2012 Elantra spare rim/tire

We've been driving our new 2012 Elantra for a couple of months now and we really like it. My biggest concern is the lack of any type of a spare tire. Is there anywhere I can buy a rim that would fit, if
needed? It doesn't need to be an alloy wheel like what's on the car, does it? TY in advance for any/all help.
Brian
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:49:33 -0500, Brian Matthews

Many cars, mostly smaller ones, no longer have a spare. While I share your concerns about being stuck, I cannot recall the last time I actually used a spare. I know I did not use the one on my '91 Regal and have not used once since. So at least 20 years.
The dealer certainly can get one, but I'd try www.tirerack.com for starters. Or you local tire store. They have the fancy ones on display, but can usually get you the plain steel wheels too.

Would it hurt to drive the car a short distance with 1 steel wheel and 3 aluminum wheels? I would probably just want to buy a cheap used tire for it, just something to make the car get home.
The 5 year 60k miles gives me the option to call Hyundai for any break downs. But if a tire is flat, they would have to tow it. And that could be a bad thing on the weekend or late at night.
I also haven't had a flat in many years. I think it was the late '80's. But at least having a spare would save me an undrivable car. Even if I just left the spare in the garage, I could always just get a ride to pick it up or have Hyundai tow it to my house.
I'm really confused. I assume a 2012 Elantra comes with a space saver tire on a steel rim in the trunk. If not, this is the first time I've heard of a modern auto without some kind of spare.

sure others do not. They give you an inflation kit.

The 2012 Elantra comes with no spare at all, not even the old donut spare. It has a can of Fix-A-Flat or some such product. Not a very good option with a serious flat tire.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/134504-should-hyundai-more-transparent-about-no-spare-tire.html
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 23:06:28 -0500, Brian Matthews

Can't be any worse than driving on the donut spares that have been used for decades now. Better than getting stranded.

I think I'm going to have to talk to the dealer about this. If I can't use the same lug nuts, I don't know what to do about it. Every car I've ever owned has had either a full size spare or a donut. But to have nothing but a can of Fix-A-Flat is crazy. Even within the 5 year, 60k mile warranty, a tow truck wouldn't be able to do anything but tow the car, somewhere, until a new tire can be put on. That's if the tire gets ruined. Yes, it hasn't happened to me in many years, but you just never know when it could happen. I was thinking about this on Sunday evening as we were driving home from Ohio at 7:00 P.M. We live about 150 miles away and we would have been stranded at some motel or something, all because of a tire. Inexcusable.
Brian Matthews wrote:

You may want to check with the dealer to see if older space saver wheels will fit. Or, as Ed P. said, check with a tire dealer... e.g. Discount tire, etc. You will also need jack, lug wrench, AND lug nuts for the spare since the aluminum wheel lugs won't work. I carry two cans of flat fix but it seems my car shreds a tire every six months so I am glad I have a spare. Curbs and large chunks of sharp metal are hard on tires.
"Brian Matthews" wrote in message
We've been driving our new 2012 Elantra for a couple of months now and nottire. Is there anywhere I can buy a rim that would fit, if needed? It doesn't need to be an alloy wheel like what's on the car, does it? TY in advance for any/all help.
Brian
The problem you may face is where to store the full sized spare. I have replaced the space saver in a few Hondas I have owned but found the space for the regular sized spare not deep enough. And on the newer models I wonder if there is any space. No problem running a steel wheel with your alloys though. And, sadly, I have had quite a few flats over the years where the tire was ruined -- and I needed a spare. Tip -- if you have just had your roof replaced check frequently for roofing nails in you driveway.

Actually, there is a dug out place in the trunk where a donut rim/tire <may> fit. I've heard some 2012 Elantra's have such a spare in Canada.Maybe they have some law that requires a spare tire?
And I hear you about the roof. I must have picked up a dozen or so after I had my roof done. Sure hope I got them all. : )