2013 Elantra Oil Change frequency

SO the manual says change the oil every 7500 miles. But some people have said to do it every 3750. Is the manual wrong? I know cars have gotten better with the time required between oil changes but what's
the truth?
On 7/24/2015 7:45 PM, Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) wrote:

The manual is correct. Many cars are now in that range. The oil change places try to get you at 3000 so they make more money.
If you do a lot of short trips in cold weather, adjust accordingly to the "severe" by the book.

Thanks you for the answer. Severe to many on the web means a lot of different stuff. Most of my commute is 10 miles each way M-F. I usually pull out the oil stick and wipe on a clean rag to look at how dirty it is just to be safe.
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) wrote:

With this driving cycle, unless the 10 miles is constant stop and go traffic, you are likely fine with 7,500 mile intervals. Severe on the web means nothing. What does your owner's manual say? You have read it, right?

Last I checked, the manual says 7500.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not true. The biggest variable is how the car is operated, not any ulterior motive by the car makers or auto companies.
On 7/25/2015 11:04 AM, Voyager wrote:

BS, you don't think places like Jiffy Lube or even the dealer don't want you to change oil frequently? They all put that 3000 mile sticker on the windshield and never ask about your driving habits or what the manual states.
I did not say "car makers" as they give the straight poop. They have a vested interest in warranty claims though. The 3000 mile interval goes back decades when oil, filters, bearing tolerances were not as good as now. Why slow down the gravy train?
Truth is, the best way to determine the change interval is an oil analysis, but the local shop does not have the lab to to it.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't listen to Jiffy Lube or the dealer as neither designed and built my car. However, they don't know how you drive your car so it isn't unreasonable for them to recommend changes at the most conservative mileage interval. If they recommended changes at 7,500 miles and someone had their engine fail due to sludge because they drove the car once a week, and let it idle in cold weather, etc., who do you think they would sue?
I listen to the owner's manual and service manuals as they are provided by the people who designed and built my car. And I do my own oil changes...
On 7/25/2015 12:30 PM, Voyager wrote:

They look at dollars. That is why they sell many services not needed. As do most dealers.

I used to, but with arthritis I find it easier to dig out a couple of twenties instead of crawling under a car. Local shop that does good job at reasonable prices..
snip

I seem to recall about 15 years ago Consumer Reports did a controlled study using two fleets of taxi cabs in NYC. One fleet they changed the oil & filter every 2500 miles or so and the other fleet they only changed the filter and kept the oil topped up.
After 100k miles, they tore down the engines and compared the wear measurements (rings, shafts, etc) with the measurements taken at the start of the study.
Results: No appreciable difference between the two fleets.
Does anybody else remember this, or was I just dreaming?
On 7/25/2015 5:18 PM, CRNG wrote:

Don't remember the details, but yes. I recall it.
CRNG wrote:

I recall the study, but I don't recall the details. I am pretty sure though that they did not run 100K with no oil changes. I was thinking they did a short change interval and a longer change interval, but I don't recall not doing any changes at all.
However, taxi service is completely unlike how most people drive. Most wear in an engine occurs at engine start and during the cold-hot-cold cycling. Taxis run for hours without being turned off and get started far few times per mile than most cars. This test was interesting, but nearly useless for the type of driving most of us do.
The best way to run extended oil change intervals is to use an oil analysis service such as Blackstone Labs. People I know who have done this find they can go 10-15,000, but the oil begins to degrade pretty fast after that. Many airplane operators use oil analysis since the consequences of engine failure are much greater for an airplane.
With modern synthetic oils, I have no fear of running 10,000 miles between changes, assuming you run at least 10,000 miles per year, and have done that on a couple of cars I didn't care much about. They seemed none the worse for it. However, I still take the conservative approach with most of my vehicles and change every 5,000 at least until they reach the 100K mark where I don't care as much about them and sometimes move to 10K change intervals.
CRNG wrote:

Your memory is pretty faulty. :-)
http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/xs11-info/articles/51-consumer-reportstruth-motor-oils-july-1996.html

Good find.
Yes, my memory is starting to get pretty bad. It's been decreasing along with my libido (down to once a week now). Fortunately at nearly 70, those are my only problems so far.
P,.S. I still change my oil every 5k miles on all my vehicles. I believe less frequently would be fine for my mostly highway driving, but multiples of 5k are easy to remember on the odometer.
CRNG wrote:

Same here. 5K is easy to remember. So is 10K and I use that for my cars that are out of warranty or have 100K mikes or so.
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) wrote:

I by the manual, sort of. It depends on how dirty it looks. I try to do mine every 5k but often procrastinate for a few k miles. Sometimes I just change the filter at 5k and the o&f at 10k. Wal-Mart full synthetic and a good filter.
Paul in Houston TX wrote:

Looks of oil means nothing. Most oils, if they are doing their job, will be quite black by 2,000 miles. If they aren't black, then try a better oil.
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) wrote:

As with most things automotive ... it depends. How often do you drive? How far do you drive each time? Do you idle the car often? Lots of stop and go?
If you live in the country as I do, and drive at least 10 miles each time the engine starts, then 7,500 is fine and I could probably do 10,000 since I use Mobil 1. However, I change at 5,000 to be conservative and since I live in a cold winter area.
If you drive in the city, drive only a few times a week, and drive only a couple of miles each trip, then 3,750 might be too infrequent. It all depends and most owner's manuals discuss this if you take time to read them. :-)

I think the owners manual says it best, 7500 unless you meet certain criteria outlined in the manaul. I've owned many cars and have always done the 3K thing out of habit, but starting with my 2014 Elantra GT and sticking with the manual.