2012 Sonata Key

Does the 2012 Sonata GLS have a chip in the key. Can a 2012 Sonata be duplicated at a neighborhood locksmith shop?

Reply to
Elaine

No. At least my 2007 and 2010 did not.

Yes, I think I paid about $2. Much better than the high priced chipped keys.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Did your 2010 key have a "laser cut" key. I am asking because my 2009 Kia Optima had the old style conventional key and did not have a chip. It could be duplicated at the corner drug store.

However the 2012 Sonata has a different style key that cannot be cut on the old style key cutters. Not may of the corner stores have invested in the new expensive key cutters.

Also I was told by someone that the 2012 Sonata key has a transponder that must match the particular car it is expected to start. I was told that a blank the was cut to mtach the old one but was not programmed would not start the car.

Reply to
Elaine

Take it to a local locksmith. Most of them have a machine that can test if there's a chip.

If you go to a place like Orchard, they will often let you try the key. They've made a copy, handed me the key, told me to go outside and try it and come back in and if it works, pay, if not, no charge.

Reply to
Evan Platt