2008 HYUNDAI ELANTRA SE (CON'T)

Hello all. This new post is actually a continuation of my old post regarding the same problem; however, I do have some new information that I am hoping someone will be able to help me out.
To make a long story short, my car vibrates slightly while idling at a standstill. Does not matter if the clutch is pushed in with my foot on the brake, or if the car is in neutral with the clutch out and my foot on the brake. It still vibrates gently while stopped and idling. Here is the new part. I noticed that without fail and everytime I very lightly tap the gas pedal while this is happening, the vibrating will completely stop. When I let off the gas pedal, the vibrating will continue again in a few seconds. Press the gas pedal again very lightly, vibrating stops. Let off gas pedal, vibrating begins again. Any ideas on if this is normal idling vibration, or should I take it in for a look?
THANKS!

little slow and then the vibration goes away when you add gas and the rpm's go up. Still, if I were you I'd have the dealer (and a trusted mechanic as well) look at it since the car is new and you've also mentioned concerns about the vibration with regard to shifting. Since no one in this NG can hear the problems you're describing we can only speculate about what's going on. JMHO, YMMV <g>

Thanks for the response. The car does not vibrate when I shift. In my first post, I was saying that if I am in neutral and shift to 1st gear to take off, the gentle vibration will completely stop. But thanks for the insight. The car does not seem to have any other problems. I LOVE IT!

After listening a little more closely to this noise, it almost sounds like a "buzzing" noise....not really a vibration. I can't feel anything in the steering wheel, but if I put my head down towards the dash, I can hear a slight rattling/buzzing noise coming from the front of the car. Again, keep in mind as soon as I just touch the gas pedal, it completely goes away. Is this just the noise that the 2.0L engine makes while idling?
THANKS!
On Mon, 12 May 2008 10:50:47 -0700 (PDT), Tracie

sounds more like something resonating in the dash assembly

Well, I took it to the dealer and they told me it was the cooling fan kicking on. They told me that when I step on the gas, the reason the sound goes away is because I am changing the idle speed and circulating the coolant. Does this make sense to anyone? They also told me (if I can remember this right) that the reason the cooling fan comes on (or goes off) is to try to conserve gas. Sound right to you guys?

Forgot to ask....could the idle be set too low? And if so, can this be adjusted since it is not a carbuetor?
My guess is that the engine has a slight vibration at your present idle speed and when you tap on the gas the idle disappears because the recriprocity increases to the point that the engine is "smoothing" out. IMHO the dealer is BSing you about the cooling fan kicking on (does it do this when cold prior to the engine reaching operating temp?) and increasing the coolant flow - this should not cause a vibration unless the fan is out of balance. The cooling fan is cycling on and off only for an engine to be maintain optimum temperature to be most efficient, so although technically the dealer is correct he is still sort of feeding you a line.
I believe there is a throttle stop screw that could be turned in/out to vary the idle and thus eliminate your vibration. HT cold probably confirm or correct me on this. What is your idle speed now according to your tach? Tracie wrote:

JP
It does NOT have this vibration problem when the engine is cold. Only after driving it for about 1/2 hour. I don't know what the idle speed is, but at a complete stop, the RPM's are around 550-600.
Your description makes MUCH more sense to me than the dealerships. THANKS.

Your car is still under warranty, right? Why not take it in to the dealer and get it scanned and fixed?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net