2007 Tuscon Mileage

Page 3 of 3
Steve R. wrote:

A couple of points:
1- K&N lies, period. All you have to have is a basic understanding of filtration and you'll realize that their claims are nonsense (I used to be in the filtration industry). Except for a few out-and-out scam sites, I've rarely seem more misleading or blatantly untrue information posted on a website. Based on that, I won't trust them at all.
2- The military has their own specs for the products they buy and there in not necessarily ANY correlation between products supplied to the military and consumer products from the same company, ANY company.
3- Racing applications are essentially meaningless too, as racing engines only have to survive for the length of a race, or at most between frequent rebuilds. Their main concern is horsepower output, not longevity. That's quite different from an engine that's expected to last well over 100,000 miles without a rebuild in a typical car.
4- Every independent test of air filters I've seen has drawn the same conclusion: K&N filters improve airflow at the cost of a loss of filtration.
As Matt said, it's your call.
Brian and Matt;
Thanks for the information. I will definitely reconsider their use based upon input from you and others. I'm still garnering input from others and I hadn't thought about the 3rd point Brian made.
In all reality, I don't do much "dirt" driving, and yes, the snorkels on both vehicles are higher than normal.
Mileage vs. longevitiy? I plan on keeping this 06 Sonata post-100k.
Steve

It is rated for 19/24 with 4WD so don't expect to ever see anything more. Most cars struggle to come within 80% to 85% of the EPS rating. After about 5000 miles on my Sonata, the MPG was up about 2 from when it was new.
As for the Patriot, I rode in one for about 20 miles once. I'd never buy one after that as it was uncomfortable and had a choppy ride. The fellow that bought it dumped in within the first six months he had it.
What you do want to do is be sure everything is working properly. Make a note of the rpm as a given speed and perhaps others here with the same model can compare just to be sure there is no slippage and it is shifting properly.
I seem to get conflicting reports. The dealer says 24, Hyundai USA says 27 (of course give or take a few.)

Hyundaiusa.com lists the 4FD at 24 highay. Do you have the window sticker?
The best thing to do is go to www.fueleconomy.gov which has all of the new recalculated mpg figures... It matches 24 mpg for my '03 Tib.
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite">Why does the oil filter matter so much ? <BR><BR>Also, I'm considering taking the loss ad trading it in for a Jeep Patriot. Any comments ?? <BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite">&nbsp;&nbsp; I called the dealer and I'll be bringing it in this week, but the salesman started with the " break-in period" . When I questioned how long till I see the rated 28 or so highway, he didn't know. <BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It is rated for 19/24 with 4WD so don't expect to ever see anything more. Most cars struggle to come within 80% to 85% of the EPS rating.&nbsp; After about 5000 miles on my Sonata, the MPG was up about 2 from when it was new. <BR><BR>As for the Patriot, I rode in one for about 20 miles once.&nbsp; I'd never buy one after that as it was uncomfortable and had a choppy ride.&nbsp; The fellow that bought it dumped in within the first six months he had it. <BR><BR>What you do want to do is be sure everything is working properly.&nbsp; Make a note of the rpm as a given speed and perhaps others here with the same model can compare just to be sure there is no slippage and it is shifting properly. <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT face=Verdana>Hyundai USA also claims 19/24, NOT 27, that's the official EPA rating, just a rating for comparatively purposes.<BR><BR>Also that same figure was printed in big letters in the window sticker of the car he drove off the dealer lot, so the OP cannot claim to be duped, unless he cannot read at all, what does not appears to be the case.<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=

Now that I've looked, I'll be getting 3 mpg less than I was :)
The new numbers are really closer to what I have been getting. About time.
That's what I thought!!! it was impressive for how close it matched. Of course all of the whines will start -- but why does my car get less mpg now!!! it was x when I bought it and now it is y!!! I am going to sue somebody and everybody to pay for this injustice..
;-)
DaToteman wrote:

Thanks for the great link!
Many of the Jeep's have absolutely horrible mileage. The Jeep Liberty was really, really bad. My boss had one as a company car and was lucky to get 15 mpg.

Our '07 Tucson with v6 after 5000ish miles got 24-25 steady state cruising on our last trip, far less in stop and go, right now we're averaging around 19 mpg, and that's with the tires inflated +3 lbs and steady feet. It ain't no Toyota. Save money up front, or save it later, it's all a wash it seems.