2011 Sonata

According to the HyundaiUSA web site, the 2011 Sonata will only have the

2.4L engine available. With a six speed xmission -auto or manual.
Reply to
Partner

A good reason to buy a 2010

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The 2.4 will have a turbo option later in the year.

Reply to
jp103

Wow, keeping in tune with my comment above, I did just that. Bought a new one this afternoon.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Apparently, part of the problem was that only around 10% of the buying public was getting the V6.

Too bad, because that American-built powerplant was a seriously good motor.

I do hope they keep it for other applications.

BTW, I had heard about these new 6-speed transmissions a few years ago, and was wondering if Hyundai was every actually going to get around to using them. Up to now, almost everything, even in the Genesis, had been a

5-speed.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

When I was at the dealer the other day, he was trying to steer me to a 4 ($2000 cheaper) and had a bigger selection on the lot. I like the 6 so I insisted. Quiet, smooth, and trouble free for 66,000 miles. Next owner should get at least that much too.

New mileage regulations will kill them off on a lot of cars though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Very bad idea on their part.

Reply to
Yabahoobs

My understanding is that Hyundai is attempting to improve their CAFE figures. To my knowledge, the Sonata will be offered with three powertrain options-- naturally aspirated, turbo, and hybrid. Purportedly, I'm to receive training next month and should be able to confirm/deny at that time.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I think I am in a minority on this list as I bought a 4 cylinder Sonata with the 5 speed manual. I have been very happy with its power and performance. My only complaint with the power train is with the clutch, not the engine. The clutch is lousy. If Hyundai would hire BMW to design their clutch, then the 4 cylinder would be more than adequate, especially with a 6 speed manual so that first gear could be lower and high gear could be higher.

My 5 speed isn't bad from a ratio selection perspective, but first gear is too tall for the hilly country where I live and the engine turns much faster in 5th than it needs to for highway cruising (I think close to

3,000 at 70 MPH). A lower low and higher high would be nice.

I drove all three combinations when I bought my 06 (4 cyl/5 speed, 4 cyl/automatic, 6 cyl/automatic). The V-6 certainly pulls harder than my

4, but the difference was pretty minor and is offset by the crisper handing of the 4 cylinder due to something like 200 lbs less weight, much of which comes off the front wheels. A turbo 4 would be the cat's pajamas.

A 4 cylinder turbo with a 6 speed manual and a GOOD clutch would smoke the V-6 all day long and still return better fuel mileage when cruising normally.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

I get it will.

The regular 4 is also $2000 less cost than the V-6, the turbo will probably take up a big chunk of that. I've not checked rear end specs, but my '10 cruises at 70 mph and 2000 rpm while the '07 was at 2200 rpm for the same speed. Final drive is 3.33 but I don't recall what it was on the old one. Shift points seem a bit different too. The HP was increase from 234 to 249 too but I've not yet had a chance to wring it out as there are only 250 miles so far. The 4 at 175 is pretty hefty power though.

For comparison, the Malibu is 163 hp and the spare tire and jack are options. All you get is an inflator kit unless you pay $100 extra.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Very bad idea on their part.

My guess is that the V-6 is going to become a luxury only on the really big car. The CAFE standards will do them in. I'd also guess that even the big cars will shrink a few inches and shed a few pounds in order to comply.

To shed both weight and cost, the spare tire is going away. The Chevy Cobalt and Malibu come with a sealant and inflation kit. The spare tire and jack is a $100 option package.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Voyager wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@computer.org:

Not too sure I agree with you on this. They have a modified 4 with a turbo in Korea (an aftermarket job) that just stays neck and neck with the stock

6 off the line. Not sure if it has the stock clutch or not though. If I can find that reference I will post it. I saw it over a year ago.

Can't argue about the mileage though. The 4 will win that one hands down I think. Although C&D recently did a test of large displacement normally aspirated engines in the same car with a smaller displacement turbo and the larger engine usually wound up getting better gas mileage.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

:

As one who owns a Hyundai, but has also owned a SAAB Turbo in the past, I can assure you that a turbocharged 4-cylinder SOHC or DOHC engine can more than keep up with practically any naturally aspirated V6. SAAB was one of the pioneers in turbocharging, and developed the APC (automatic performance control) system which varied the boost based upon the octane of the fuel. If you've ever driven a SAAB Turbo, you know what a properly engineered turbocharged 4-cylinder can do. Have no fear, this should be a good engine.

Reply to
Don Allen

Don Allen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Well, I'm certianly not afraid of the engine, but your point really doesn't make much sense.

V-6: 245HP/230 lb.ft.

4 TURBO - 250 HP/196 lb.ft.

Given that the 4 turbo, all else being equal, will probably weigh a bit less, it might be able to keep up. But usually the gearing will be different, among too make other variables to mention.

Sure, the 4 COULD beat the 6, no question. But again, all thing being equal, the 6 will win this comparo.

And a properly engineered V-6 made by the same manufacturer as the properly engineered 4 turbo, should have a significant difference in HP and tourque.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Sure, it depends on how well they engineer the turbo, but assuming they do it well it isn't hard to get 50% more output and that is about what the difference is between the current 4 and 6. And going beyond 50% isn't much harder if they add an intercooler and some other goodies.

I agree though that the devil is in the details and we haven't yet seen the details. And you still end up with a much lighter package generally as the turbo is much lighter than two more cylinders in an engine. The weight helps performance also, and more than just straight-line performance. My 4 cylinder definitely has crisper handing than does the V-6s that I have rented.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager