2012 Elantra GLS with Preferred Equipment Package

Does the $20,300 (out the door) price of a 2012 Elantra GLS with Preferred Equipment Package seem fair? I live in Michigan and I wonder if that's what others are paying for this car? TYIA!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

Best thing is for you to heavily shop the price in your particular locale, since prices will vary geographically. Before you buy, contact the Dealers at the end of the month in case they are having a Sales Contest/Promotion as they may be more negoitiable to wrap up a sale . Id also check in some very rural parts of your state where the Dealerships overhead might be quite a bit less . What ive found in my area, is that Hyundai Dealers are trying hard to get consumers to pay the MSRP on high MPG cars which i refuse to do ; Id go for a car thats 1-2 years old from a private party to get around that if need be.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Reply to
Partner

Thanks for the tips. At Overstock, the price was cheaper, but not by much. $19,399 but with this;

"Your price does not include dealer documentation (processing), tax, DMV, registration, title, license, other government fees, or dealer installed accessories."

So, it's about $900 cheaper, until all of the above is added in. I'm not sure how much that would add, but it looks like it might be close to the same "out the door" price and it's a dealer much, much further away.

truecar.com didn't allow me to add in the options I wanted but they came in at $18,709. And it didn't say anything about the other fees. I'm pretty sure it would be very close to my original quote too.

So, it looks like my local dealer was giving me a fairly good price. At least, pretty close to what I could find.

Thanks for the tips. I just hope the car is big enough for my 6' 3"

225 frame. : )

If not, I may go with another Sonata.

Reply to
Brian Matthews

Brian - Not sure where you are in MI but my son went on Fitzmall.com to price an Azera and got their low price and then went to the dealership at 12 mile and Telegraph in Southfield as well as the one in Ann Arbor. The dealer in Southfield matched his price but had to find it at another dealership in Ohio. Long story short the new car had the paint and interior protection which he wasn't charged for. Anyways might be worth a try.

Reply to
jp103

I recently test drove a 2012 Accent GLS and there was plenty of room for my 6'3.5" body. In fact, I had spare leg room length wise . The redesigned work they did on this car is simply phenominal . If its the same with the Elantra then you cant go wrong. But id seriously look at a 1-2 year old Elantra to see how much money can be saved .

Reply to
ilbebauck

Well, I purchased the car today. I also got a remote start for it. $20,034, with new plates, out the door. I really, really wanted to buy an American car but was totally underwhelmed at Ford and at Chevy.

I the Ford Fusion would be close to Hyundai. I was wrong. My

2004 Sonata with 84,000 miles on it actually rides better than the Fusion. And the Focus actually handled better. But the salesman wouldn't budge on the $21,500 price!

But the biggest differences were the warranty and gas mileage. 3 year,

36k month bumper to bumper on the Ford. And 5 year, 60k on the drive train. 10 year, 100k drive train warranty with the Hyundai and 5 year, 60k bumper to bumper. As for the gas mileage? I was amazed in the difference. The Focus was something like 26 MPG and the Fusion was at about 21 MPG. I can't remember the exact numbers for the gas mileage, but the Elantra was 29 MPG and it actually is a much better ride, feel wise. And I was amazed at the leg room. I actually had to move the seat UP to drive it. I guess it gives me room to grow. : )

I sure wish the U.S. automakers would stand behind their cars. I would actually spent more if the warranty was as good or the same as the Hyundai. Oh, Ford did offer me an extended warranty for $2000. Ha!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

"Brian Matthews" wrote

Congrats on the new car. If Buick stood behind their cars, I'd still be driving one today. I'm on my second Sonata and have been very happy with Hyundai.

When I had an issue with GM, their answer was that I should just buy a new car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

KWW

The Ford salesman wouldn't even budge a dollar on the Fusion or the Focus. Even when I was walking out the door, I stopped and asked him if he was sure we couldn't work out a deal. It was a no-go.

The problem is these small cars aren't huge money makers and with the good gas mileage, they are also in high demand.

Reply to
Brian Matthews

Have you driven by in the Elantra yet? When my daughter was buying her first car, she went to a Ford dealer and discussed an Escort. Salesman gave her a price, the I went back with her later, checkbook sticking out of shirt pocked to further negotiate and make the buy. Salesman was not there, but another had the info. I asked for a better price but was given the sob story "I'm only making a hundred bucks, etc."

Walked out, daughter upset (down payment was graduation gift, the rest her responsibility) "It's my money, why can't I buy it?" We went to another dealer, eight miles away. Same exact car on the lot, dealer says "you want to drive it". I replied, "No, give me a good price and I'll buy it". He came back in minutes with a price $600 less. Bought it and daughter earned a valuable lesson.

Salesman from dealer 1 called tow days later asking why she has not bought yet. When she told him, he said he could knock off a few bucks. She happily told him, too little, too late; new car is in the driveway.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So you paid the amount he first asked !! You should have countered with a lower offer and then negotiated somewhere in between. Never hurts to try.

I replied, "No, give me a good price and I'll buy it". He came back in minutes with a price $600 less. Bought it and daughter earned a valuable lesson.

Reply to
Partner

It was a price well below what would be expected. I had a figure in mind and she beat it. You had to be there to understand it all.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

1st tank of gas with my Elantra used up. 25 MPG. I was hoping for more, but we do mostly city driving. Hopefully, once it's broken in, it will get better gas mileage.
Reply to
Brian Matthews