2007 Sonota

Subject: 2007 Sonota Date: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 12:32 AM
I have a 2007 sonota 6 cyl.. Can any one tell me how to activate the speed sensing auto door locks?
Do I have to go back to the dealer? TIA, Irwin Opper
Yup. You back to the dealer, and pay your $78.00 - or whatever they get for the one hour minimun for hooking up the ScamTool for a couple minutes. Most other vehicles - Dodge Caravan, for example - allow the user to change the status by doing some sequence of ignition switch / door lock button a couple of times. Why they leave this off at the factory, one can only guess.

That sucks. To get a better "value" for the hours, have the service do some other job while you are there. Get your hubcaps dusted or something. Maybe during an oil change they'd toss it in free? Nah, that would just make for a happy customer.
In a high speed accident does it make sense to have the doors locked? In case of fire and incapacitated occupants what does a bystander do to help? Best, Seamus J. Wilson
wrote in message

If the accident is that bad, there will be no glass blocking access to the lock mechanism. Nor will they open anyway once the frame is bent into the door. Emergency personnel carry a tool to break the glass if it is not broken. One smack does it.
Supposedly, the locks help keep the door closed to lessen the chances of you getting tossed out.
Honestly, until I had a car that had auto locks, I never locked them. Years ago, we did not have car jacking every day either but there are time I feel a bit more secure at a stoplight knowing the doors are locked. Oh, I rarely have the windows down as I prefer AC over a noisy ride too, but YMMV.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I don't like them and have them disabled on all of my cars. I have other means to deal with a car jacker...
Matt

Never heard of home invasion? You think can't this happen in vehicles? With one wife and two kids in my car, I preffer to keep the doors locked, in case of...
Shaman

With
case
Happiness is a warm .45
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Ho, you are the kind of guy with a "this vehicle is insured against theft by Smith And Wesson" bumper sticker!! ;-)
But seriously... those guys (I never heard of "car invasion" in the area where I live) are really fasts, and well equiped...
Shaman
Shaman

by
Yeuch - no way man. I don't put bumper stickers on any of my vehicles.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Shaman wrote:

Faster than a speeding bullet? I doubt it. :-)
Matt

I agree, you aren't. Good chance the gun is to your heat when the door is yanked open and you would not have a chance to reach for yours.
Just the other day near Hartford, there was a guy that jacked and wrecked five cars before finally getting stopped. Seems as though the last one he picked has a 100+ pound Rotweiller in the back seat.
It is not an every day concern for me, but there are times I travel to a city with less than desirable streets and automatic or not, the doors would be locked.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Locking the doors only gives a false sense of security. Hey, if it works for you that is fine with me. Personally, I know of much better techniques.
Matt

Locking doors is only a portion of what should and can be done. You evidently are not aware of how many handbags have been snatched at traffic lights because an unlocked door was just opened. Or how many people have been yanked from their car. Obviously, it will not keep a pro or desperate criminal from doing harm, but it is sure silly to not take minimal precautions when driving in some areas. Where I live, probably same as your area, I don't worry, but I do in downtown big city anyplace.
You probably don't walk down the street with your money in hand for all to see and easily snatch. Why leave yourself and anything that may be in your car that vulnerable too?
Oh, and locking your car when parked is silly. That just lets the amateur to break in and do damage to steal nothing of value. The pro will steal your car at will, locked and alarmed.

Sure not, but unless you drive with your gun between your teeth.
I don't know if you know Lucky Luke in your place down south, but unless you pull the trigger as fast as him, maybe be the car jacker will be faster than you.
Anyway, keeping the car's doors locked while driving is just a basic security element.
Shaman
Shaman
Shaman wrote:

You don't know much about self-defense. A locked car is no defense against a crook with a gun. It isn't hard to shoot out a window. There are much better defensive techniques than locking your car. Read some of Massad Ayoob's work or others in the field.
Matt

My best bet to get away from those car jackers is press on the right pedal, with both hands on the steering wheel... With the doors locked!! ;-)
Shaman
Shaman wrote:

Yes, I have heard of both and my response to both is the same. The invader will soon be reaching room temperature.
Matt

Oh... how about... maybe - break out a window. Now there's a thought.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

If I'm not mistaken, there's a crash output from the SRSCM to the BCM on many cars that causes the power locks to unlock if the airbag is triggered.
Bob wrote:

Yes, Chrysler has long been a technology leader in the electrical/electronics area. They also let you display the scan codes on the MIL by using a ignition key on-off-on-off-on sequence. Then count the flashes and look up the code. Very neat. I can also do this on my Chevy truck, but it requires using a paper clip bent open to short two terminals on the scan connector. Effective, but not nearly as elegant as Chryslers solution.
If Chryslers manufacturing competency was as good as its engineering, Toyota would have some competition. I still think Chryslers are some of the best engineered cars on the market, they just aren't always the best made cars.
Hyundai may have a similar feature, but I have yet to have the check engine light come on so I've had no need to find out yet.
Matt