, is very common:

Poor design, followed by poor service at the dealers. My wife called the local Hyundai dealer yesterday when the alarm went off in the parking lot at work, they said it was a quick fix, and would only cost $10. They came out, said it turns out it isn't a quick fix, did nothing, and said she "could bring it in, and for $98 they would look at it", and then tell us how much it will really cost to fix it. I'm not impressed with Hyundai vehicles, or the dealerships.

Reply to
JohnB

"JohnB" wrote

I stopped driving Buicks after my local dealer charge me $70 to tell me it would cost $675 to rep lace what should be, IMO, a $15 part. and the car had a year to go on the calendar warranty, but I was 3000 miles over the 36k allowed. That got me to the Hyundai dealer and both Sonatas have been perfect so far.

I'm assuming you are now out of warranty. I realize the dealer has to make a profit, but they may lose you as a customer rather than make even more money on the next car you buy from them. Seems like some would rather risk pissing off the customer.

If you can show it is a "know problem" perhaps you can go to the district manager for help.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The issue with the alarm is likely to be a problem with the hood switch, or one of the door switches. It's pretty simple to check this. Roll down all your windows, shut the hood, and lock the vehicle with the remote. Go around to each door and grasp it at the window sill and pull outward. Similarly, grab the front edge of the hood and lift slightly. If any of these causes the alarm to sound, it's likely the switch in question is causing the alarm to sound. In the case of the door switches, it's likely an issue with the adjustment of the door or a dimple in the metal of the door contacted by the switch plunger. In the case of the hood, it may be a faulty switch in the hood latch assembly. You can bypass the hood switch simply by unplugging it. Of course, if it indeed isn't simply, you can do as has already been suggested and simply lock the door manually. The alarm is integral into the Body Control Module and cannot be deactivated.

The issue with your air bag lamp could be any problem with the air bag system. I can recall no instances on '07 and newer Santa Fes where the same air bag issue continually reoccurred.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I'm answering this for the 2nd time - hope it takes this time. I had read about the hood latch sensor after my first post. Tried that, worked great - for 2 days. Strange. But not surprising, for this vehicle. I mentioned to my wife the suggestion about locking the doors manually and tugging on each door to see it if would set off the alarm. She said the Hyundai dealership had tried that. Didn't go off. The problem with locking all doors manually; the rear hatch can't be locked manually. Not good, especially this time of year, with Christmas gifts in there. Your description of the air bag issue sounds very similar to the alarm problem, in that there's no consistent fix. It could be many things. In our case it "was" the hood latch, but it is not the doors. The one thing I do know; we will never buy another Hyundai. My wife is disgusted with this thing. I know every brand has lemons. But as far as she's concerned, Hyundai makes the worst vehicles on the planet.

Reply to
JohnB

"JohnB" wrote

I'll swap you my Buick for it. I got tired of the problems with Buicks and switched to Hyundai. On my second one and I'm very happy with zero problems so far.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy.

Reply to