2007 Tuscon Mileage

"Tom" wrote in news:mDAli.26729$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

The only time, IMO, that a 4x4 or truck is better in the snow is when it is deep on the road. I think the last time I needed 4 wheel drive was the blizzard of 1996 here in NJ, when we had 32-36" of snow in 36 hours (and drifts to 7'). It snowed so fast and hard that the plows just gave up. Since I work for a utility, I had to come in to work, albeit for an hour or so. I remember driving through Princeton in my 1984 GMC 4x4 (it was the small truck). The snow was so deep that I was plowing it with the front of my hood.

Other than that type of situation, I can't imagine needing 4 wheel drive in the snow. Unless you lived in an area that didn't get plowed or you plow yourself.

And the other poster was 100% on when they said about the SUV's usually being the one in the ditch during a small snow storm. People don't seem to learn much driving skill any more. The funny thing to me is that it really doesn't take that much to learn how to really drive.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I read two examples in this thread, of memories/examples of cars that didn't get stuck in snow...a Beetle and a Corvair. OK I'll give ya that, but that was over thirty year ago boys, if you are going to give me examples of cars that don't get stuck in snow, then try and keep it in this decade. And Ed said "4WD is better in deep snow, but on a plowed highway, good tires and good driving skills are the better choice." On a plowed highway? That would mean no snow, right? I guess I might have to agree with that, if your premise for the "better choice" is better economy, but I guess I will have to sit at home until the roads are plowed..

If given the choice; I would rather have a Tucson, or Forester, etc over a two wheel drive car because of the increased traction.

Reply to
D&SW

I got stuck in the Philly airport during that blizzard! What a mess....

Reply to
Tom

A "plowed road" will still have some snow cover, generally in the 1 to 3 inch range.

OK, recent cars that don't get stuck in the snow:

  1. Every car I've owned since my 1962 Corvair.

I have never been stuck in snow less than about 4" or so with a 2WD sedan. Fact is, the plows keep the roads in good shape around here so it is unusual to see more than that except under extreme circumstances.

If you live on a farm, five miles from the nearest paved road, you may have some troubles. I live in northeast Connecticut and we get from 48 to 96 inches of snowfall a year. I've yet to be able to drive on any road at any time in the 26 years I've been in this area.

Things may be different where you live, but for most of the northeast portion of the country, and most populous areas in the snowbelt, the need for 4WD is minimal given the response of the snow removal equipment around today. I remember putting chains on cars 40+ years ago but I don't even see them sold around here any more.

If you live on top of a mountain, get the 4WD. If you are in an urban or suburban areas, you'd be hard pressed to truly justify the need. Most of the idiots you see on the evening news are sliding on ice or driving too fast for conditions and no amount of driven wheels would help them get control and stop when needed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

After a heavy snowstorm our ancient AMC Eagle 4WD wagon is the only thing we have that can navigate our long driveway until it is plowed out. (With all wheels driven and good ground clearance, the Eagle charges right through deep snow.)

When new-car shopping we considered a Tuscon but were concerned with the reports of very poor gas mileage, especially with V6 and 4WD. (In fact by some accounts, the Tuscon actually gets a little worse mileage in actual use than our decades-old Eagle with its emissions-strangled, carbureted inline six and old-style 3-speed automatic!) While the Sonata is not an economy car, the mileage is quite acceptable for a vehicle of its type; we get about 22 mpg around town and just shy of

30 mpg on long trips.
Reply to
pdp11tech

You're right, Matt. The computer can only vary the injector timing to a certain % so if the filter is really clogged, you'll end up with a rich mixture. You can see this quite easily if you are behind a diesel car that has been neglected and not had it's air filter changed. It'll smoke like it's at a tractor pull. :o)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I have an '03 Tib and have taken that thru some pretty bad snow storms and it has always felt more sure footed in the snow that my last car an '92 Accord coupe (even when it was new). I would like something with a little more ground clearance for snow weather since the neighborhood roads out to the secondary do not always get plowed in a timely fashion, not to mention the 18" of show and ice that accumulates in the intersection. ;-)

I know I got hung up on it last year.....

Reply to
DaToteman

Why does the oil filter matter so much ?

Also, I'm considering taking the loss ad trading it in for a Jeep Patriot. Any comments ??

I called the dealer and I'll be bringing it in this week, but the salesman started with the " break-in period" . When I questioned how long till I see the rated 28 or so highway, he didn't know.

It is rated for 19/24 with 4WD so don't expect to ever see anything more. Most cars struggle to come within 80% to 85% of the EPS rating. After about 5000 miles on my Sonata, the MPG was up about 2 from when it was new.

As for the Patriot, I rode in one for about 20 miles once. I'd never buy one after that as it was uncomfortable and had a choppy ride. The fellow that bought it dumped in within the first six months he had it.

What you do want to do is be sure everything is working properly. Make a note of the rpm as a given speed and perhaps others here with the same model can compare just to be sure there is no slippage and it is shifting properly.

Hyundai USA also claims 19/24, NOT 27, that's the official EPA rating, just a rating for comparatively purposes.

Also that same figure was printed in big letters in the window sticker of the car he drove off the dealer lot, so the OP cannot claim to be duped, unless he cannot read at all, what does not appears to be the case.

Reply to
DaToteman

Now that I've looked, I'll be getting 3 mpg less than I was :)

The new numbers are really closer to what I have been getting. About time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's what I thought!!! it was impressive for how close it matched. Of course all of the whines will start -- but why does my car get less mpg now!!! it was x when I bought it and now it is y!!! I am going to sue somebody and everybody to pay for this injustice..

;-)

Reply to
DaToteman

Thanks for the great link!