2008 Sonato thoughts.

I am considering a new 2008 Sonata and would like to find out if the EPA figures are close to real world results and what the maintenance costs are
like- i.e. timing belt vs. chain etc.
thanks

With the 3.3 V6, I get real live 24 to 26 mpg with a combination of highway and around town. It has a timing chain so no replacement of belts to worry about. So far, with 27,000 miles, it has only been oil changes. I don't see the maintenance costs any more than any other car.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:50:36 -0500, "DaToteman"

2006-2008 Sonata owners have very few complaints, most of which are niggling. Car owners and buyers are the most critical bunch of people on earth, so I think on balance our opinions are fair and honest.
I have a 2006, which had 2 or 3 TSB's. The 2007-2008 had the bugs worked out, and have been mostly trouble free. Personally, ~24K miles, and it has no squeaks, rattles, or malfunctions. It's a great highway cruiser with excellent power and a quiet smooth ride. Haven't spent a dime on it so far. -
Bob

I have had a fine experience with my '06......Bob, what TSB's are there?? After average to poor service at the dealer, I haven't been back-routine maintenance done elsewhere. 59700 miles now......now I gotta reread the tire thread as mine are getting close!

My V6 had noisy shocks in the rear, and a bad timing chain tensioner spring (Caused the timing chain to make a grinding sound on cold starts)
Both were fixed satisfactorily on the same afternoon. -
Bob
I'm considering a used 06 Sonata since I'm not too thrilled about the new Accord. Most of the used ones are offered as a 6cyl probably from car rentals. I've never owned a 6 because they were harder to fix as a DIY. Is this still the case? I do mostly all the work myself including exhausts and drive shafts and found my sister's 99 Elantra not as easy to work on as my Integra and Accords.

As long as you are talking about transverse-mounted engines, FWD V6 engines will always be a challenge to work on, regardless of make or model. It is one of the prices you have to pay for what is otherwise an excellent set-up.
I also agree that, after having had a couple years to work out the rest of the bugs, that an '08 Sonata, especially with that excellent V6, may be one of the best automotive values out there. (honestly, if you want the four, while it is still fairly impressive, I am more impressed with its cousin, the Kia Optima, though only in the four cylinder version).

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:15:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

I'm with Tom. The V6 Sonata may be the best used car buy on the market, just as it was when new.
It appears that most of the owner maintenance can be done quite easily, save for 1 gnarly spark plug. Looks like much of the engine bay work needs to be done from underneath the car. -
Bob
On our 3rd Sonata, had on '02, '06 and just bought an '08.
I have to agree with Bob's thoughts. The '06s had some bugs, but the quality continues to get better. I notice more power and a better shift program in my SE. Now if they'd just release the Genesis!!!!
--
Steve, 2008 Sonata SE

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rfs/463926931.html

I can't wait to test drive that car. Maybe I should wear a Nomex suit and crash helmet just to make the salesman nervous. :) -
Bob

In America is that wise ? Probably get blown away by a rent a cop with an automatic weapon Best just wander in in shorts and and sandals :)
Thanks for all of the info. Most of my driving is highway and what I really would like to know is how close are the 6 cylinders EPA MPG figures under the new testing methods. As for the maintenance- I recently choked down the 60000 miles service including the timing belt on a 03 Tib.

This summer I drove about 2000 miles from Northern Michigan to Southern Arizona in a Sonata with 4,000 miles at the start. The trip was 99% on freeways and at or slightly above posted speed limits which ranged from 65 in Illinois to 75 in Arizona. I got just under the 30 mpg advertised for a 2007 Sonata -- 29.6 IIRC. Regardless what the 2008's EPA MPG figures are, you could expect the same.

I have an 06 LX. I've been keeping track of the mileage since 1/1 and wanted to get an average for an entire year. Here are the results through 11/30. Total of 19612 miles with average speed of 33 mph. This is a blend of highway and city driving in the suburban Chicago area and interstate travel for business. 26.4 mpg.
Both the 4 and V6 engines in the Sonata (starting in '06) now use timing chains instead of belts - a welcome feature.

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:12:04 -0500, "DaToteman"

I average 27mpg @ 39mph. I think a 39mph average equates to about 70% highway and 30% city. -
Bob
On my first run from my 08 V6 to Tucson and back- 26.
--

You can view individually reported MPG figures at www.fueleconomy.gov as well as the EPA estimates.