2011 Sonata at the dealer

I passed by my dealer today and they have a 2011 Sonata on the lot.

Below is a summary of the styling:

WOW

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I saw it in a commercial last night. It looked pretty fly. They steal away some designers from Mercedes-Benz?

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

I don't know - the overall lines are nice but the windows are so small I get claustrophobia just looking at it. Don't know how bad it'll be on the inside looking out, of course.

Reply to
Eric Blair

I haven't sat in a new Sonata, but I have had several other rental cars with the smaller windows and it doesn't get better on the inside. I hope this styling fad is short-lived.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

"Voyager" wrote

It is supposedly needed for the extra support now required for side impact testing. Less glass = more steel support. I strongly dislike the Chrysler with short windows, the new Lacrosse is similar. I've not sat in any of them yet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have heard that also, but I have seen no credible data to support that assertion. I think it is simply a styling trend and the safety claim is urban legend. I bet the loss of visibility is more of a safety hazard than are lower beltlines. I bet we see this trend reverse in a few years as people wise up.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

It's hard to see how making a car with poor visibility is going to enhance overall safety. If I want something with a chop-top I'll stick to a '51 Mercury or the like.

Reply to
Eric Blair

">I passed by my dealer today and they have a 2011 Sonata on the lot.

I'll second that, and then some. I had a 02 Elantra and just last Tuesday bought the new 2011 Sonata. Can't believe it's the same company that makes both cars. Absolutely a fantastic car, especially for the money. There isn't a lot on the dealers floors yet but I'll bet the demand will be out of this world once the public realizes what this model really is. I've seen 3 road tests on this new 2011 Sonata and they all compare it to the new lexus---and they are RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy H

Reply to
andy

"andy" wrote

Good luck with it. How is the view out the side windows? That was a concern by a few people as then seem smaller, but I've not seen one up close yet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I got to see one at the Houston Auto show. I prefer my 06 for the reason I have children. The back seat now is tough to get into on my own (I am 6' 3" ) & I can't imagine having to get a kid onto a car seat through that small doorway. Aren't these cars still classified as family sedans or do families have no choice but mini vans now. I guess the car looks sweet however I am also one of those claustrophobic kinds who like more glass area. I am sure I will never be comfortable ridding in the back seat of the new model if the need arises.. Just my

2 cents..
Reply to
Vineeth